New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

derry1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

imagine the 800 would be fine for me but I always said if Nikon makes a high MP camera with no AA they will receive my check,, they did so I bought the E,,

not that everyone wants or needs to zoom in but I shoot a lot of swim meets and 1 meter sail boats,, I don't always have the chance to walk closer for better photos as the water prevents but when I had my D300 there were so many times I was wishing for many more MP to crop after using all my zoom length,,

regarding the morie, over 5k photos and have had one photo that offered some at 100% viewing,,

was at a school meet Tuesday and here is on example of what you can expect,, again I would think the 800 could handle this as well,, all my lens are calibrated to my body,,

Derry

1 full photo

2. 90% crop

Derry

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

Try shooting lets say, brickwall or stone wall to RAW. Then develop in LR with all NR switched off. And then look at that wall at 100%..

In case of D800E vs D800 I would get regular one.

But if I wished for stock non-AA camera, Pentax K5IIs would be quite interesting choice.. As far as resolution goes, its pretty good. Even tho not that good as SD1M, but thats quite hard to use camera so Pentax is probably better choice.

Yea and Im saying that despite fact that I dont like digital Pentax at all (except 645D ofc.), neither I like APS-C sized sensors.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

nugeny wrote:
D600 is that your backup for D800?

I am shooting D4, primarily for wildlife. Just sold all other cameras, so I need another one, thinking D800/e would be great not just for backup on any trip, but it would be primarily for landscapes.
bob

Yes, the D600 is a backup for my D800. As nice as the D7000 is, it just wasn't really doing the job, especially in regards to my late night star shots. Plus, I can consolidate my lenses a bit, and plus, the D800 works terrific in the DX mode for times I want to get longer reach or use a DX lens.

Jim

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

Mescalamba wrote:
Try shooting lets say, brickwall or stone wall to RAW. Then develop in LR with all NR switched off. And then look at that wall at 100%..

In case of D800E vs D800 I would get regular one.

Would? What did you get? And what's your experience with the D800 and D800e so we can understand the basis for your statements?

My experience is totally counter to what you suggest, but totally in line with what others have said. I find that the D800e has a minor advantage in sharpness and contrast. You could get 99.9% as good with the D800, probably... but maybe not. And I'll take any IQ advantage I can get. And I'm happy to have a little less work to do in post. And in over 10,000 clicks with the D800e, I have yet to see moiré even once.

I have two D800 bodies and one D800e. Over time, I'll probably switch the two regulars to E's.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

You will get a lot of false color artifacts. Which unless you leave LR on 25 for color NR or if you use Capture NX2 is kinda visible. I guess most people wont notice that as most people dont use 0 values for NR. I do, cause I dont like to have any kind of NR, unless really needed.

D800E would be quite a bit better if it was really AA-less. Moiré and false color would be same as is currently, cause only thing those overlayed AAs are doing right now is robbing you of very fine and ultra fine detail and bit of contrast. Which is why D800E files dont look quite like how AA-less camera files should (even tho they are close to it).

But as I said, most people wont notice and most people dont care. Like they dont care about colors, noise levels at base ISO etc. etc. D800 is nice camera, if one needs 36 mpix, but just cause most people isnt aware of trade-offs, it doesnt mean they are not there.. Which sorta is possible to say about every camera.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

Mescalamba wrote:
You will get a lot of false color artifacts. Which unless you leave LR on 25 for color NR or if you use Capture NX2 is kinda visible. I guess most people wont notice that as most people dont use 0 values for NR. I do, cause I dont like to have any kind of NR, unless really needed.

The only tradeoffs I know I am making with D800/D800E bodies is that they don't have the high ISO performance of a D3s/D4, and they're not as light and small as my Nikon 1 system. Other than that, they rock.

My NR is always at zero, by the way, and that's exactly how much false color and moiré I've seen: zero. My D800 bodies have about 15,000 clicks between them, and my D800E has just under 10,000 on it.

What are you shooting with the D800E that is giving you so much trouble? And how long have you owned your D800-series body or bodies?

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Any reason to buy D800 EEEEE

Wow, if I leave Lr colour NR at zero I get all sorts of crap in the shadows and dark areas, but I rarely get to use the lowest ISO. And that goes for all of my cameras.

The Nr has a non-zero default for a very good reason and once applied the additional moire is minimal. As often as not you could get rid of it or make it worse with either camera by slightly adjusting your position. A smaller aperture also helps and is often needed for DOF anyway.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.