Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Basketball T&I Photo

jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Basketball T&I Photo

I shot some T&I photos today and would like to get some feedback. I do not do many cutouts, so I am working on getting better at them and would like to get opinions on this attempt. I just moved up to Photoshop CS6 and all I used for the cutout was the quick selection tool and a drop shadow on this image. I dropped the cutout into a template from Easy Digitals.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Basketball T&I Photo

For the image itself, it is good for a standard T&I shot. I really do not like the template. When I use a template I use team colors as accents and the blue/black gradient does not look professional to me.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:56 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Basketball T&I Photo

Cutout technique is very good, but... you had an easy head to deal with. Short crew cuts are going to be easier than longer hair... especially if you plan on doing the same for the girls teams. When it comes to T&I, less is best. To cutout an entire team of individuals, especially girls with curly hair... all for a digital memory mate isn't worth the work in my opinion. KISS. Charge reasonably. A cutout in my book bumps the product into the $50.00 and up range.

If you want to nitpick, there is a small sliver of original BG where wrist meets basketball.

Agree with Carl, digital BG clashes with team colors. Not sure why you chose this one.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:57 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Basketball T&I Photo

+1 to what Paul said. As far as T&I is concerned....keep it simple.
If you want a colored background, I would suggest using a gray muslin and put a colored gel on it. if you want a "realistic" background but don't have access to a nice gym, I suggest getting one of the digitized 6'x9' freedom cloth backdrops from Denny's.

As far a cutouts go, it looks fine other than the spot Paul mentioned, but long hair (especially girls) will kill you timewise when you have to start masking, etc. Defeinitely not worth the time spent vs reward for a smaller product like a memory mate, etc. Better left suited for a poster product.

Billy-

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Basketball T&I Photo

Maybe I'm color blind but, to me, the background doesn't clash so much with the team colors. But I'll admit I'm not great at matching colors.

Otherwise, the subject is sharp and well exposed. Good job on that.

Marty

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:46 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Basketball T&I Photo

Carl Auer wrote:
For the image itself, it is good for a standard T&I shot. I really do not like the template. When I use a template I use team colors as accents and the blue/black gradient does not look professional to me.

Thanks for the input Carl. For this high school, the school colors are sort of an odd light blue or periwinkle. I have used the matching color on the background in the past and the boys teams think that it looks to "Girly". The girls love it though, go figure. I will try to work on something else and get it posted. Thanks again.

Jeff

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:39 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Basketball T&I Photo

P Alesse wrote:
Cutout technique is very good, but... you had an easy head to deal with. Short crew cuts are going to be easier than longer hair... especially if you plan on doing the same for the girls teams. When it comes to T&I, less is best. To cutout an entire team of individuals, especially girls with curly hair... all for a digital memory mate isn't worth the work in my opinion. KISS. Charge reasonably. A cutout in my book bumps the product into the $50.00 and up range.

If you want to nitpick, there is a small sliver of original BG
...Show more

Appreciate the feedback. I did catch the poor cutout at the wrist and I will fix it. Thanks for the advice on keeping it simple for the memory mates. This is my son's school and I wanted to do something a little nicer with the cutouts for this team. There are only 10 kids and this group of parents have ordered a ton of photos over the years.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:45 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Basketball T&I Photo

BillyHurst wrote:
+1 to what Paul said. As far as T&I is concerned....keep it simple.
If you want a colored background, I would suggest using a gray muslin and put a colored gel on it. if you want a "realistic" background but don't have access to a nice gym, I suggest getting one of the digitized 6'x9' freedom cloth backdrops from Denny's.

As far a cutouts go, it looks fine other than the spot Paul mentioned, but long hair (especially girls) will kill you timewise when you have to start masking, etc. Defeinitely not worth the time spent vs reward for a
...Show more

Billy,

Thanks for the comments. I will keep working on coming up with a different background. I have enjoyed your poster designs, especially the football one you did with the schedule.

Jeff

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:51 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Basketball T&I Photo

Marty Bingham wrote:
Maybe I'm color blind but, to me, the background doesn't clash so much with the team colors. But I'll admit I'm not great at matching colors.

Otherwise, the subject is sharp and well exposed. Good job on that.

Marty

Thanks for the comments Marty. I am going to play around with some other options to see what I can come up with.

Jeff

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Basketball T&I Photo

Jeff, one more reply to the original question- cutout looks great, other than what Paul mentioned about the missed spot. I'd add the super-small space between the ball and wrist if you want to nit even further.

In regards to the bg color, I'll comment that it would be completely acceptable to add a different tint/shade/hue of a team color to the bg of a poster, as opposed to limiting yourself to only the team color itself. Just has to be a color that works, obviously. One example would be a navy in the background of this light blue.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Basketball T&I Photo

Tom D wrote:
....In regards to the bg color, I'll comment that it would be completely acceptable to add a different tint/shade/hue of a team color to the bg of a poster, as opposed to limiting yourself to only the team color itself. Just has to be a color that works, obviously. One example would be a navy in the background of this light blue.

Sort of like a color chord... Cool!

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Basketball T&I Photo

Russ Isabella wrote:
Sort of like a color chord... Cool!

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Basketball T&I Photo

That's beautiful.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:46 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Basketball T&I Photo

Am I the only one that thinks the cutout is a bit too cool? Or is it the blue background fooling me?

John

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:03 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Basketball T&I Photo

Tom D wrote:
Jeff, one more reply to the original question- cutout looks great, other than what Paul mentioned about the missed spot. I'd add the super-small space between the ball and wrist if you want to nit even further.

In regards to the bg color, I'll comment that it would be completely acceptable to add a different tint/shade/hue of a team color to the bg of a poster, as opposed to limiting yourself to only the team color itself. Just has to be a color that works, obviously. One example would be a navy in the background of this light blue.
...Show more

Tom,

Here is a quick re-do with the Navy background. I like this darker background. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:37 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Basketball T&I Photo

John Patrick wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the cutout is a bit too cool? Or is it the blue background fooling me?

John

John,

I threw in a neutral background. Do you still think the cutout looks cool? Thanks for the comments.

Jeff

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Basketball T&I Photo

Out of the three you have posted so far, I like #2 the best. What about maybe picking up that powder blue somewhere in the fonts though? His name in that powder blue with a black stroke like the Jersey? Or maybe the GARBER?

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:13 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Basketball T&I Photo

P Alesse wrote:
Out of the three you have posted so far, I like #2 the best. What about maybe picking up that powder blue somewhere in the fonts though? His name in that powder blue with a black stroke like the Jersey? Or maybe the GARBER?

Thanks Paul, Here is a version with your suggestions. I do like the light blue text with the dark background. So many choices......

Thanks,

Jeff

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:16 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Basketball T&I Photo

Looking better Jeff. Here's another idea that uses the light blue and adds a reflective quality. The full text coloring in your last version seems to make the text pop better, though...

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:08 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Basketball T&I Photo

I think I like the black background the most as it makes it more about the image. If you want more emphasis on the text, either of the two following the black works.

Just don't forget to fix the two spots under the wrist / forearm so that they get the new background.

Would you mind sharing you technique for doing the cutout in PS? I have CS5.5 but they are probably similar.

Guy

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.