1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

ggreene wrote:
Yeah, that is a downside to getting the Sigma. The resale value will not be nearly as good as a Canon. The problem is Canon has shown no interest in designing a 2.8 zoom in that FL range so it is what it is and I'm not interested in the prime.

That's only a problem if you buy gear just to resell it.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:55 PM
andyjh
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

That's the old price versus value conundrum. I think it goes beyond buying gear "just" to resell it though. What if you just "want" to sell it. I remember when a camera body by Hasselblad or Bronica would hold its value for years. Not like the new bodies where the meter's ticking away towards zero value the minute you make the purchase. I've always felt that lenses were the closest thing we have now towards "investment" in equipment.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Guys don't forget this is SIGMA MSRP we're talking about . You would have to be insane to pay the pre order price. It will go down when its been in stock a couple of weeks.

And don't forget as pointed out before , the msrp of the current one is $4700 .

That said I doubt the new one will drop like a stone but I can see $2800 -$3k in the us and £2k - 2500 here in the uk .

I've seen the current one easily available for low $2K mark. I'd expect this new version, to quickly drop under $3K.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:35 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

ajt36 wrote:
That's what the USB dock is for. You can do your own QC.
With how flaky focus is on their lenses, they should be throwing one of those docks in with every lens.

Sigma's website indicates the dock can be used to alter the AF speed and customize the focus limiter setting. I haven't seen information to indicate other aspects of the AF can be altered, like tuning/adjust.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

....AND 3 choices of OS while yer at it

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

chez wrote:
That's only a problem if you buy gear just to resell it.

Exactly. Think long and hard, and then buy quality.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:33 PM
luke0622
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

I think between the new one and the current one is the focusing limiter

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:46 PM
luke0622
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

trenchmonkey,

first of all, just wanna say that I am a big fan of you stuff.

Anyway, are you going to get the new Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport?

I am so tempt to sell my 300/2.8 VR2 and pick that lens up... probably not a good move, quoted by an AP friend. I am a sports photographer, my lenses get bangup a lot, don't know if Sigma is going to hold up

Luke

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:49 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

luke0622 wrote:
trenchmonkey,

first of all, just wanna say that I am a big fan of your stuff.

Anyway, are you going to get the new Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport?

I am so tempt to sell my 300/2.8 VR2 and pick that lens up... probably not a good move, quoted by an AP friend. I am a sports photographer, my lenses get bangup a lot, don't know if Sigma is going to hold up

Luke

Thanks, Luke! I'm sworn to secrecy but I shot with a guy at a recent event
using a prototype and it's built like a 300 VR that zooms! I'm totally in for one.
You'll be able to 'personalize' the focus limiter, it doesn't lose AF lock when you
zoom now. This is HUGE. New barrel, weather seals, sexy new hood, as well
as fine tune/OS options via the USB dock. I'm really pumped about it. Just need
the money or I'd have pre-ordered already (just picked up another 200 f2)
(rodeo doesn't start for another 3 months)

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:18 PM
luke0622
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

200/2 is on my list as well... I might just sell my 300 VR2 after the basketball season and pick up a 200/2

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:28 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

The 17-70 appears to be new optical formula relative to the lens it supercedes. If the IQ is sufficiently high, I might be among those willing to give up a few mm of focal length range at each end, compared to the Canon 15-85, in exchange for the faster aperture.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:33 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

paulfeng wrote:
The 17-70 appears to be new optical formula relative to the lens it supercedes. If the IQ is sufficiently high, I might be among those willing to give up a few mm of focal length range at each end, compared to the Canon 15-85, in exchange for the faster aperture.

I feel the same way. I had the last 17-70 OS for my 7D, but decided to go with the 15-85, as I compared the IQ side-by-side and found the Canon better. However, the difference wasn't THAT big, so if they have improved the Sigma, it might be worth another look, especially with the faster aperture.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:19 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

trenchmonkey wrote:
Thanks, Luke! I'm sworn to secrecy but I shot with a guy at a recent event
using a prototype and it's built like a 300 VR that zooms! I'm totally in for one.
You'll be able to 'personalize' the focus limiter, it doesn't lose AF lock when you
zoom now. This is HUGE. New barrel, weather seals, sexy new hood, as well
as fine tune/OS options via the USB dock. I'm really pumped about it. Just need
the money or I'd have pre-ordered already (just picked up another 200 f2)
(rodeo doesn't start for another 3 months)

This is encouraging news! I'd love to have a 300/2.8 but I don't like primes so this zoom could be it.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:31 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Yeah, Greg...it means leaving the 70-200 home and just keepin' a spare body on my hip. Win/Win.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:35 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

well I just picked up the current 120-300 OS for a good price used. intial impressions are way above expectations . focus seems spot on with 0 MA on my 7D . not even my MDP manages that

hope the lack of Limiter wont be a huge issue (only time will tell) but AF seems pretty dam fast

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:45 AM
andyjh
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
well I just picked up the current 120-300 OS for a good price used. intial impressions are way above expectations . focus seems spot on with 0 MA on my 7D . not even my MDP manages that

hope the lack of Limiter wont be a huge issue (only time will tell) but AF seems pretty dam fast

Good luck with it. Any chance you'd be able to shoot some action, local sport etc. and post some results?

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

andyjh wrote:
Good luck with it. Any chance you'd be able to shoot some action, local sport etc. and post some results?

That's what I'm hoping to do, but sport will be a while yet. Nothing other than local football (I'm English so I mean 'proper' football ) at local park level (I'm not turning up at any of those games with a lens like this !)

Still a few months before the Motorsport season gets going . If conditions look good I will try and sneak down the coast for some windsurfing/kite surfing action .

In the meantime I'm heading to the gym. Just messing with the lens tonight tells me I need to pump some weights . I've got weak and feeble in my old (middle) age

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Oh yeah and the Monkey is correct. The hood is pretty pathetic .
And as for the tripod mount , I've not mounted then lens on a monopod (or tripod for that matter) but it feels too far back . Just holding the collar with (my un gripped) 7D mounted the lens feels very front heavy .

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:05 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Fred Miranda wrote:
<table border="0" align="right" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"><tr><td><a -C format "Contemporary" model - SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM.

Both lenses are similar in style and well-built design of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" model. They are compatible with the new Sigma USB Dock, which enables photographers to operate lens firmware updates as well as customization including focus setting.

They are now available for preorder::

<

the USB dock device that fits on the lens looks interesting

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigma announces two new lenses and USB Dock

Sigma is coming out swinging lately, I love it. These additions look great but I'm holding out for an updated 100-400 or 400 5.6 (hint,hint).

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.