New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · PC lens for Leica M

Maksim Noy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC lens for Leica M

Considering that the new M will be able to make use of tilt-shift lenses and assuming that adapters for all kinds of mounts are likely forthcoming for it, what would be an ideal wider PC lens to pair with it if compactness is very important? I guess the R 28mm Super Angulon is an easy choice. Or the current Schneider version of it. Any other suggestions?

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:27 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC lens for Leica M

The old PC-Nikkor 35 is pretty compact, though may not be as wide as you want.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:31 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC lens for Leica M

The 24mm OM is very well regarded, although I tried one once and it had horrible blue fringes

Mike

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:36 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC lens for Leica M

Maksim Noy wrote:
Considering that the new M will be able to make use of tilt-shift lenses and assuming that adapters for all kinds of mounts are likely forthcoming for it, what would be an ideal wider PC lens to pair with it if compactness is very important? I guess the R 28mm Super Angulon is an easy choice. Or the current Schneider version of it. Any other suggestions?

Those two lenses are not so strong until stopped down somewhat, to f/5.6-f/8.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:36 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PC lens for Leica M

Wouldn't most shift lenses generally be used stopped down?

Everything I recall seeing/reading on here in regards to alt/legacy PC glass points to the Canon FD 35/2.8. Isn't that lens a beast?

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:01 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PC lens for Leica M

If by "beast" you mean it's very large then no, it's not large at all. Smaller than the Super Angulon. It's also very good but I find I use the tilt function on 35mm more than shift (ie I use wider for city stuff/shift and longer for landscape/tilt). But it's all personal preference.

Mike

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:48 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PC lens for Leica M

I meant optical beast. Isn't the Canon tilt/shift?

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:07 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PC lens for Leica M

OK I wasn't sure. Yes it is very good, although I don't think as good as the 24mm TSE II (I have the 35mm but not the 24mm TSE II so I'm going by user reports). Yes, the 35mm is T/S, hence my comment that I find I use the tilt more than the shift on 35mm, while on the 17mm I use the shift more.

Mike

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Maksim Noy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PC lens for Leica M

Thanks for the pointers everyone!

More affordable options are:
- Nikkor PC 35 at < 250
- Nikkor PC 28 3.5 < 350
- OM 35 Shift < 350

Next tier:
- Canon FD TS-E 35 2.8 is the only one of these with tilt, ~ 800
- OM 24 Shift is generally a more useful fl for architecture at < 1000
- Leica/Schneider 28s are ~1400

There are also the current Nikon PC-E 24 3.5 at ~1500 with tilt and aperture ring, though the size is quite different from the earlier lenses. A helpful illustration vs a Nikkor 28 PC from kr:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/24mm-pc/D3S_3043-vs-28pc.jpg

EF Canon TS-Es are very nice, but would need an adapter with aperture control (a long shot for M mount).

Did I miss any good compact options?

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:48 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PC lens for Leica M

Nope, and thanks to the GXR's M-mount module, many M-mount adapters are already available. If you don't need tilt, the black knob version of the Nikon 28/3.5 was a great performer on my DsIII when I shot Canon. I preferred it over the the FD TS 35/2.8 (better colors, less CA) but I hardly ever used the tilt function.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Maksim Noy

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PC lens for Leica M

Really what should be happening here is that someone (Schneider, Zeiss, CV, one of us) should put out at least one modern PC (even better with tilt) lens specifically for mirrorless systems. They will be the bulk of the photography market for the foreseeable future, that much is clear already. Hopefully that lens would cover the full 35mm format and be useful for Leica, upcoming Sony ff nex, as well as all the existing aps-c/m43 bodies. It's pretty accepted that these lenses can be mf and manual aperture already and that not be seen as a limitation. Would be painless to share between systems.

I know we can buy any of the ones above and there are adapters for m43 that let you use any nikon lens like a pc lens and probably others (though not M lenses). But it's still a pretty clunky solution. Even the smallest would be much larger than it needs to be, not great for what's intended to be a compact and/or travel system.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:31 PM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PC lens for Leica M

Samyang 24 TS is coming soon, though "compactness" is probably not its forte.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Maksim Noy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PC lens for Leica M

Looks to be about the same size as the current Nikons, thanks for pointing it out. Should be a good option for ~850 in US. Still, a compact mirrorless-specific version is needed.

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PC lens for Leica M

I would say the new Schneider PC-Tilt shift 28/4.5 lens for nikon or canon would be a perfect fit for the new M.

link
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/schneider_shift_tilt_lenses/schneider_pc_ts_45-28mm_n_f.html

and a pdf:
http://www.alpa.ch/dms/products/lenses/schneider-pc-ts/PC-TS_Super-Angulon_4-5_28_aspheric_e/PC-TS_Super-Angulon_4.5_28_aspheric_e.pdf

If I'm right both canon and nikon can be used because both have an apenture ring at the front (blue ring). No digital apenture with the canon model.
In addition to this one they also offer a 50mm and 90mm to make a great set.

Don't know when it will be available, but the M240 isn't available either so there's no rush.
Price for the 50mm is about 3300 dollar. So even cheaper than most M lenses. Just hope the 28 is in the same league.

Indeed this is not a really small lens, the opposite actually. But I can't see why u would want a old shift lens with an old optical quality to use on the M. Already with modern lenses their flaws are visible on the M9 and especially the MM sensor.

If the schneider is to big, I think instead of picking an old shift lens U could have more optical quality and a lot smaller lens by picking some of the wide angle M lenses and correct the perspective with capture one or photoshop. With C1 pro its really no problem at all to do so.
Only problem would be the tilt, but all those lenses don't have tilt either.

I used to use a 5Dc with 24 TSE v1 some years ago for architectural photography, and since some years use a M9p with the leica wide angles (first 24mm, now 18 SE and 28 cron). The overall picture quality with the leica is way better, also after correction.
Only difficulty is tight framing, but with the M240 that isn't a problem any more.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Maksim Noy

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PC lens for Leica M

Some very good points to consider, thanks.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.