Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Lars: I am admittedly not an expert in taking test shots, because I usually just get a lens and shoot normal subjects with it. With the earlier lenses and camera bodies I had, that worked out just fine. I never had any reason (or desire) to take pictures of brick walls or focus targets.

That said, I did take several shots with a tripod, cable release and a LensAlign target which I posted in that same thread. They all showed the same problem.

In any event, as I said earlier in this thread Canon confirmed my 5D3 has AF issues and they're in the process of fixing it now (hopefully). I'll be curious to see how the Sigma 35 & 85 performs when I get the 5D3 back from Canon.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:15 AM
saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

So far 1 in 5 lenses not focusing correctly per the poll results. Not good.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

For what it's worth - I shot either still subjects (my wife) or other objects with a tripod, remote release, 5 shots each MFA, single center point focus etc.
Also I had the 50 1.2 and it was fine.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Shield wrote:
For what it's worth - I shot either still subjects (my wife) or other objects with a tripod, remote release, 5 shots each MFA, single center point focus etc.
Also I had the 50 1.2 and it was fine.

Still subject = people (your wife)

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Yep, deadweight on the couch..

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:48 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Question for those who voted "No, I got big back or front focus"

Does it front or back focus consistently meaning both near and far or is it like the sigma 50 that front focuses up close and switches to back focus 10 feet out or so?

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:51 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

goosemang wrote:
yeah, i mean i don't want to be presumptuous about the (in)abilities of others, but i honestly can't fathom the whole "i tried seven copies and all of them were crap!" thing.

yeah after 3 bad copies of the Sigma 50 I just gave up and got the canon version which was perfect. I couldn't imagine going through the trouble of reboxing and shipping 7 of them when they are obviously garbage. I guess my skills in shooting at f1.4 suddenly got better between Sigma #3 and the Canon...

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 12:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:55 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

dadgummit wrote:
Question for those who voted "No, I got big back or front focus"

Does it front or back focus consistently meaning both near and far or is it like the sigma 50 that front focuses up close and switches to back focus 10 feet out or so?

That was the worst. It took me 3 copies of the sigma 50 to get one that didn't do that. Even though a found a good one I still went with the 50L

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 01:02 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:56 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

saneproduction wrote:

That was the worst. It took me 3 copies to get one that didn't do that.

Thanks, I will just stick with the 35L. I was hoping for good things from the new sigma, it is a little sharper and much less CA than the Canon.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:58 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

I was talking about the sigma 50. I did eventually get the 50L. Not going through that with 35. My 35L was used and has paid for itself for sure. I like the colors and handling to be consistent across all my lenses anyway.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

dadgummit wrote:
yeah after 3 bad copies of the Sigma 50 I just gave up and got the canon version which was perfect. I couldn't imagine going through the trouble of reboxing and shipping 7 of them when they are obviously garbage. I guess my skills in shooting at f1.4 suddenly got better between Sigma #3 and the Canon...

This is exactly my point. I had the 35L before (with my 5D2) and it focused perfectly. It blows me away that people think 20% of buyers of this lens don't know how to focus properly. Incredible presumption.

If my 5D3 comes back from Canon service and the Sigma 35 still focuses inconsistently, I'll probably pick up a new or used 35L. Not quite as sharp wide open, but still a great lens.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:08 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

dadgummit wrote:

but most copies of the canon 50 1.4 do the very same thing PLUS the AF tends to break and has low precision gearing

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy wrote:
This is exactly my point. I had the 35L before (with my 5D2) and it focused perfectly. It blows me away that people think 20% of buyers of this lens don't know how to focus properly. Incredible presumption.

If my 5D3 comes back from Canon service and the Sigma 35 still focuses inconsistently, I'll probably pick up a new or used 35L. Not quite as sharp wide open, but still a great lens.

Nobody except you have been writing or suggesting that 20% of the buyers don't know how to focus properly. But I would say that your lens testing is not properly done.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:29 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Nobody except you have been writing or suggesting that 20% of the buyers don't know how to focus properly. But I would say that your lens testing is not properly done.

Really Lars?

what are the odds 30% of people on this board don't know how to shoot at 1.4?

I'd say the odds are pretty big. I've seen some ridiculous threads about people "testing" the AF and there being issues. I'm sure there are some that have issues but I'm sure a bunch of the complainers complain about everything.

Someone said that earlier in the thread. Doesn't get more clear than that.

How do you account for the fact that I, and others here, have no problems with other lenses like a 35L with the exact same characteristics (35mm, f/1.4) but do have issues with the Sigma? Are we all collectively hallucinating?

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy wrote:
Really Lars?

Someone said that earlier in the thread. Doesn't get more clear than that.

How do you account for the fact that I, and others here, have no problems with other lenses like a 35L with the exact same characteristics (35mm, f/1.4) but do have issues with the Sigma? Are we all collectively hallucinating?

Ironically I have had issues with my 35L and 1ds mK III. I returned it. I am looking forward to trying the Sigma on my 5d MK III. I have had good experience with both the 85 and 50 on my Nikon d3x and d800.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

@badlydrawnboy

I'm not talking about others when I reply to you. So don't try to involve others here.

1. You have been posting at least 200 post lately that only involves AF and focus issues. So it's nearly impossible not to read a few of those. And I know for sure you don't test or try your new lenses in a proper way for AF issues. You have described how you do in many posts. Handholding the camera and shooting at subjects like children or dogs. And you also say that those are perfect for testing the AF on a new lens. If I tested my lenses like that I would probably also have seven lenses with AF issues. You also test them at very close range with moving subjects. If you or the child/dog only move a couple of cm it will make the pic OOF. Many people here have told you it's not a good way to test the AF.

2. When somebody post about seven lenses and one camera with AF issues in a short time. It's very easy to suspect that the testing or the photographer when testing is doing something wrong. It's nearly impossible to buy that many different lenses in a rather short time with exactly the same problems or faults. (maybe you can if buying hundreds of lenses of course)

3. Everyone can get a bad lens with AF problems when buying a new lens. Even two if unlucky. But not seven + a camera in a short timespan.........

4 Test your next seven lenses with tripod and a static/still subject. Then I'm sure at least 5 or 6 will be good...............

5. Do you belive you are just unlucky every time you buy a new lens ?

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:47 AM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

I am sure there are people who got bad copies so lets not get judgmental about those who report issues.

Based on the poll so far, 30 out of 36 copies were fine and 6 had issues. Plus we have lens rentals report as well that all of their 30 copies were spot on with no issues. So unlike sigma 50m 1.4 and 85mm 1.4, there does not seem to be a widespread systematic problem with the lens. Some people got bad copies as you could with any lens including canon lenses, but in general the lens seems great with no issues.

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:35 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

curious80 wrote:
I am sure there are people who got bad copies so lets not get judgmental about those who report issues.

Based on the poll so far, 30 out of 36 copies were fine and 6 had issues. Plus we have lens rentals report as well that all of their 30 copies were spot on with no issues. So unlike sigma 50m 1.4 and 85mm 1.4, there does not seem to be a widespread systematic problem with the lens. Some people got bad copies as you could with any lens including canon lenses, but in general the lens seems great with no
...Show more

When a user like Roger C at Lensrentals get 30 copies of the Sigma lens. And the AF where spot on with every lens he got. That says a lot about the AF with this lens

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:05 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
When a user like Roger C at Lensrentals get 30 copies of the Sigma lens. And the AF where spot on with every lens he got. That says a lot about the AF with this lens

Or conversely, it says very little about his testing methodology.

A lot of the apparent focus problems with this lens seem to be closer-in, which may be closer than what a test bench would direct you to use or that quick focus tests would show.

Point is - just because Roger tested 30x copies and found them good doesn't mean they're all good at all distances - only the distance(s) he tested.

I'm not arguing for or against the lens, no horse in this race, but until the details of Roger's testing is known (have a link? I only have the one Sigma 35 blog post), then I would be hesitant to call his results iron-clad for the focus reliability.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:24 AM
macrobild
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

It is somewhat amusing to read all the comments.
First of all , you have to understand that Canon's AF has minor variations and AF accuracy is equivalent to f- 2.8 (3.4 to be exact) in cameras like 5dmk2 and therefore a AF test shall be made at F- 2.8 and with minor variations calculated in the results (and in the depth of field of 2,8). Depending on the lens and AF-motor the results can varies a lot.Take a series of 5 pictures and let the AF do a new measurement between every picture and you get maybe 2 of 5 really sharp. That a number of lenses exhibit the absolute focal plain with errors at f 1.4 and at short distance is therefore not surprising.

There are numbers of parameters who can make errors, AF does not work 100%
1.AF is wrongly calibrated in the camera
2.The lens is incorrectly calibrated,
3. Both the lens and camera are incorrectly calibrated

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password