Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

lee1371

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

I've looked online and I've seen a few threads about people complaining about Photoshop Surface Blur being slow.

I'm using a intel I7-3770, 12gb RAM, Geforce 640 video card.

The thing is, when I first receieved the desktop in November and installed cs6, surface blur was very snappy. Only recently has it seemed to slow down by minutes. I can't remember if the images I worked on in November were in 8bit mode, but I think I was doing both, surface blur was fast. 8bit now is much faster, but still a bit slower than I remember back at first installation.

I've gone and updated the video driver, changed preferences, tile sizes, etc. Nothing helping.

I just want to experience what I first had...Any suggestions?

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

From Adobe forums:

In PS preference/performance check to see if the GPU has been disabled. Can happen if PS sees a problem with it.

You might want to post your question there if you continue to have problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop?view=overview

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:29 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

Even if it hasn't been turned off, turn it off close Photoshop then open and reenable it, be sure under advanced the "use open cl " is checked off. Worked for me.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

Any chance you've got optimus on in your bios and it is switching between your integrated and discrete video cards when you aren't putting a high demand on it ... then, when you need some real GPU power, ooops, you're running on the integrated instead of the discrete.

I ran into that with a laptop ... just had to disable optimus in bios settings. Not sure if desktop has optimus or not, but just in case.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:59 AM
lee1371

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

Sorry, but how do I figure this out? Not that tech savvy...

I've tried experimenting with the preference/performance pieces, but I see no change. This is the first I've heard about optimus and bios.

RustyBug wrote:
Any chance you've got optimus on in your bios and it is switching between your integrated and discrete video cards when you aren't putting a high demand on it ... then, when you need some real GPU power, ooops, you're running on the integrated instead of the discrete.

I ran into that with a laptop ... just had to disable optimus in bios settings. Not sure if desktop has optimus or not, but just in case.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · photoshop Cs6 surface Blur slow

It's not that hard, but I'd not feel comfortable trying to explain it ... someone else is likely better suited to guiding you if you've got no experience at bios settings. If you've got a friend, they can check it pretty quickly.

Is it a new PC that you still have customer service / tech support? If so, and you call to report it as a "malfunction" ... running too slow, etc ... the tech support will go looking for the culprit with you ... steering your through the steps to figure it out, be it this or something else.

We had to go through the iterations of protocol @ latest drivers, etc. before we got there ... but we got there. You might be able to "prompt" them to check for it sooner, rather than later. Or they may simply say, "Nope, not that, yours doesn't have Optimus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

I read elsewhere that Optimus is going into desktops ... so, it is viable to at least check for it.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:11 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password