Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Other-Guy-Photo

Sam Hassas
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Other-Guy-Photo

Sup FM! Long time no see.

Showed this to some colleges of mine, (hi Gen peeps!). Think its a nice case study.

Copy pasta ::

I have no real reason in making this post other then it was an, "AHA!" moment that we all know happens but don't always get such a clear example of. This was sad to hear from the brides/family side but extremely rewarding for me.

Shot a wedding for a Palestinian couple about 6 months ago. They had a wedding here in the States and also made plans to go back to their home country as well. After some debate they said it wasn't in budget to fly us to both weddings. They hired, (in their own words) the best local photographer there.

Both weddings came and went with a week from each other. I presented mine and the other guy presented his.

Well I had an album consult for them this week and she brought me the other photographers images in hopes they could be edited. She cried. The regrets were so apparent. Most relavent comment of the evening came from the mom in her broken English while speaking with her hands, "he had same camera as you!!! Why they look so bad!?

These photos were NOT hand picked by me. They are directly copied from the brides Facebook album in both cases. 36 from me and 20 from otherguyphoto

Just remember, these were posted by the BRIDE on her FB. I never blogged these, (as I haven't blogged in over a year). They represent her faves from 2 similar but different days.

Its not the gear..... never was.

Crap. I tried to figure a way of posting these without posting these and eh. If other-guy-photo is on FM, sorry dude. I'll buy you a falafel if I ever see you.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:05 AM
marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Other-Guy-Photo

wow! chalk and cheese.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:18 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Other-Guy-Photo

If that other guy is being concidered the best local photog, than he probably is not cheap at all. Where the heck do these guys find their clients?
The other posibility is that grandma found him- he was taking her wedding pictures also

As for Sam- usuall great stuff- post more man.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:10 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Other-Guy-Photo

Wow... Game over. Well done dude.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:16 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Other-Guy-Photo

Hi Samsauce!!!

Well since you didn't have your usual watermark, I initially thought the first set was the "other" guys, and I thought to myself...." I must really really suck " if these were considered bad by you. Then I scrolled down further and realized they were your photos, and I'm like... makes sense now!!! These are awesome!!!

The second set which was by the "other" guy, ... well the couple looked really really different just because of the "other" guys work. They looked better in yours obviously.

Nice to see you post again Mr. Samsauce. Amazing work and an inspiration, always!!!!

Ron

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:56 AM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Other-Guy-Photo

Hey dude.

I'm sorry Sam, but I prefer the second set

You need to go back to on camera flash, off camera flash is sooo 2012!

See you soon

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:47 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Other-Guy-Photo

I so badly want to make very inappropriate jokes but I will not.
T
Convincing a bride to see the big picture is hard.

We just had a bride cancel because her friend who does "food" photography offered to do it for free. And this was going to be a VERY high class wedding. Not much we can say.
I just said good luck. She will learn her lesson the hard way.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:55 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Other-Guy-Photo

Well, I'm not sure what the message here is, but obviously you get what you pay for. This is preaching to the choir though. I'd say show these privately to brides to make a point if you're being low-balled. Outside that... yea, it sucks. Oh, and I hope you told her you will not include his shots with yours in a presentation.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:20 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Other-Guy-Photo

Whoa. There's no editing that flashed nightmare to look remotely similar to yours. What a crappy situation. :/

I would say you have pretty strong ammunition here for future brides.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Other-Guy-Photo

amonline wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what the message here is, but obviously you get what you pay for. This is preaching to the choir though. I'd say show these privately to brides to make a point if you're being low-balled. Outside that... yea, it sucks. Oh, and I hope you told her you will not include his shots with yours in a presentation.

The message is ..... it is not the camera - or the lens - or how many lenses ..... it is the shooter pressing the button. simple.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chris_243
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Other-Guy-Photo

Hold on, so you're saying if I buy all the same gear as you my images WON'T look like yours? no way!

To be fair though, at least they are in focus.... kinda hard to miss at f11

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:42 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Other-Guy-Photo

ouch...i feel so sorry for the couple.

It just shocks me when this happens, though...were they duped? Did they not see any sample images for the "best" guy?

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:01 PM
fijiman2
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Other-Guy-Photo

My professor once said - "It's not how well you are equipped. It's how well you use it"

Solid set btw.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Other-Guy-Photo

amonline wrote:

You're right. Just feels great to have such a clear example. We know this happens and never get the satisfaction of being able to prove it.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Other-Guy-Photo

I would be worried if the bride wants to integrate the photos from the other guy into the album. Zoinks.

Are Americans even allowed to enter Palestine freely?

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Other-Guy-Photo

Won't say I wasn't hesitate BUT I'm from that part of the world to begin with. I'd have grown a beard and wore pajamas. Ezio...

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:28 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Other-Guy-Photo

hardlyboring wrote:
I so badly want to make very inappropriate jokes but I will not.
T
Convincing a bride to see the big picture is hard.

We just had a bride cancel because her friend who does "food" photography offered to do it for free. And this was going to be a VERY high class wedding. Not much we can say.
I just said good luck. She will learn her lesson the hard way.

so she will get some great images of her cake...

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:18 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Other-Guy-Photo

ERMAHGERD!

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:27 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Other-Guy-Photo

Some of the shots are nice, some of them don't really work for me. No aesthetics, not even background blur. You can probably improve them in post.

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 01:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:33 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Other-Guy-Photo

Jesus...that shit is straight up awful. No PP, nothing but F11, direct flash...it's like 1999 called and wants their technique back. And to think the amount of money they probably spent on these ceremonies and stuff. Your work is awesome btw. You killed it!

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:56 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password