New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

MaximeTrepreau
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Mine works, I just wanted to have some statistics.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:29 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

AF "works" but it's not accurate. Mine is going back and I'm waiting for #2. Generally front focuses severely at about 8-10 feet away; + 17 AF fixes this somewhat but then backfocuses up close.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:28 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

i decided to order this lens to try it out, but will send it back if it has real issues.

i have to admit, however, that i am SHOCKED to see a third of people responding to this poll are having big AF issues with this lens, considering sigma's supposed renewed focus on QA.

what are the odds 30% of people on this board don't know how to shoot at 1.4?

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:50 AM
dennisgibson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

goosemang wrote:
i decided to order this lens to try it out, but will send it back if it has real issues.

i have to admit, however, that i am SHOCKED to see a third of people responding to this poll are having big AF issues with this lens, considering sigma's supposed renewed focus on QA.

I'd say the odds are pretty big. I've seen some ridiculous threads about people "testing" the AF and there being issues. I'm sure there are some that have issues but I'm sure a bunch of the complainers complain about everything.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

dennisgibson wrote:
I'd say the odds are pretty big. I've seen some ridiculous threads about people "testing" the AF and there being issues. I'm sure there are some that have issues but I'm sure a bunch of the complainers complain about everything.

Agree the odds are pretty big. Or huge You often read that people here even buy 4-5 lenses and all have AF or other issues. Or the post a pic from their new lens and ask if it's sharp enough. After getting a couple of replies that it should be better they send it back

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

yeah, i mean i don't want to be presumptuous about the (in)abilities of others, but i honestly can't fathom the whole "i tried seven copies and all of them were crap!" thing.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:25 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

not had a single issue with mine

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

goosemang wrote:
yeah, i mean i don't want to be presumptuous about the (in)abilities of others, but i honestly can't fathom the whole "i tried seven copies and all of them were crap!" thing.

+1

And every review including the latest today from Bryan Carnathan say the AF is very good in the new Sigma lens.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:20 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

You guys are all so smart. Maybe you can explain why I had no issues with my 35L or 85L but have had two copies of the Sigma 35 that front-focus badly? How does that fit into your theory?

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:39 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

no issues with focus or IQ. Sigma 35mm F1.4 is an excellent lens

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:50 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
+1

And every review including the latest today from Bryan Carnathan say the AF is very good in the new Sigma lens.

I guess you didn't see this part of his review:

A somewhat consistent and quite noticeable front focus problem on both of my 5D Mark III bodies required AFMA to correct.

For the people that got a good copy: good for you. That doesn't mean there aren't bad copies out there. My first front-focused way beyond what could be fixed with AFMA. I sent test shots into Sigma and they suggested I return it to B&H. My second requires an adjustment of +15, but even then still front-focuses at distances greater than 8 feet. I'm considering keeping it because I rarely shoot beyond 8 ft., but really, if I'm going to pay $900 for a lens it should AF properly.

My Canon 24-70, 40/2.8 and 50/1.4 all focus accurately and require no more than a +/- 2 AFMA. My 35L and 85L that I used to have focused accurately. If I can focus accurately at 85/1.2, I can definitely do it at 35/1.4.

Many well-known reviewers have pointed out the significant AF issues with the Sigma 50/1.4 even after trying several copies. Is it really that much of a stretch to surmise that the 35/1.4 still might have issues in some cases? No.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy wrote:
You guys are all so smart. Maybe you can explain why I had no issues with my 35L or 85L but have had two copies of the Sigma 35 that front-focus badly? How does that fit into your theory?

But you have posted hundreds of times about many other Canon lenses and cameras that also had issues in the last couple of months. Either you have to be the most unlucky person on the globe when buying lenses/cameras or it's something else.
You forgot to mention your lenses with issues here. Two Sigma 35/1,4------two Canon 50L-------two Sigma 50/1,4------Sigma 85/1,4-----one Canon body........and I probably forgot a few

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:53 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
But you have posted hundreds of times about many other Canon lenses and cameras that also had issues in the last couple of months. Either you have to be the most unlucky person on the globe when buying lenses/cameras or it's something else.

I only have one camera, so I could not have posted about other Canon cameras with issues. What I said was that my previous Canon 5D and 5DII had no AF issues, but I suspected my 5D3 might have issues with the outer AF points. The Canon lenses all focus very accurately with the center point, but I was noticing some unusual behavior with the outer points, so I sent it in.

And guess what? I just heard back from them and the AF system does, in fact, need adjustment.

What's interesting is that the Sigma 35s I've tried have both been much further off than the Canon lenses. So even though there is a confirmed problem with the AF in my 5D3, it's still possible that I got a bad copy of the Sigma 35 — especially the first one that was front-focusing by several inches.

BTW, for whatever it's worth, I'm not a novice. I've had work published in 3 national magazines and I used to shoot weddings professionally.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

For anyone who's having problems, please list your camera body.
I'll go first: Canon 5D Mark III.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:02 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy wrote:

I suppose you fit perfectly! They said "many" and "HUGE" but not all! You, sir, are one of the few they seem to hold in high regard that CAN focus properly. They are in fact PRAISING your skills!

No need to be unnecessarily confrontational...

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

I've never used this lens. Can I vote?

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

goosemang wrote:

Needing MFA is different from imprecise AF though.

Heck every single lens I have EVER used has needed some MFA on every body I've ever had to get the absolute best out of it and many have needed quite a few steps of it and I've seen no difference between Canon and third party lenses (the only thing I note is that my 5D3 tends to need less MFA than all the other bodies, considering that, for some reason, almost all lenses always need correction in the same direction on any body, maybe they just decided to shift the 5D3's avg distance in that direction a bit?).

I'm stunned that only 1/3 would claim to need MFA!! For an f/1.4, in particular, that would actually be a remarkable good result, and considering that bodies vary to you really can't have one any better.

What I'd be interested in is how fast the AF is, how it does in low light/low contrast and how precise it is, these days accuracy can always be adjusted by MFA, but the other aspects (speed, tricky target ability, precision) can't be adjusted.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

so i got mine after lunch today. i've only played around with it a little, but it took a +5 MA right off the bat. i'll let you all know how it performs as i put it through the paces

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:05 PM
MaximeTrepreau
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

Regarding AF speed on a 6D. It needs a bit less than 1s to go from near MFD to 2.5m in normal light.

In Ultra low light, when you can't do manual focus (because viewfinder is too dark) but 6D still sees something. It will focus in 2.5s.

In Very low light, when you can manual focus it will take 1s.

All this with good contrast. I still have to test low contrast.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM - AF

badlydrawnboy wrote:

Probably because you did a not so good focus test with the Sigma 35/1,4. I looked at it in your long post about that lens. Instead of a still subject for testing the AF. You did use small children and dogs. And you even wrote in the post that you belive dogs are the perfect subjects for testing the AF in new lenses
Use a static/still subject and a tripod just to be sure it's not a user error. You have to make 100% sure it's not an error from you when testing. Especially when you also write in thread about 7 other lenses you have to send back because of AF issues.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.