Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

amorfoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

Would like to no your honest opinion from actual users. I've been shooting with my Canon system for several years and don't have a lot of gripes other than the focusing system. I do love my skin tones "very important" that the canon produces. I'm only looking to convert because of the dynamic range and the files becoming very close to medium format. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts from working with your 5d2 too working with the d800.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

if u have a lot of L lenses, you may want to stay with canon

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:10 AM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

As always it depends on what you like about the Canon system vs what you believe you'll get from Nikon and what you'll probably hate about Nikon. All things considered my usual advice for existing Canon shooters is to get the 5DM3. OOC skintones to you're liking will be easier on the 5DM3, the ergonomics of the body are much better with the 5DM3 IMO (particularly the grip), LV is worlds better if you rely on that feature, along with video. The base ISO DR differences are significant but depending on your shooting they'll probably come into play less often than the system differences you might regret having to adjust to.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

You like your over-red skin tones? Stay with Canon Get a Mark III, at least you'll get a functional AF system.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:15 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

Compared to the 5D II, its not even close. I think the D600 is even a better camera, not to mention the D800. It's closer with the Mark III, I would stick with that one, but the 5D II is definitely a step or two behind.
Paul

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:52 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

Do it.

Ron

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:55 AM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

I'm much obliged to be able to answer your questions with a REAL ANSWER from a REAL OWNER of both cameras. I had the 5d2 for 2 years, and sold to go all Nikon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45249503@N02/

My flickr will show you examples from both camera. Most of the "sets" are from the 5d2, and newest photo streams are with d800. I shoot almost all landscape, so I'll let you know from that perspective. And I like street photog. First, the D800 is a much, much, much better made and better engineered camera than the 5d2. The AF alone is so much better its ridiculous -- and I never even had an issue with the 5d2 AF. I like Canon's ergonomics a little better, to me they're simple to learn and master. And you have saved settings on top dial.

As far as IQ, yes the D800 has significantly better DR. And high ISO noise is close, to me, at full resolution. I hear if you downsample the D800 to 22mm noise is 1/2 stop or so better than the 5d2. Don't expect drastic improvements in noise or IQ. It's just not there. I hope people don't lose their panties over this statement, but IQ after 21MP is very incremental IMHO. I switched systems because Nikon has better options at UWA lenses -- like the 14-24 or 16-35/4.0 (which I own). It's quite a bit better than the 17-40L I had.

I miss the 35L a lot, and haven't upgraded to Nikon's equivalent because I can't afford it and had other lenses to buy. For me, Nikon has released the 24/1.4, 28/1.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.8G (which I own), and the 85/1.8G (which I'll soon own) in the past few years and that tells me they're ready to become the dominant SLR company in annual sales -- a title Canon has held for a long, long time. Nikon's new, budget primes are all amazing! They blow away anything Canon has at the same price point.

I looked at the 5d3, but with $500 higher in price (at the time), same DR as 5d2, and nearly same MP as 5d2 (and from all accounts, IQ is nearly identical) it was an easy choice. I'd like to have BOTH systems, but it's really pointless bc this is just an obsessive hobby. I make zero $$ off my "work" -- if you will. As said, if you have a ton of L glass then stick where you're at. The 5d2 is still an unbelievable camera, don't get me wrong. I sold mine because the price was dropping quickly with announcement of 5d3. Had the d600 been announced, I would have bought it instead of the D800. It's incredible for the price -- I see some selling new for $1,600. Unbelievable. Get it and buy you the 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g, and 28 1.8g. Also, I have the 24-120/4.0VR and its very.very, very good. I love it. Good luck!!!

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:57 AM
amorfoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

Thanks for all the comments it's much appreciated. I have used Nikon exclusively through our studio d3s, d3 and have processed tens of thousands of images from these cams. When they hit they are excellent files to work especially in the shadows, I am still timid on making the switch there is always something that keeps me with Canon. I seem to be right on the verge and something about this complicated Canon System won't let me switch. I think it's time for Medium Format this is the only way I can get the IQ and skin tones I desire. Thanks again for the input.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

I had a 5D2
Because the AF was so much better, I liked a D5100 or D7000 more.
The D600 is a definite upgrade, and the D800 better in every way.

My impression of the 5D3 is an uncrippled 5D2.
You might want to get "Hands On" a D800e.

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:52 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

I switched from 5D2 to D800. I prefer everything about the D800 sensor - resolution, DR, noise, colour. I find them equally usable as camera bodies. The lenses might make your decision for you, rather than the cameras.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:39 AM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

I had a 5D2 and 5D and a lot of L lenses. I tried a friends D800 for a couple of days and was hooked.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:22 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

I can tell you something about what I got that I didn't expect, going from 5D2 to 5D3.

The metering seems better. Indoor shots with room lighting sources in the frame do a much better job of getting the right exposure.

Lower ISO images (up to 800) are not much improved in marginal light, but notably improved with good light. In good light, ISO 800 on 5D3 is pretty much ISO 200 on 5D2. That doesn't mean, unfortunately that you can now shoot noise-free stop-action images in pre-dawn light, however. Those still look marginally grainy.

Higher ISO image quality is more subjectively pleasing. I'm not sure it is more noise-free, at least not if you measure noise by lost detail instead of by visually obtrusive speckles. But the speckles are less obtrusive, and that makes using ISO 6400 or even higher quite useful, if you aren't planning to print large.

The auto-color-balance works better.

The shutter button is much better, at least for my use. Triggers exactly when I expect, and makes it easier to hold the camera still.

The viewfinder seems brighter, but I'm not sure about that one, doing a new-to-old comparison.

The quiet shutter mode is wonderful. Used by preference for most work.

The menu system is better, with a superb customization feature that lets you group everything you are most likely to use on one screen.

Put those together with a worlds-better autofocus system and higher frame rate, and it really is much more than an incremental upgrade. The impression you get using it is that it has strengths everywhere. You aren't working around anything—unless your objective is to make the largest possible prints (>30-inches, say), it's not easy to see how the Nikon competes. But, as always, lens choices can tip the balance, depending on your work.

I should also mention that while I respect the higher dynamic range the Nikon provides, I don't think it's always advantageous to use it even where natural lighting conditions permit, and very often they don't permit, so that benefit is smaller for me than it might be for some others who get high by lifting shadows. I do think it would be a major advantage for Nikon if the work planned was going to be under studio lighting, however.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

The 600D is better than a 5D Mark II for me (better AF) being the main reason. If you have L lenses you should get the 5d mark III the AF is insane. Did I mention great AF? The 5D Mark III is a fine camera, I wouldn't just swap systems unless their was something you really really needed.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:03 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

All these nonsense about 5DII AF is getting ridiculous. 5DII AF is great for what it was designed for. A lot of people like to join the bandwagon and knock 5DII. 5DII was once and still today a work horse for most wedding photographers. I used mine for three years as my main camera and it never failed me.

I honestly did not move over to Nikon for any particular reason. I was bored and got curious about D800 and decided to make a move but I kept my 5DIII,35L,135L,6-35MKII,50/1.4 and 15mm fisheye. I have a feeling that I will eventually move back to Canon because Nikon customer service suck.

Now if you want more DR D800 is the camera for you.

D800

5DIII

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d Mark II to D800 your thoughts?

okafoja wrote:
All these nonsense about 5DII AF is getting ridiculous.

i politely have to disagree. i guess what you shoot or need from a body makes all the difference.

if you shoot landscape or use live view extensively and/or only need center focus no worries with the 5d2. i found the 5d2 to be a very nice camera but i needed all the focus points to work and work with spot metering.

I am very happy I made the move to Nikon.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password