Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              39       40       end

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Lightsearcher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Some pictures I shoot yesterday walking Times Square

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.18 #2 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.18 #3 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Great shots Lightsearcher!

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.18 #4 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Hardcore wrote:
Great shots Lightsearcher!

Thank you Hardcore

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:49 AM
ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #5 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Thought I'd muck back in to the thread I started.

I hadn't used the awesome Sigma 35 on my D800 so I thought I'd check out how it performs with such a demanding sensor. Well, I'm BLOWN AWAY to be honest. It eats the D800 sensor for breakfast....

This picture is unedited. I uploaded in ViewNX2 which does carry across the in-camera sharpness settings, however it was still insanely sharp in Aperture which does not hold the cameras sharpness settings. Staggering really. Easily Sigmas greatest ever lens in my opinion.

Alicia (3) by ct8282, on Flickr

These pictures have had some usual processing applied....

Alicia (1) by ct8282, on Flickr

Alicia (2) by ct8282, on Flickr

And this one was my fave of the bunch so I put a little more processing through it....

Alicia (5) by ct8282, on Flickr

One of the points that was discussed early on is this thread was distortion at this focal length meaning that this this lens wouldn't be good for portraits. Well, I couldn't disagree more to be honest. The only image of the 4 above that shows any discernible distortion is 3 but she was literally about 25cm from the lens as she lunged forward.
The other thing that really amazed me about this lens on the D800 was it's ability to nail focus. I will need to get the lens back on my D4 as I'm convinced it performed much better with AF on my D800 strangely.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.18 #6 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Great shots. Hate to drag out the distortion debate, but I do notice distortion shooting head/shoulder shots with this focal length. Not nearly as flattering as shooting at 70mm plus. My wife even noticed it right away when I took some photos of our kids. She noticed their faces looked fat, which they did.

I am also blown away by the sharpness of this lens on the d800. It is as sharp wide open as my 70-200mm @ f2.8. Pretty amazing really. I have no fear of shooting wide open like some of the other fast primes I have owned.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Cagey75

p.18 #7 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Lovely shots all round, makes me want to get out and use it more [and also wish I was heading back to NYC!]

On the distortion, I think this focal length is better for further back portraits. Scenic portraits if you like, where the person is obviously the main subject but you have more back drop. And full length shots too.

You don't want to be in so close with any short lens. I would say on FX, especially, you want an 85mm for no distortion head shots. And the 1.8G is too cheap and too good not to have

By further back I mean like this: full size is on flickr

One pose too many by Cagey75, on Flickr
Nikon D800E [EXIF].
Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/1.4
ISO Speed: 200
Focal Length: 35 mm

That was really a lens tester, our Emily was getting a bit fed up with me asking her to pose and pulled this face, I thought it was a keep then But you see, no distortion as I gave her room.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:45 PM
happyant

p.18 #8 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Heres one wide open on the D700

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Tete
• •
p.18 #9 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

wow. I was just about to ask about how it looks wih the D700. WOWSERS! awesome awsome awesome.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.18 #10 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

ct8282 wrote:
One of the points that was discussed early on is this thread was distortion at this focal length meaning that this this lens wouldn't be good for portraits. Well, I couldn't disagree more to be honest. The only image of the 4 above that shows any discernible distortion is 3 but she was literally about 25cm from the lens as she lunged forward.

It is usually the nose that is the issue and babies have different quite different noses and facial features to adults.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

domdog31
• • •
p.18 #11 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

any comments on TTL metering with flash? The sigma 85 and 50 1.4 usually overexposed with Nikon TTL flash....otherwise these looks amazing.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:30 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.18 #12 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

once in a lifetime by mariosworld343, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:30 PM
happyant

p.18 #13 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Would a Circular Polarizer be beneficial with this lens?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:13 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.18 #14 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Happyant, when she asked Daddy if he would buy her a horse, perhaps "Maybe later honey" would have worked better than "No Way!" even though the later answer is the wiser one....been there /done that

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.18 #15 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

happyant wrote:
Would a Circular Polarizer be beneficial with this lens?

I use a CP on this lens. As with all lenses, there are times when I really like using a Circular Polarizer, so yes, it is beneficial.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.18 #16 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

yummy stir fry by mariosworld343, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:52 AM
gx24

p.18 #17 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

I use the majority of time the 35 ( nikon variant ) i love the look of it, renders in a way similar to the 85 1.4g , colors, contrast, skin tones , and i love the way its biting the backround blur at f1.4 ( pleasing ) , i use it for people, weddings and portraits, not for lanscape, its one hell of a lens, never had an issue with it.

I know that mtf and resolution its not always a way to judge a lens, think of canon 50L that is a dream lens for people at f1.2 , love the look bokeh aside.
The samples from people that have the sigma, with no offence, looks mechanical with people ( ugly ), the bokeh looks harsh, maybe because of the quantity of the contrast.

At some point i will go to test it in a store along with my nikon, when the lens will be available, if i like it, i will buy it, love the focal lenght, also considering its costs half that what i paid for the 35g.

Sorry for the english.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:45 AM
afm901
• •
p.18 #18 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

Hardcore wrote:
Great shots. Hate to drag out the distortion debate, but I do notice distortion shooting head/shoulder shots with this focal length. Not nearly as flattering as shooting at 70mm plus. My wife even noticed it right away when I took some photos of our kids. She noticed their faces looked fat, which they did.

It seems some people forget that there is no way around the fact that you are going to get perspective and geometric distortion when using a 35mm lens as a portrait lens. It's a function of the focal length, sensor size, and subject distance. It does not matter how good the lens is optically, either. Subjects are going to look a lot more "natural" (as we see them through our own eyes) when shot with an 85mm to 135mm lens.

Lens quality does have a huge impact on barrel distortion and pincushion distortion. The Sigma lens seems to be incredibly good in this area. Also, the bokeh, contrast, color, and resolution wide open are fantastic.

Many of the shots in this thread are just plain incredible. Sigma has a winner here!

Scott

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.18 #19 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

gx24 wrote:
The samples from people that have the sigma, with no offence, looks mechanical with people ( ugly ), the bokeh looks harsh, maybe because of the quantity of the contrast.

If the Nikon works for you then good for you, it's a great lens indeed, however, stating bluntly that everyone's portrait with the Sigma is ugly with a harsh bokeh without any head to head comparison or any objective measures is just ignorant with all do respect. It seems that some people who just want to trash this lens resort to merely subjective notions in order to achieve that, since they cannot achieve that through measurable aspects because the Sigma 35 1.4 beats other competition in those measurable aspects. Even in subjective aspects (bokeh), many reviews and users of Sigma, Zeiss, Nikon clearly showed no inferiority in the Sigma bokeh.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:26 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.18 #20 · Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW

hijazist wrote:
If the Nikon works for you then good for you, it's a great lens indeed, however, stating bluntly that everyone's portrait with the Sigma is ugly with a harsh bokeh without any head to head comparison or any objective measures is just ignorant with all do respect. It seems that some people who just want to trash this lens resort to merely subjective notions in order to achieve that, since they cannot achieve that through measurable aspects because the Sigma 35 1.4 beats other competition in those measurable aspects. Even in subjective aspects (bokeh), many reviews and users of Sigma,
...Show more

I agree with the statement of gx24 completely. Almost every page in this thread has one or more pictures that show exactly what he describes. Just look. But I suppose you are too busy with the "measurable aspects".

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password