Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Mamiya RZ67

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Mamiya RZ67

carstenw wrote:
Yes, I do understand that the 6/7/7II lenses have fantastic performance, especially the 43mm, I gather, but that system just doesn't move a single desire muscle in me. I can't explain it. I am also interested in equipment which doesn't touch others, I realise. I guess this just makes us all different.

Ultimately, any of us worth his/her salt could do what we want to do with a large variety of equipment, but certain things draw us in, and others leave us cold.

Beautiful shot! Is that Morraine Lake?

Carsten,

The Mamiya 7II system is much like a Leica M for operation and function. Some like and others don't. In fact I have never had or really used a Leica M only because of its limited application. For me it was the R system. For the Mamiya II for me for Medium format, this is/was OK (but I also had my Rollei TLR and my 4" X5" cameras). With the coming Leica M and its capability of accepting all my R lenses for long, macro, etc. that may change for the smaller format in digital.

Both the 43mm and the 50mm Mamiya 7II lenses are outstanding performers and if memory serves of Biogon design.

Yes the photo is looking across Morraine Lake. It is the better known and I believe the larger of the 2 lakes.

This shot may also give you a glimpse of what you may be able to get out of the RZ67. The lenses were of extremely high quality, but like any other system has several that stand out. Unfortunately I do not know the system well enough to distinguish which were most special.

Rich

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Mamiya RZ67

I guess the other lake is Lake Louise? Lake Louise is easier to reach and more populated by tourist busses, at least it was when I rode through on a motorcycle in '90. Moraine Lake (spelling mistake before) is on the back of the Canadian $20, or at least it was when I left Canada in 2001.

Funny, you have R and Mamiya 7, I went for M and RZ67 I loved my M6, my M8 was also very good, but the relationship was less passionate At some point I longed for an SLR again though, and went to a D3, an awesome camera which I sadly sold today. My D800 is better in IQ, but I don't like the body and shape as much.

The RZ67 and my other film cameras are more out of interest than for doing any particularly large body of work, although that could of course change any time.

About lenses, I am not particularly driven towards finding the absolutely best lenses for the system, although I might make an effort to avoid the duds. What my past experience has shown is that the lenses I love the most aren't necessarily the best ones I have owned. Character is far more important, and other aspects, such as focal length. Everyone raves about the 110mm, but I am not looking for a 50mm-equivalent at this time, preferring the more unusual spacing of the 65/90/127mm, or about 31/43/61mm. I might also pick up a 110mm just to see if I made a mistake, but would probably sell it again.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #3 · Mamiya RZ67

carstenw wrote:
I guess the other lake is Lake Louise? Lake Louise is easier to reach and more populated by tourist busses, at least it was when I rode through on a motorcycle in '90. Moraine Lake (spelling mistake before) is on the back of the Canadian $20, or at least it was when I left Canada in 2001.

Funny, you have R and Mamiya 7, I went for M and RZ67 I loved my M6, my M8 was also very good, but the relationship was less passionate At some point I longed for an SLR again though, and went to
...Show more

The other lake at the Maroon Bells is Crater Lake (not to be confused with Crater Lake NP in Oregon). Lake Louise is in the Canadian Rockies. Lake Louise and Emerald Lake in the Canadian Rockies are some of the most beautiful lakes in the Canadian Rockies.

The Maroon Bells and the Grand Tetons in Colorado and Wyoming respectively are probably the most photographed mountains in the USA.

I had a complete Canon F1 system until 1984 when I switched to the Leica R system starting with the R4S (later modified as far as an R4SP) followed by an R4SP. The rest is "history" for the Leica system. But, I was shooting most subjects, particularly nature, landscape and wildlife. I also later picked up several Rollei TLRs followed by a Linhof Super Technika IV which was stolen and replaced by the Linhof Technikardan 45S. That was then followed by adding the Mamiya 7II system. I later added the Toho Shimo FC45 4" X 5" Field Camera which we stripped to weight 2 Pounds 13 ounces. I still have this equipment. That was before getting my toes wet to add the Canon G9 and G10 and then the Lumix G1. Now having added the Fuji X-E1 and debating on the Leica M. So, that may make sense as to how and why I have done and gone through the systems and lenses that I own.

Rich

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Mamiya RZ67

Oh, I am getting confused now. I meant this Moraine Lake, in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine_Lake

Is there another one?

I guess your equipment has been shaped by the subjects you shoot to a much greater extent than mine, given that you travel much more and carry it on the trail. I tend to shoot in and around urban areas, so almost any reasonable amount of weight is doable, although I prefer the 5kg region for my bag. After that, it starts to feel much more like work. I will gab up to 10kg plus tripod for projects which need it, but this is rare.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #5 · Mamiya RZ67

carstenw wrote:
Oh, I am getting confused now. I meant this Moraine Lake, in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine_Lake

Is there another one?

I guess your equipment has been shaped by the subjects you shoot to a much greater extent than mine, given that you travel much more and carry it on the trail. I tend to shoot in and around urban areas, so almost any reasonable amount of weight is doable, although I prefer the 5kg region for my bag. After that, it starts to feel much more like work. I will gab up to 10kg plus tripod for projects which need it, but this is rare.

Carsten,

Actually I didn't catch our error. It is Maroon Lake at the Maroon Bells, outside of Aspen Colorado.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_Bells

Shows what happens when one isn't paying close enough attention.

Rich

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Mamiya RZ67

Rich, beautiful shot of the Bells!
Carsten, when can we see some shots from your new rig?

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:30 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #7 · Mamiya RZ67

wayne seltzer wrote:
Rich, beautiful shot of the Bells!
Carsten, when can we see some shots from your new rig?

Wayne,

Thank you. It is such a beautiful location that can get unbelievably crowded.

Rich

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Mamiya RZ67

Wayne, I hope soon, but honestly, I am having trouble finding time for even the most mundane things at the moment, and the weather is also incredibly drab. This Saturday I am doing some urbex with the D800 and 2-3 ZF.2s (see the Berlin thread), maybe a flash. Hopefully the following weekend I might find a day to do something, or sometime soon after that.

I've got Tri-X loaded up in it, and a 5-box of both Tri-X and T-MAX standing by (I have to decide between these two films! )

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Mamiya RZ67

Urbex. fun stuff! I've taken the above mentioned RZ kit into some urbex locations. it was a huge pile of gear to haul around, but got some great shots. I have urbexed with the Mamiya 7 system also. In general, that's a lot easier as it's much smaller and lighter. I have a mamiya 7 kit too, and like it as much or more than the RZ. They are ideally suited for different jobs. The 7 I use more for landscape and wider-angle stuff. It's superbly ergonomic (compared to the RZ) and the lenses are better by a slight amount. The RZ gets used more for portraits, long shots (sports) and stuff where I need close ups or the exact composing of an SLR.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:21 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Mamiya RZ67

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Urbex. fun stuff! I've taken the above mentioned RZ kit into some urbex locations. it was a huge pile of gear to haul around, but got some great shots. I have urbexed with the Mamiya 7 system also. In general, that's a lot easier as it's much smaller and lighter. I have a mamiya 7 kit too, and like it as much or more than the RZ. They are ideally suited for different jobs. The 7 I use more for landscape and wider-angle stuff. It's superbly ergonomic (compared to the RZ) and the lenses are better by a slight
...Show more

I also have both systems - I am sure it's not an accident that they complement each other very well.

RZ67: Portraiture, concept/staged, and macro (bellows focusing, along with two ext. tubes)
Mamiya 7: Landscape, reportage, and travel

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password