Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Shooting from vehicle window

harland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting from vehicle window

Some of the locations I frequent require me to stay inside my vehicle. I am finding that steadying my 100-400 to shoot out the window is a challenge at times. I have researched the various choices (mostly bean bags). I was wanting to know what you use for this situation.
Thanks
Darryl

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:40 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting from vehicle window

Darryl,

Not sure if you're able to keep your door slightly ajar or not, but I sometimes use a monopod in conjunction with the door/windowframe to help stabilize the lens and camera. Monopod standing on the ground between the car footwell and the open door and extended just long enough to support the lens resting on the door. With a smaller lens, if you can push your seat back, you might even be able to stand the monopod in the footwell. Hope that's helpful.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:08 AM
henryp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting from vehicle window

The Kirk WM-2 Multi-Purpose Window Mount is The Terminator of window mounts but it's not cheap and could be overkill, depending on your situation.

Something as simple as the Nikon Car Window Mount might do or even a Puffin Pad Long Lens Support .

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:11 AM
harland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting from vehicle window

Thanks for the replies. That Kirk mount is nice but pretty pricey. That Puffin pad might suit me just fine.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:36 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting from vehicle window

Get an ErgoRest

Henrik

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:15 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting from vehicle window

Why spend $$, I fold an old down vest over my window when I require such support.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:52 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting from vehicle window

A piece of foam pipe insulation. They come with a slit precut, just stick it on the window.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting from vehicle window

lowbone wrote:
A piece of foam pipe insulation. They come with a slit precut, just stick it on the window.

Great idea, Larry
Guy could even leave in place and run window back up when changing locations.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:50 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting from vehicle window

Check out the L.L.Rue "Groofwin." It is a support designed to be used on the ground, on a vehicle window or on a vehicle roof. I used one shooting polar bears from the window of a Tundra Buggy in Churchill and it was amazing. Very well designed and engineered. Rock solid, plenty sturdy for big lenses (I was shooting with a 500 mm).

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:57 PM
twgphotog

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting from vehicle window

I use a beanbag and it works great (although I would like to try the piece of foam pipe insulation mentioned by lowbone). The only problem I have encountered with using a beanbag is with zoom lenses since the zoom ring rests on the beanbag making it difficult to zoom (I donít like resting the tripod foot on the bean bag since it can easily slip off while I am shooting, I learned this the hard way).

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmIgone
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting from vehicle window

I use a foam packing pad from an APC battery backup. It fits over the doorsill and gives about 5Ē of height so Iím not bending down to shoot. Itís kind of like a Puffin pad but free.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:29 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting from vehicle window

The Molar Bag from www.vertexphoto.com is the best solution I have found. I use buckwheat hulls as a filler to keep it light.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:19 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting from vehicle window

lowbone wrote:

That's what I use and it works great.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting from vehicle window

trenchmonkey wrote:
Why spend $$, I fold an old down vest over my window when I require such support.

Me too! Just a towel... Oh and ya gotta shut off the engine!

BTW, you can get something like Puffin Pad Long Lens Support linked above for free in approximate lengths 2 and 4 meters from any car shop that replaces cabin glass. It's the stuff the replacement glass is shipped with for protection and they just throw it away after installing the window.

Edited on Jan 13, 2013 at 01:20 AM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shooting from vehicle window

If you need to use slow shutter speeds and the stability of a tripod, bean bags and other pads will not give you that.

As for window mounts, be sure that you get one that allows enough forward/backward movement of the camera. Depending on the seat configuration in your vehicle, you may be able to set up a tripod.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shooting from vehicle window

I have tried a variety of vehicle shooting solutions... everything from the Groofwin pod to the Kirk mount to the Eckla Eagle device. And I've also tried an Apex bean bag device which enables you to use a ball head or Wimberley on a bean bag assuming your vehicle has enough room inside (mine did not). Ultimately though, I decided on a bean bag designed by Art Morris called a BLUBB. I find that for shooting with both a 500 and a 400 DO, it's been my best solution. But I've also used a monopod, as outlined by a previous post, and that has worked adequately. It's really all what works best for you.

I will say that if all you're shooting with is a 100-400, something along the lines of a BLUBB should work for you just fine as it has enough mass to stay on the door/window, as well as cradle the lens securely

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:49 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shooting from vehicle window

Any of the above mentioned will work. You just have to try one and see if it works for you. I've used the Kirk window mount for years and prefer it under certain conditions. First, many window frames are too low so you need to raise the glass which is usually not level so bean bags and towels are always sliding down and you have to work to keep the camera/lens level. The Kirk with a ball head solves both those problems. Second when using one of the BIG lenses (600mm and 800mm) managing the lens/camera on a bean bag/towel is really a two handed operation. While moving your vehicle even a short distance you have to bring the lens inside. With the Kirk mount clamped to the glass and resting on the window frame handling even the big lenses is an easy one handed operation so I can creep along a road stopping and going as needed. There are times though when a good bean bag is the better solution. I've found several vehicles that you simply can't fit the Kirk window mount in place with a big lens setting on top of the ball head. Start simple (folded something) and move up from there as necessary.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:27 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shooting from vehicle window

The BLUBB is a rip off of the molar bag at 2-3 times the price. Let it never be said Art Morris isn't out to overcharge anyone who is willing to be overcharged...

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shooting from vehicle window

This is my entry

Al

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:45 AM
iweiner

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shooting from vehicle window

I chose the Manfrotto 3292 window mount, the 3/8 bolt permits me to mount a ballhead on it. The unit slips over the glass pane and a basic screw lock cork disc grips the pane. EZ on/off-loosen the screw lever and lift up&off into the car and back again. Weighs 3-4 oz and cost is~$20+. Not necessary to remove for intermittent handheld shooting. Will lock onto panels up to ~ 3/4 in thk.

irv weiner

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password