Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review
  
 
vertigo235
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review



Insulate by vertigo235, on Flickr



Mar 20, 2013 at 05:37 PM
hauxon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


I just got this lens. It replaces my Zeiss 35/2 Distagon which has been the default lens on my 5D2 for the last few years. The build quality is maybe not up there with Zeiss but it's way much nicer than previous Sigmas or Canon/Nikon. Still have to see how it wears after years of usage, but it's promising. I have nothing to add regarding the optics tht hasn't been already said, it's sharp and is very impressive in regard to shooting directly into light, almost no loss in contrast and I couldn't get it to flare. I still need to see how it performs at f/8-f/11 (my typical landscape apertures). I was glad to see the filter ring is 67mm so I can share my Lee filter ring with my 100 Makro Planar Auto focus seems on par with the Canon lenses I've had before. I did a ruler test and the lens is accurate at least up close.



Hrannar




My daugter the cupcake maker | Sigma 35mm/1.4 + 5D Mark II




Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
gene A.
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I still worry about using non Canon lenses for pro wedding photography. How will it stand up to the knocks in my bag? How will they cope if it breaks and it needs fixing?

To someone who makes money from their kit, these things really matter. It's a shame because it seems like a very very good lens, buy my trust is not yet high enough to get a Sigma



Having shot almost 1000 weddings at this point in my career I can tell you that between my bag and the backup equipment in the trunk I would have to destroy over $10,000 dollars worth of equipment before I would have any problem continuing to shoot at someones wedding. My bag is like Noah's Ark at least two of everything if something breaks I throw it in the bag grab another one and worry about it when I get home. There is always another complete rig in the trunk of my car, body a few lenses, and a couple of flashes with extra batteries. The same is true of commercial work the last thing I need to worry about is what I didn't bring.



Mar 21, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


hauxon wrote:
I just got this lens. It replaces my Zeiss 35/2 Distagon which has been the default lens on my 5D2 for the last few years. The build quality is maybe not up there with Zeiss but it's way much nicer than previous Sigmas or Canon/Nikon. Still have to see how it wears after years of usage, but it's promising. I have nothing to add regarding the optics tht hasn't been already said, it's sharp and is very impressive in regard to shooting directly into light, almost no loss in contrast and I couldn't get it to flare. I still need
...Show more

You will not get disappointed using any aperture with this lens. And I will probably also sell my Zeiss ZE 35/2 later



Mar 21, 2013 at 03:31 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Lars Johnsson wrote:
You will not get disappointed using any aperture with this lens. And I will probably also sell my Zeiss ZE 35/2 later


Got any examples Lars?
I'm at the point where I'm considering the Sigma as an alternative to my Zeiss 35/2



Mar 25, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


johnahill wrote:
Got any examples Lars?
I'm at the point where I'm considering the Sigma as an alternative to my Zeiss 35/2


When I'm back in Sweden I will post a few pics. I have been abroad since December.



Mar 25, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


WOW! I envy you.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 25, 2013 at 09:44 PM
wiseguy010
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Lars Johnsson wrote:
When I'm back in Sweden I will post a few pics. I have been abroad since December.


Don't they have computers and internet there?



Mar 25, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


wiseguy010 wrote:
Don't they have computers and internet there?


Of course they have. But I need software also. And I have already posted some pics from the Sigma 35. That's a lot more than you have done.......



Mar 25, 2013 at 09:55 PM
wiseguy010
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Yes, these 2 pictures were amazing.


Mar 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ebiggs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
+1billion



Long as we are wishing, make it a 500mm EX f4.



Mar 29, 2013 at 01:54 PM
ebiggs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


If a company is going to make an ultra sharp lens, a 35mm prime is probably it.


Mar 29, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


ebiggs wrote:
Long as we are wishing, make it a 500mm EX f4.


Sigma makes a 500/4,5 EX APO lens for Canon bodies



Mar 29, 2013 at 02:07 PM
curious80
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Gunzorro wrote:
C'mon, I'm not THAT desperate!

Seriously, I would have considered buying a D800/e, if Nikon had had the sense to build a Canon EF mount version that could fully utilize the Canon lenses.

And here it looks like the 35 IS meets or beats the Sig f/2 to f/5.6, tying from f/5.6 to f/11, that's where I live.

I'm not saying the Sig isn't a nice lens, it's very nice. But it's funny how we manage our expectations. Past experience has taught us that Sig can be unreliable, so we're ecstatic to have a category leading optic in our
...Show more

No it is about realizing that making a great 35mm f2 lens is not that hard, but making a great 35mm 1.4 lens is a great achievement. An ultra-fast wide angle lens is an extreme design and from the looks of it Sigma has done a better job at it than everyone else including all the reputed brands, hence the excitement.



Mar 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Lars Johnsson wrote:
Sigma makes a 500/4,5 EX APO lens for Canon bodies


Which has almost the same weight as the Canon f/4.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 31, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Yakim Peled wrote:
Which has almost the same weight as the Canon f/4.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


But the Canon cost about $ 5500 more
You can actually buy the Sigma 500/4,5 & 300/2,8 & 150/2,8 & 35/1,4 and still save some money compared to the Canon 500/4 IS lens



Mar 31, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Yep. And for that you also get IS, faster aperture, faster and more accurate AF and much higher resale value. In the end it's all a matter of personal preferences.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Yakim Peled wrote:
Yep. And for that you also get IS, faster aperture, faster and more accurate AF and much higher resale value. In the end it's all a matter of personal preferences.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


Yes a great lens, but how many people can afford to spend over $ 10k on one lens ? How many times have you done that? It's easy to talk But a different thing when it actually comes to pay the money for it.

And the real question was that someone wished Sigma would make a 500mm lens. And Sigma is doing that



Mar 31, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review


Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes a great lens, but how many people can afford to spend over $ 10k on one lens ? How many times have you done that? It's easy to talk But a different thing when it actually comes to pay the money for it.


Luckily for me, long lenses do not interest me. However, if I were, I'm sure I'd get a 500/4 IS (I) as for no it looks like the best value-for-money IMHO.

Lars Johnsson wrote:
And the real question was that someone wished Sigma would make a 500mm lens. And Sigma is doing that


He was asking for a 500/5.6 and I presume it was to save weight (and possibly money as well). Sigma made some unique lenses no other lens maker make: 8-16, a small 30/1.4, 150/2.8, 150/2.8 OS, 120-300/2.8 OS to name a few. Now, a 2Kg. 500/5.6 OS would sound very interesting, don't you think? If I was after long lenses such a lens would be extremely appealing to me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password