Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New 6D! First impressions

tshore
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 6D! First impressions

I have been shooting a 7D for several years and wanted better high ISO and also ultimate IQ for landscape in a lightweight package for backpacking. I had been dithering over the 5dii, 5diii and 6d for months. I got quoted a great deal on a 6D ($1899 brand new body-only at a local camera store) this weekend and couldn't resist.

After shooting with it over the weekend, first impresions:

The camera is light, almost to the point of being a bit plasticky relative to the 7D. Not objectionable though. I wanted light, and I got it. Build feels about 2/3 of the way between the 7D and a rebel, closer to 7D.

Controls take a little getting used to coming from 7D. The locking mode dial is welcome for me. Other changes not as much. The quick-control dial is smaller, and the controller within it is a little fussier and more awkward than the joystick on the 7D. The tecnique for zooming in on the LCD is completely different - push the mangifying glass button, then use the main dial to zoom in. The 6D method is actually more efficient ergonomically, but it's new and different and still seems awkward to me coming from the 7D.

The sound of the shutter is different. Not as nice as the 7D, frankly. A bit..."cloinkier", and the whole operation just seems to take fractionally longer to unfold. Obviously, both the mirror and shutter are larger than the 7D, so that probably explains it.

I've only used the center AF point so far, which has been fast and deadly accurate with all the lenses I've tried, including ones that never worked well on the 7D. In particular, my 24-70 mk i never worked well on my 7D; it was hard to get sharp shots, even after +16 MA using FoCal. It wasn't any better on my son's t3i. I had given up on that lens. But the difference on the 6D is night and day; it is quite good at 2.8, and impressive at f4 accross the full frame, with no MA. I feel like I've gotten a free 24-70 with my 6D, because that lens had been basically a $1400 doorstop when I had only the 7D. All my fast primes (28 1.8, 50 1.4, 100 f2) likeiwse performed commendably on the 6d in casual testing. The 28mm in particular also seemed to benefit on the 7D, maybe because of more accurate AF.

I tried the AF out in the lowest light I could create in our evening living room - darker than I could ever envison for actual picture taking. AF took a second or two, but locked on accurately. More to come on this, but first impression was that the center AF point is everything it's cracked up to be.

I haven't had a chance to do much testing of the high ISOs, but in initial shots, ISO 6400 looked very good relative to 7D, and even 256k looked usable in a pinch. Overall maybe 2 stops better than 7D? More to come...

The acid test...IQ. I had read about the benefits of full frame vs. crop, but this was my first chance to test the claims firsthand. I used my sharpest zoom, the 70-200 2.8 ii, as my test case. I shot at 2.8 and f/8, trying to frame shots equivalently (100mm for the 7D, 160 for the 6D). What I found was that the 6D IQ for equivalently framed shots was indeed better, but not night-and-day better. (Given that I'll continue to use my 7D as my primary body for sports and birds, that's good news Samples attached below for f/8 f/2.8 results were similar.

So far, after two days, the 6D delivers as promised - very high IQ and good high ISO performance in a light, affordable package.

Loving my new toy!

The shot, with the 7D.

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    102mm    f/2.8    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Close crop, 7D, near the edge of the frame.

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    102mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Same image, same aperture, equivalently framed, 6D

Canon EOS 6D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    155mm    f/2.8    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Same close crop, 6D

Canon EOS 6D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    155mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:53 AM
tshore
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 6D! First impressions

After looking at the post, the cropped images from the 6D and the 7D look closer to each other in the post than they did on my screen. Perhaps the result of downrezzing them to 900x600 MP for posting.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:58 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 6D! First impressions

At base ISo the difference will show up more in better colour differentiation.

ISO 800+ it wil be much bigger.

As for zoom , its awkward at first, also you can set the default zoom level in the menus, either at a certain percent, pixel level or last zoom and also set it to the focus point. Handy once you have it set.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:06 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 6D! First impressions

^ - they look pretty close to me.

Personally, I don't shoot with FF for the resolution/IQ advantage - I use it mostly for DOF. In terms of resolution and IQ my Oly OM-D comes pretty damn close to my SLR gear, but it struggles to give me that FF look, which is why I still own a FF camera. Love my 6d by the way.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:07 AM
ardvorak
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 6D! First impressions

Great write-up. Thanks for the first impressions! Now get back to playing with the new toy!

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 6D! First impressions

You are not going to see significant difference between ISO 100 shots in good light, especially comparing 18 and 20MP cameras. I don't think the 6D would really start to outclass the 7D until you compare low light and higher ISO images, especially if you need to lighten lower mids and shadows.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 6D! First impressions

Thank you.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 6D! First impressions

Thank you for this informative post.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:10 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 6D! First impressions

Well done Tim....short, sweet and genuinely yours.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:37 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 6D! First impressions

Excellent information here, thanks.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thw2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 6D! First impressions

michael49 wrote:
Personally, I don't shoot with FF for the resolution/IQ advantage - I use it mostly for DOF. In terms of resolution and IQ my Oly OM-D comes pretty damn close to my SLR gear, but it struggles to give me that FF look, which is why I still own a FF camera. Love my 6d by the way.

+1. Indeed.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:26 AM
phamtasm
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New 6D! First impressions

I notice a lot less fringing and CA on the 6D sample. I've read from Ken Rockwell that the 6D does indeed fix this issue and even make older lenses look better. I'm just wondering if I'm seeing it or if it's just part of my imagination.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:28 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New 6D! First impressions

Congrats on the new toy. As others have stated there will be little difference at base ISO, maybe some better colors and contrast out of the 6d, but the real test is to compare ISO 3200 on the 7d to that of the 6d and you'll be a happy camper.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:17 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New 6D! First impressions

tshore wrote:

So far, after two days, the 6D delivers as promised - very high IQ and good high ISO performance in a light, affordable package.

Loving my new toy!

thx for the review

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New 6D! First impressions

Can't see any difference b/t the two close up images above tbh. High ISO is where the 6d will pull away from the 7d. But everything else I think it will be close while 7d will offer more AF options and CLS capabilities.

But congrats on the 6d anyways. It complements the 60d more than the 7d because of the buttons layout and controls.

Just wondering does it offer button reassignments like the 7d & 5d3?

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:55 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New 6D! First impressions

Yes, it offers some.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Hask2

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New 6D! First impressions

Thanks for your view, I'm in the same boat, really lusting (rather than really *needing*) FF.

Well, same boat, except that my 24-70mkI is really tack-sharp on my 7D

I look forward for any high-iso comparisons you might do.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New 6D! First impressions

tshore -- I also see little difference between the two samples in the cropped examples. But I find both slightly unacceptable compared to what I'm used to seeing in fine details. It looks like you shot the original images as jpgs, then converted/resized as jpgs again, resulting in a lot of smoothing of details and large areas of what should be subtle tone changes. I'm used to viewing RAW, making adjustments, then output as jpgs with sharper details and rez.

Were these originally RAW files? If not, that would go a way toward explaining why the two looks so similar, compared to what I see in my photos and many other photographers posts here on FM.

If you were shooting RAW, are you using DPP to process? I notice it does a lot of automatic smoothing of such areas as the building and shrub in front of it. Or was it LR4?

I'm not being critical of your gear -- I think it is great and you made a great choice. I'm just expecting a little more clarity.

Edited on Jan 07, 2013 at 07:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:20 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New 6D! First impressions

BTW I'm finding my shots pin sharp even jpg with bags of detail (shooting neutral picture style).

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New 6D! First impressions

Rob -- Yes, all your pictures have looked very sharp.

Perhaps the smoothing and detail loss is DPP (window frames for example -- loss of rez, sort of trying to make sharp straight lines there, but clumping).

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password