Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

sportsdadof3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

I have been debating (probably paralysis from analysis now) on a second body for my D3 and a friend as offer a D800 in mint condition (300 clicks) for $2500 (just never used it). I shoot sports / events and mainly in poor lighting conditions (gyms / stadiums at night) - so the high ISO performing and focusing system on the D800 is reason for the consideration. Read a lot of varying opinions D800 is not a "sports" camera because of file size and low frame rate (some good debate on frame rates out there ).

Plus - the D600 lurks out there and I have one kit ready to pick up for $400 bucks less.

Thoughts from D800 users? more than I need? investment? ... too many choices of the aging mind.

Thanks for your time!

Best to All,

Wendell

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:32 AM
m_appeal
• • •
p.1 #2 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

Buffer is the biggest problem w/ D800 for sports

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:46 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

Too slooooooooooowwwwwww...... I haven't touched my D800 since October....

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:25 AM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #4 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

I just sold my D800 after upgrading from the D3. Way too different from each other and I miss my D3. I am in the market for a D3s or D4 now.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #5 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

I just sold my D800 after upgrading from the D3. Way too different from each other and I miss my D3. I am in the market for a D3s or D4 now.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:38 AM
s14brent
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

i'm debating the same thing. I shoot a mixture of things though, and would primarily be using it for my studio work or for my specialty lens' (tiltshift/fisheye) at events.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:03 AM
sportsdadof3
• • •
p.1 #7 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I would still use the D3 as primary for action and the second body for some action but mainly for various other off-action / atmosphere images.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis H.
• • •
p.1 #8 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

I sold my D3 to purchase a D800. I received one on the first batch to hit the USA, maybe I got lucky but the camera has been perfect in every way.
I don't do a lot of fast action shooting so the frame rate hasn't bothered me.
The only thing I miss about the D3 is the size even though I have small hands the D3 just seamed to fit better, plus the extra controls.
I think having each would be nice and if I could have afforded to have both cameras I would have kept the D3.
I wish they made a high rez D4 but the it would be above my means.
If the two different size bodies don't give you problems going from one to the other.
I think you will really like the D800.
Dennis

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:49 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #9 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

At the price of other D3's right now I would just grab another one

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:49 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

While capable of capturing faster action, I would have to say that the D800 leans more towards the slower paced side of photography. I like to think of it a lot like shooting with a medium format camera... there is a process into making the image with this camera.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:08 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

lxdesign wrote:
While capable of capturing faster action, I would have to say that the D800 leans more towards the slower paced side of photography. I like to think of it a lot like shooting with a medium format camera... there is a process into making the image with this camera.

So just cause the D800 has higher resolution and is slower than the D3, you all of a sudden CARE about the image you're making a little more? Like you spend more time composing, lighting, or dialing in a scene? It's not sheet film for pete's sake....lol

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:08 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #12 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

sportsdadof3 wrote:
I have been debating (probably paralysis from analysis now) on a second body for my D3 and a friend as offer a D800 in mint condition (300 clicks) for $2500 (just never used it). I shoot sports / events and mainly in poor lighting conditions (gyms / stadiums at night) - so the high ISO performing and focusing system on the D800 is reason for the consideration. Read a lot of varying opinions D800 is not a "sports" camera because of file size and low frame rate (some good debate on frame rates out there ).

Plus - the D600 lurks
...Show more

I'd probably opt for either the D3s or D4 if fps and high ISO performance are important. However, in the hands of a very capable photographer, I suppose the D800 can be used a sports camera to a certain extent.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:53 AM
ishootsports3
• • •
p.1 #13 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

I am a sports photographer, I just picked up a D800 but its not really a sports camera to me, I shoot strobed basketball with it and everything non sports. It is amazing for strobed basketball but the speedos in the catwalk are the limiting factor in terms of frame rate, not the camera. That said I used it as a remote for NFL yesterday and the framerate was enough to get the image I needed. From my basketball work I can say the AF is up to snuff for sure, framerate will be up to you in terms of acceptable or not tho.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · D800 as 2nd body to D3?

Consider why you want a second body. If it is fundamentally to act as a familiar backup in case of camera failure or loss then it should be just like the primary body, only working. If it is to provide an alternative capability then the D800 is quite attractive - unless you still only want to shoot low-res jpegs for someone else to rummage through as fast as possible and as soon as possible while you are still shooting.

The D800 loses its appeal if you don't shoot raw and especially if you don't want large files to deal with.

If you want to use anything but the centre AF sensors (e.g. the centre sensor with AF expansion enabled, or just the outer AF sensors) then be sure that the D800 you buy has had a recent fix for the focus issues. The early fixes don't count because Nikon didn't have the right solution then.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password