Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

Have any of you used this? Is it feasible to hand-hold?

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Cometsoft
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not savvy on OM-D, just know about the in-body stabilization. I assume there would be no way to get autofocus using an EF lens?

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #3 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

That's true... also no way to change the aperture with the camera; you use it wide open. (It's possible to close it down on a Canon camera and remove it without powering off, then mount it on the OM-D; but I can't imagine wanting to do that with this lens.)

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:37 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

Mine is sharp wide open, you should be able to use it that way till you max out your shutter speed, or need more DOF.
If I remember right it's very near identical to the FD version.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

IBIS works well at that focal length. 2-3 stops easy. I get 2 stops with a 600mm lens.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Cometsoft
• •
p.1 #6 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

Ernie Aubert wrote:
That's true... also no way to change the aperture with the camera; you use it wide open. (It's possible to close it down on a Canon camera and remove it without powering off, then mount it on the OM-D; but I can't imagine wanting to do that with this lens.)

Agreed on the aperture, I almost always shoot the 400 at 5.6.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:08 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #7 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

It's perfectly fine to handhold on a Canon body without any IS so should not be a problem with the IBIS on the OM-D. As mentioned, tack sharp wide open.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:42 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · EF 400 f5.6 on OM-D?

Ernie Aubert wrote:

With a Redrock Micro EOS-u4/3 adapter, you can control the aperture. It is not very practical in use because of the external 9V battery compartment. However, when you set the aperture and turn the adapter off, the aperture does't open up. That way it is possible to set the aperture for use on any physically compatible camera without removing the lens from a Canon camera with power on.

With respect to image quality and effective reach per weight and cost, the lens / camera combination is an excellent choice.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password