Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Good starter bracket for flash?

shutterlove
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Can anyone recommend a good entry level bracket to get my flash off camera for doing flower and bug shots? I don't want to spend tons of money but I don't want a cheap piece of junk either. I have a 100mm macro lens and right now a XTi, but hoping to upgrade.
Thanks.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good starter bracket for flash?

I have never had a problem with flash brackets. Whatever the quality, you must ensure that the hotshoe is compatable with the full fuction (contacts) of your flash gun.

Harold

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:37 PM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I guess I should have also asked what kind of bracket should I get, I have never had a bracket. I would appreciate any tips, help anyone has to offer. Should I try to put the flash above or beside the lens?

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:26 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good starter bracket for flash?

I recently got the polaroid heavy duty L bracket from Amazon (cheap) but did replace the small fairly useless ballhead with a cheaper larger one I already had.
see pic of rig below.
Brian V.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:28 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good starter bracket for flash?

shutterlove wrote:
Should I try to put the flash above or beside the lens?

The higher up it is, the more natural the result may look (L-shaped flash bracket) but the more shadows you will get from a single flash. I would not normally put a single flash below the level of the hotshot on the camera, if there is one. In outdoor situations you may have to get the light onto the subject by aiming it around e.g. foliage. In the portrait orientation, a bracket attached via the tripod socket can be rotated to point closer to the lens axis for closer work.

Other considerations are about the flash gun rather than the bracket.

Harold

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:31 AM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good starter bracket for flash?

How about a diffuser? Maybe I should get one of those too? I see a lot of the rigs have
homemade diffusers, but I am not that crafty! Love the picture you sent Brian, that helps
a lot to see it.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:07 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Have a look here : https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/780820

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:53 AM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good starter bracket for flash?

I did look here, but I saw a lot of homemade diffusers, was hoping to find something simple to just buy. Not very crafty!

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:21 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good starter bracket for flash?

The small lumiquest softbox should be ok on my type of rig. The aim is to get the end of the diffuser as close to the end of the lens as possible.
Brian v.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:21 AM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Oh, I see. I did not know that you had to get the soft box and the lens that close, so putting
it on the flash that is mounted to the camera won't work? So I need a bracket too, correct?
Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me (as far as brackets and soft boxes go).

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good starter bracket for flash?

shutterlove wrote:
Oh, I see. I did not know that you had to get the soft box and the lens that close, so putting
it on the flash that is mounted to the camera won't work? So I need a bracket too, correct?
Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me (as far as brackets and soft boxes go).

You don't have to use a bracket and a softbox type diffuser, you can use a camera mounted flash with a diffusion sheet clipped to the front of the lens (eg plastic milk bottle or shampoo bottle plastic). The idea is to make sure the end of the lens is not in the way of the flash and to make the apparent size of the light source to subject size as large as possible.

Brian v.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Okay, really dumb question, do I need a cord if I get a bracket? I would imagine the answer is yes, to go from the hot shoe on the camera to the flash, correct? I assume it would not work with out that, right?

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Brian V, can you still mount your set up to a tripod? I know so little about using a bracket! Just looked at all the rigs in the other forum, pretty cool! I assume I need a ball head to swivel the flash down to the lens?

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:36 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Yes you still need a a connecting flash cord.
You can still tripod mount the setup- the bracket bolt has a female 1/4" thread underneath. Yes the ball head is used to both swivel and adjust the shooting angle of the flash.
Brian v.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:22 AM
shutterlove
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Good starter bracket for flash?

Thanks for all your help Brian, I am going to try to get that bracket and go from there. I like it because it is simple and not too bulky. I think this will really help with the quality of my lighting on my macro shots. I already ordered a couple of diffusers to try too!

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.