Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

sportsdadof3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

While researching cameras I came across some discussions regarding the importance of features ... Specially the how one does one "rank" ... AF systems vs number points vs FPS?

I spend a good deal of time shooting in poorly lit gyms and stadiums. While FPS is important for sports ... would one consider the focusing system ahead of FPS? Does 39 vs 51 matter? Better?

Thoughts?

Best,

Wendell

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:25 PM
okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

If it can't focus fps means nothing.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:25 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

You always want to work with the least # of focus to get the job done, I'm in 9 more often than not.
AF will be faster, since it doesn't have to work as hard. Multi-CAM3500 trumps Multi-CAM4800, all night long.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:53 PM
sportsdadof3
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading lately that frame rate is over-hyped and curious what others thought.

Best,

Wendell

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:27 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

sportsdadof3 wrote:
...frame rate is over-hyped...

Yes, I think so. For sports, timing trumps FPS anytime. Plus, timing is a learned skill and honing that skill adds to the joy of shooting.

A baseball/fastpitch batter and getting the ball in the frame as he/her is swinging; a shot putter just as the shot leaves his hand and his face is showing all the strain; basketball layup with the ball just at the fingertips; a swimmer doing the fly or breast stroke and the water is still draining off his/her face.

Nail the shot, look at your LCD and say to yourself, "Damn. I'm good!"

IMHO, of course.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:05 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

Oh no, that is too hard!
Even if you have a talent, Skill requires time and real effort.
And unfortunately most people never achieve any "Pride of Workmanship".

They want a camera that can set by dial to the type of subject.
Then point it in the general direction and it will perform instantaneous FullTime AutoFocus while tracking a moving subject through a maze of other objects in the worst of conditions.
It takes 30 fps but only keeps the best 3 for them to choose from.
and of course it cost less then their old CoolPix.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

Not everything can be timed because it happens randomly. Then the option of higher fps is a great feature. What if racing car crashed or spun-out and you missed most of the action because the frame rate was too low ? Unfortunately none of the cameras have a feature that lets you delete a whole burst of shots in one go, and if you try doing it to individual shots then you'll miss the next part of the action.

Sometimes, too, if you are looking through the viewfinder then you may not know when the action is coming because you're watching the batter instead of the pitcher who is out of the scene, etc.

As well as fps, number of AF sensors, etc., you need to consider the processing grunt behind the AF system. Greater AF processing power lets the AF work correctly even at higher fps when there is less viewing time between frames and even when more AF sensors are actively contributing data. That's often part of what separates the likes of a D4 from the likes of a D800 or a D7000. There may be an extra processor dedicated to AF, or a more powerful processor, or just a faster processor (and presumably that requires a bigger battery to cope with the extra load).

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

I shoot Flamenco dancers under practical stage light (no flash). I use one AF box and track the face (for full figure) or nearest eye (for CUs) as the dancer moves. I then trigger bursts @ 10 fps to capture variations of interesting poses in motion.

Can't even remember when I used more than one AF point for this. You can also slave AE to that single point which workes fine except if there's a hot background or costume. For other inanimate subjects and wide open lenses a single point AF box also places your DOF "slice."

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:50 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

I have been addicted to Single Point AF for years.
Only recently have I been using Matrix Metering with 11 points on my D800.
I am now getting better results on moving objects.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:03 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

Give me 7 precise cross type AF points with great spread (rule of thirds please) and I am happy.

Don't care much about the other stuff. As long as the camera has a short blackout time and rock solid AF, 1fps would be fine for me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:03 PM
rick2906
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question on AF system vs number of points vs FPS

Af speed and accuracy first then fps is always nice to help capture the best picture. Number of focus point in last, everyone seem to use 9 af point most of the time.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password