Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have mu...

cpritchardv

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice. I had a pentax k-7 for about 2 years, it was recently stolen. I am looking to get a new camera and due to my unique situation, I need to order a new camera within a week or so in order to be able to get it before my trip. I am going to be taking this camera traveling so it needs to be versatile. I have a budget of around $1,000 for the camera and the lens.

Ive been looking at the canon t4i with the 18-135mm STM lens kit, which seems like a good deal for the money. I am worried about the build quality compared to other cameras, especially if I am going to be traveling with it.

Ive also been looking into the pentax k-5 II because of the weather sealing (do you think its worth the money?) (also the battery life is much better) because this camera is more expensive, I would not be able to get anything with it besides the standard 18-55mm.

other have told me to wait for the Nikon D5200, but I dont think it will be released in the US in time.

any advice? Ive been told that its not the camera as much as it is the lenses, ive been having trouble finding information about the lenses on those two products. I had trouble getting colors to stand out when taking pictures on my old pentax, along with trouble getting both the ground and the sky to come out well it photos, I know this is mostly my doing, but ive heard a lot of people say that the colors seem more vibrant with canon slrs.

thanks a lot for your help

Charlie

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:30 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

The "FM" board has a section marked "Reviews." Have you accessed the repository of information??

If you haven't then you would be well advised to peruse the font of experience expressed there.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:58 PM
cpritchardv

p.1 #3 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

I've looked through plenty of the reviews on this site and other sites, I was just hoping I could hear some opinions from people comparing the two, or giving me more advice.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:15 PM
RDParker

p.1 #4 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Hey! I know nothing of K-5, but you should be able to pick up a Nikon D5100 or a Canon Rebel with kit lens used for around $500 or so, then decide how to spend the other $500. You can make either brand as vivid or true as you would like through menu settings. Get your hands on 'em see how they feel to you- it's a start.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:33 PM
austriker
• •
p.1 #5 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Im not familiar enough on those models but perhaps try googling for information. And yes lenses are most important than bodies

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:37 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

My sister got a T2i. Id recommend that camera. Canon has a new 12 mp camera for$400 or so with lens. I use a 30d. I like the 18-135 a lot but af on my non-stm is bad at the wide end. I had to send the first one back because it wasn't sharp. 18-55 and 55-250 are both good. The 18-135 is good if you only want to carry one lens.

What sort of shooting will you be doing?

I used Pentax in filmand liked it. Digital should be excellent.Turni.g up saturation makes color look better.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:10 PM
cpritchardv

p.1 #7 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

I'm going to be shooting landscapes, animals if i get close enough, people, and some indoors stuff as well. I want it to be pretty versatile. I'm headed to a pretty hot, humid environment, thats why im worried about the weather sealing.

Also, hopefully if someone is competent enough to use a forum and to find a website like this, they are competent enough to use google.

I know there are reviews and things out there, but I really wanted to open a dialogue with people about it, people that new the material from the reviews better than I might, and have opinions that weren't on the plethora of reviews i've read through so far.

thanks for all of the help that some of you have already given me

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

durianisgood

p.1 #8 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

I had a T2i + 15-85 and spent a month in Vietnam and Cambodia with it. It was a great combination and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. If you need a flippy screen then you'll want a T3i or newer, but if not, then I recommend getting a used T2i and spending the money you save on lenses.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:32 AM
cpritchardv

p.1 #9 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Thats good to hear actually, because this next trip will take me through Thailand and Cambodia

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:06 AM
RDParker

p.1 #10 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Look what's here-

Nikon D5200 Kit with 18-55 VR lens

or without

Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera Body

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:47 PM
cpritchardv

p.1 #11 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Is it shipping in the US yet? I dont think it will be available in time

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:42 PM
RDParker

p.1 #12 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

I'm sorry I didn't follow the link to Adorama- it is for a pre-order.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

cpritchardv wrote:
I have a budget of around $1,000 for the camera and the lens.
...standard 18-55mm.

Ive been told that its not the camera as much as it is the lenses,

Yeah, the camera has to do with features like continuous drive speed, the beauty of the JPegs it converts in-camera, tracking, noise handling (ISO), digitizing resolution, and so on and so forth. Lenses are probably more important given that so many of the current camera models are so similar to each other in most aspects having to do with IQ. For what I think you're doing I would much rather have a $200 camera body and an $800 lens than the other way around - Which is what you will end up with if you go for any of the suggestions here so far. Most kit lens are fairly bad. And the ones that aren't "bad" aren't really good either.

If you want AF, a good lens option, and a DSLR I think I would buy used with your budget. Maybe one of the Sony cameras with an older but awesome Minolta brand lens. AF performance won't be spectacular but it won't be much worse than any of the new low-end cameras being suggested either - and way good enough for most things. I didn't price all those camera bodies but I think you can get any og them for like $250 and under. That will leave you the $750 for an awesome used zoom or a very good new one.

ive been having trouble finding information about the lenses on those two products. I had trouble getting colors to stand out when taking pictures on my old pentax, along with trouble getting both the ground and the sky to come out well it photos, I know this is mostly my doing, but...

If you like this idea then maybe start a new thread for "Best used DSLR under $300?" and "Best UWA DX Zoom Under $800 (mount type)?" I guess maybe something like this here for the lens tho? - Reviewed here.

...ive heard a lot of people say that the colors seem more vibrant with canon slrs.

Yeah, I've heard that too. After looking into it I've found it to be complete crap! It's fanboy talk. You know you're dealing with an inexperienced fanboy when you hear remarks like "Man those Canon colors are simply gorgeous !" or something to that affect. Best advice here; humor them and move on.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:46 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #14 · Help choosing a new camera (Unfortunately, I dont have much time)

Why not Pentax K-5 or K-30? These are much cheaper than the K-5 II and in most respects they are the same camera. That should solve the cost issue and it is a great camera for your intended issue.

Pentax K-30 + 18-135mm is available for just under $1K from amazon. You get your weather sealing and unlike your K-7 which didn't have a great sensor, K30 has a top of the line APS-C sensor.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:53 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password