Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of ...

ksutton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I left FF (FX, D700 to be exact) in late Summer and picked up an OM-D. Love this camera, so much fun. It's lived up to my expectations and then some. I've had the privilege of owning quite a few Oly and Panasonic lenses (PL25, Voigtlander 25 - gorgeous, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 14/2.5, and just recently 17/1.8) and I have a friend who shoots M43 too so I've gotten my grubby paws on a 12mm f/2 and the 60mm macro as well.

this camera simply rocks, and it does 80% of what I'd like it to do.

But sometimes, I just yearn for FX. Bear with me: I love, love, love fast wide primes. My 35mm f/1.4 and 24mm 1.4 made me smile just to mount on my D700. The subject isolation, the bokeh, the "3D feel" everyone speaks of. M43 doesn't come close to that. Closest it came was the Voigtlander, which cost me $1k new and was manual focus. I've been eyeing the 17.5mm but I just can't justify that price for an MF lens with my income right now. I just received my pre-ordered 17mm f/1.8 in the mail and while its a nice lens, there's absolutely zero subject isolation or 35mm feel I've grown to love in a lens.

I also like shooting available light, and the noise (especially when pulling blacks) from the OM-D sometimes bothers me. I feel that even at ISO 200 I'm noticing noise that wouldn't show up in a fullframe body until ISO 800. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Lastly, the AF system in the OM-D, while amazing, bothers the absolute hell outta me. Why didn't olympus think about changing the AF point size? I know you can on the touch screen, but it's infuriating when you check your pictures and the background is in sharp focus, your subject just a bit blurry - because the camera was racking focus between background and subject - that AF point being too large.

Right now I own the following:

OMD/grip
17/1.8 (just got it)
45/1.8
75/1.8

What I would get if I sold/traded the OM-D
D600
Sigma 35/1.4 *swoon*
Nikon 85/1.8G

So we're looking at the same value here.

Oh, and last but not least, I have a stockpile of old Nikon AI-S glass: 28/2.8, 50/1.4, a tele and a macro, so that factors in. I can always adapt these lenses but they won't have the same feel as they would on FX obviously.

Will I really see a huge difference in image quality? Has anybody gone back and missed your trusty OMD?

Input greatly appreciated!!

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:09 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I haven't gone back; I never left. I have a 5D III (and a 1D IV) and some excellent lenses, and I also have an OM-D and some excellent lenses. I certainly wouldn't abandon the Canons, but there are times, places, and circumstances in which I prefer the OM-D. And there are other times, places, and circumstances in which I like to have both the 5D III and the OM-D with me, with different equivalent focal lengths.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:21 PM
ksutton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

Agreed on that point. I am just about $3k invested into my Oly system and I would have to unload that to afford the D600 body and glass I want. So unfortunately I currently cannot afford both.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:19 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I have both a Canon DSLR system and and OM-D. I fundamentally think that they are complimentary systems. The Canon can do things the OM-D can't, and vise versa. This is a bit like DSLR vs. medium format systems. I don't know, but I think if you traded the Olympus for the Nikon system you would be loving "The subject isolation, the bokeh, the "3D feel" everyone speaks of. M43 doesn't come close to that", but would miss how handy and light the Olympus is.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:03 PM
jestork

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I love my OM-D - for travel the size and weight are awesome, and I have landscapes I have enlarged to metal prints at 30 x 40 inches and they look great. But would I use it as my only camera system? Not possible - could never give up my D3s for football, lacrosse, hockey and other sports. The autofocus, etc on the OM-D just won't do it. I'm also very happy with my D800. Different tools for different uses. Save up your pennies - it's only money.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:08 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I was in the same boat. Tons of film/FF/FX background, got excited about the small OM-D kit, and went for it.
Really enjoyed some aspects of the OM-D, but overall I'm thrilled to be back in FF.
I debated D600 and 6D, went with the Canon. Still not 100% sure I wouldn't have been more or less happy with the D600.

Either way- I can only reccomend you come back to the full size 35mm format.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:34 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I have a similar m4/3 camera as a side kick to my 5D. If I have my toddler riding on my back, a 5D and 400mm f4, I do not always like to tote more around. However, some of my favorite photos are of my family on vacation. That is where a m4/3 and normal lens shines. Especially with face detect auto focus we now have in focus family photos. I can't see using m4/3 only for the things I like to do.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

The VERY fast face detect AF is about the only thing i miss about the OM-D, but i can get that to a lesser extent, with similar imaqe quality (for snapshots) with a S95/S100 type camera...

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:50 PM
hongkietan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

The OMD has entirely replaced our crop sensor system (D7000). No regrets at all. IMHO the FF cameras cannot be replaced by the OMD at this moment. Try to find a good older generation FF camera and make use of your ai(-s) lenses.

BTW: The af points of the OMD can be setup to be varied in size by a quirky sequence (only needed once):
1 magnify button (variable, in my configuration fn2)
2 info button (the fixed on the back), to start setting the size
3 Up down or rear dial (variable depending how you set up your camera) : you will see the changing size of the focus point.
4 info button (the fixed on the back), to end setting the size

Use the magnify button to reduce the AF point size.

success
HK

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:35 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

HK, yes I'd agree that the OMD can for sure replace another crop system. I'd rather shoot a good OMD setup than any crop DSLR, but it cannot replace a good FF.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:45 PM
taat2d
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I HAD the OMD... I tried it out with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8. My go to focal length on my D3s/D700 combo. I instantly fell in love with it. Had it for about 3 months. Then I noticed the same thing about noise like you posted. It got to the point that I stopped shooting because I wasn't happy with the photos I was getting from the OMD. I compared every Oly image to my Nikons and wasn't happy with them. So I just sold off the Oly and picked up the the Nikon 24-120 f4 and the 300 f4 with the money I recouped from the Oly sale. Couldn't be happier.

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I played around with the OM-D. I really like it. It is fun. But alas, I find it's AF to be poor for moving targets. Still would make for a nice walk around camera when i don't feel like lugging around my 5d3/7d.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

This story sound exactly the same as mine.

I had a Nikon D700 (24/1.4G, 85/1.4D, 80-200/2.8, 300/4). Loved that camera and the lens were fantastic. I did a few trips and never liked the weight of it all. Starting looking at smaller cameras and thought I'd give it a try. Picked up a OM-D (12/2, 24/1.4, 45/2.8, CV17) and became a real fan of the format. Snappy focus, but of course nowhere near D700 ability. Along the way, I was able to take some great photos, but then starting missing the FF look and never got used to the shutter lag.

Sold the OM-D and lenses and figure I'd try out a Fuji X-E1. Don't know why I did that since I hated the X100 when it came out. The X-E1 turned out to be a excellent camera. The IQ was MUCH better than the OM-D, but yet again, I found the slow focus to be a problem for my shooting.

So I now find myself looking again to get a FF DSLR. This time, I've considered just about every brand available. Heck, I've even looked at the Pentax K-5IIs (not FF, but very sharp camera). I've ruled out Sony after handling one and did not like it one bit. Always loved Canon after having owned a 7D. The 6D and D600 had me interested for their light weight, but I really miss having 1/8000th shutter speeds. Really love the feel of the 5DMKIII and actually thought about a used MKII and pick up some nice lenses to go with it.

I've decided to hold off a while and save up a little more and get a D800. I initially thought the huge file size would be useless for me, but realize using crop mode will enable me to get more out of a 70-200. Having switched different cameras so many times over the last few years, I really want to settle down and have this be the last for a very long time. At this point, I'm in the range of a nice used D800 with a mid grade lens. Once I can get enough funds for D800 and three nice lenses, I'll pull the trigger (if I can wait that long).

To be honest, any good DSLR will make me happy. I just need to get over staying happy with what I have and utilizing it to its fullest.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:35 AM
johnvanr
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I had a love affair with an OM-D. Someone talk me out of running back to my FX mistress

I'm very new to the OMD, having rented one for the weekend and only used it a bit so far. I got it with the 17/1.8 and immediately tried the depth of field, which as you say, is lacking compared to full-frame. Other than that, I love the camera and find myself wanting to shoot with it.

I do have a FF system and intend to keep it, but I'm looking for something that I could carry with me without a problem, shoot with at dusk and get limited depth of field. Not sure the OMD will fit that bill. Alternatives would be the upcoming Fuji 100s (maybe), the Fuji Pro-1 (but that gets pricey) and the Sony RX-1 (really pricey, but with an awesome Zeiss lens).

In your case, maybe you can pick up a second-hand 5d classic and a nice lens and still hang on to your OMD.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password