Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Mitchell Carter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Understood, Jess. Thanks.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

I hope it all works out eventually for the OP, and it truly is a pity someone at Canon isn't falling all over themselves making sure the the 5DIII owner is happy...customer service shouldn't be a hit-or-miss proposition with people just trying to avoid responsibility for a mistake...

Still, remember the thousands and thousands of times they did it right, compared to the relatively few f*#*ups we all complain about...

edit: Ouch, somehow I missed a whole page of the thread, so, congratulations on your new camera...

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:24 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Jess Edward wrote:
No they sent me a loaner body 2 weeks ago and the one they sent me today was a permanent replacement for the one they lost. They arent able to find mine. Im assuming they sent it to the guy whos lens I got and he just decided to keep it since he sent in a $300 lens and got a $3,000 camera in return.

oh so you did get a loaner in the meantime

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Jess Edward wrote:
I talked to Canon today and they are at least going to send me a loaner 5D MkIII until they can locate my camera.

Its funny because the first person I spoke with yesterday told me that they lost the camera, then the second person I spoke with told me that they didnt lose it and that they for sure had it right there and that it was going to be mailed out to me today. The person I just spoke with said they still have no idea where my camera is but that the are looking for it.

They really
...Show more

Which means they lost it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:56 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Several years ago I sent my 28-70L to Canon (NJ) for a calibration, along with the $120 fee, and that was the last I ever saw of it. After maybe 2 months of almost daily calls, they finally agreed to replace the lens, but sent a refurb 28-135 in its place. I was so pissed I spent the better part of a day getting in touch with Canon's US chief, who agreed to overnight me a brand new 24-70L.

Too bad the 28-135 I returned arrived at their facility in about 100 pieces - not sure what happened, but it must have been damaged in shipping

Never once got an apology from anyone at Canon, BTW.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Poor management. How does an open letter to the manager of Canon U.S sound? Something to the effect of, 'Pull your socks up, please.'

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.3 #7 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Too bad the 28-135 I returned arrived at their facility in about 100 pieces - not sure what happened, but it must have been damaged in shipping Never once got an apology from anyone at Canon, BTW.

Oh yeah, they definitely owe you an apology

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Jess Edward
• • •
p.3 #8 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

I did my first shoot with the new 5D MkIII and the focus looks dead on with my 50mm and my 24-70 which is a huge improvement over the hit and miss focusing of the one they lost. I even did a couple test portraits at f1.4 in lower light and it nailed the focus every time. As much as this whole ordeal was frustrating, Im definitely glad it ended up happening in the end since I got a brand new camera. If any issues arrise with this one Im going to make them agree to give me a full year of warranty starting now as well. Im assuming they will try to hold me to my previous years warranty which is already more than half way through by now.

Someone earlier asked what happens when the missing 5D needs servicing. I was wondering that myself. The guy who got it cant really send it in to Canon to get it repaired since they will hopefully have the serial number flagged. Then again, they did manage to lose the thing in the first place so Im assuming their general organizational skills are pretty lacking.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:24 PM
escandon23

p.3 #9 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

what did you do with the lens they sent you by mistake? Did they ask for it back?

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jerrykur
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Jess Edward wrote:
Whats also funny is the one they sent me today they also removed the rubber eyepiece so I had to call and get them to send me a new one of those too.

On mine the eyepiece was in a separate little pouch. So they probably set it aside with the other accessories.

Anyway, glad you got have a great camera.

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.3 #11 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Actually, the missing eyecup makes sense. They specifically tell you not to send eyecup, battery or straps. So whoever packed it would have assumed you had the eyecup at home.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Actually, the missing eyecup makes sense. They specifically tell you not to send eyecup, battery or straps. So whoever packed it would have assumed you had the eyecup at home.

True, when I turned in one of my cameras for service the counter girl removed the VF frame and body cap and gave them back to me.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Gochugogi wrote:
True, when I turned in one of my cameras for service the counter girl removed the VF frame and body cap and gave them back to me.

Yes every time that I have turned in a body at the Canon Service Center they remove every attached part on the body, and give it back to me before taking it. Battery, straps, eyecup and so on. If they need some part to be included on the body, they will give me a a receipt for that part also.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

A CPS loaner comes with all the stuff you need and they kow when something's missing, otoh if everybody sends in different camera with different things it'll make everyone crazy.

Just like cleaning put your car when you go thru the car wash..

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Jess Edward wrote:
If any issues arrise with this one Im going to make them agree to give me a full year of warranty starting now as well. Im assuming they will try to hold me to my previous years warranty which is already more than half way through by now.

You should get a full one year warranty with the replacement camera.

Some time ago Canon Canada kept warranty-repairing my 20D several times with no success. Finally they had to give me a brand new 20D instead. That one had a full one year warranty too.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:09 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.3 #16 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

Amazingly, the same thing recently happened to me. I shipped my 5D3 to Canon to check the AF system. They received it and confirmed the problem, and I expected to get it back a couple of days later (as is usually the case). However, after a week I began to get suspicious. I called the help line, and the reps I spoke with in Virginia just kept saying "the Irvine service center is very busy; give it a few more days." After more than ten business days I knew something was wrong, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. This started another several days of back and forth until it was revealed that they couldn't find my camera. So, they replaced it with a brand new 5D3 and I have a 1-year warranty. Better yet, my camera now focuses properly!

All's well that ends well. It's a shame they lost it, but they handled it well once that became apparent.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:46 AM
ntotrr

p.3 #17 · Canon may have lost my 5D MkIII...

I've heard more than a few horror stories like this. I'm glad my 7Ds haven't needed any servicing from Canon

A friend of mine has a IDS MKIII. When his first year of ownership was almost up, Canon suggested that it get sent in for a going-over before the warranty period was up. He sent it their facility in New Jersey. Like all his gear, the camera was in pristine condition. The horror began:

1) Canon goes over his camera and sends it back with three crews missing from the body. He sends the camera back to Canon.

2) Canon replaces the screws and sends the camera back with a cracked LCD. He sends the camera back to Canon.

3) Canon claims the camera was received with a cracked LCD. After a lot of back-and-forth, they agree to replace the LCD and send the camera back. The camera is recieved and all looks well until my friend takes a test shot and finds that the sensor is covered with a greasy substance and is scratched. At this point, he has had it and drives from New York to New Jersey to demand a new camera. Canon refused to replace the camera but after literally two hours of protesting from my friend, they replaced it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:34 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password