Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hello and thank you

WillMilne

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hello and thank you

Hi from Winnipeg Manitoba

I have been lurking around for a while and enjoyed the character and quality of discussion hereabouts and finally jumped in.

Of late I have been exploring working with people after many years of macro and landscape based photography.

Thought I would share some of that new exploration as a first post- I'm very thick skinned and very much in a deep learning mode - so open to suggestions/comments.

Lighting- Single Elinchrom Dlite400 it with Portalite softbox through a 5x8' diffusion panel - with white reflector panel as fill on the off light source side.

Nikon D600 and Nikkor 105 f2.8 VR

Will

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:43 AM
HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hello and thank you

Wow! Nice, especially that 3rd one.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:45 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hello and thank you

Hi Will and welcome to the forum. I think you are off to a good start. I like the last shot the most. The 1st shots.... my only suggestion would be to move you subject further from the background to help eliminate the wrinkles/creases in the seamless.

Once again welcome.
Hatch

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:00 AM
dogwater

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hello and thank you

I like them all but the 3rd is stunning. Very pleasing on my eyes. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hello and thank you

All three are very nice and show what can be accomplished with a fairly simple lighting set-up. I agree #3 in particular is a stunner.
#2 is very nice but I think it starts to show the limitations of your set-up, perhaps also equipment and space. Getting her farther from the backdrop would not only help with the backdrop wrinkles but also help control the wash from the main onto the backdrop. A grid or flag off the side of the main might also help, as well as a light on the backdrop.
Good work. Welcome and please let's see more of your work.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:16 AM
jhobgood
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hello and thank you

I really like #1 and #3. in #2 I think it would work better if she turned toward the light more. Eyeball may be right that this one the setup may be not quite enough.

Thanks for sharing and please share more!

Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hello and thank you

Beautiful....nice to see what the d600 can do in capable hands. With number 3 do you have any with the same angle but the eyes looking at the camera?

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:22 AM

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hello and thank you

Beautiful shots. Great control of the light.

I'm with Michael on wanting eye contact on #3.

Totally out of your control, but her eyebrows are "too shaped" and look fake.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hello and thank you

Beautiful shots. I like all.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:43 AM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hello and thank you

Nothing to add to what was said above... Great work! Would love to see your macro and landscape shots too

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:21 PM
WillMilne

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hello and thank you

Hi

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging words.

Ah yes the background - the studio was a local rental and the onsite paper background was a little aged- I thought I had dealt with that in post but very helpfull to know that it is still obvious.

Yep- the lighting setup was simple on purpose , mostly because my experience is limited and I needed a starting point and having read many threads hereabouts suggesting that knowing the height of your rubber boots before wading into the river might avert possibly unpleasant disaster-I took note ).I figured the headshot/threequarters and full height looks would expose where the basic setup idea fit . Your suggestions of how it could be modified are very helpfull.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking at trying to control the wash onto the background on the full height look - I like the lighting on the figure but hadn't thought of flagging or grid control- but will look at that next time.

Sorry bout the eye contact on #3 I got really locked in on the idea of "looking outside the frame" on that one - so only have variations of the same

Thanks again for the welcome and kind words

Will

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:31 AM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hello and thank you

I do like the quality of the shots - the colors work nicely with the background gray. The first shot may be my favorite. The second may also look good bare feet. The one thing that throws me off on the third shot is that the model's eye brows pop out as "painted" - at least to me. I don't notice that as much in the first shot. You capture her beautiful eyes very, very well though.

Frank

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:13 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hello and thank you

I like the lighting its really neat and subtle. I love the first shot, the second is nice too. But the third seems a little over edited.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password