Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

macquesta

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

I am having problems with the shutter release on the Canon 40D. Sometimes it will not click and otgher times it works fine. Seems to work fine with the 2 and 10 sec timer release functions. Anybody have this problem? If so, is there a fix that I can do without sending the camera in for repair? Thanks.

Michael S.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #2 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Welcome to the FM forum.

You haven't provided enough detail to advise you.

What steps have you taken to diagnose your problem?

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:48 PM
macquesta

p.1 #3 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

The only thing I have tried so far is to use compressed air to blow onto the shutter release button to see if that would blow away any dirt or debris inside the camera immediately under the button. That may have helped a bit. I have had to maneuver my finger over the button, rocking the button from side to side, back and forth to get it to engage. The AF works fine when I push the button half-way.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Friend had this too, I think a semi common problem on older 40d's.

Try some spray contact cleaner

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:01 PM
macquesta

p.1 #5 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Thanks Rob. Will that be safe enough and not cause other problems?

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:11 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Dont spray it on the sensor..? Should be ok its made to be safe for electronics.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

I've cleaned a few shutter switches with electrical contact cleaner and they came back to life. Realize the cleaner will only help if the short is caused by finger goo/sweat leaked onto the contacts. If the contacts are worn down, they will need to be replaced.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Do a search on YouTube for the alcohol fix. (Search 50D alcohol fix I think)

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Be careful what electronic cleaner you use.

I bought a large can of electronic cleaner, went to use it on a computer keyboard, and the spray caused the plastic to melt and turn gooey.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

You're supposed to only apply it on the electrical contacts. Realize to be effective at removing chemical residue and finger goo it has to contain solvents. Whatever you do, don't spray any optical components like the reflex mirror, pentaprism or focusing screen. I normally spray a q-tip and wipe the contacts directly.

I've successfully used contact cleaner to fix keyboards but you need to disassemble it and clean the individual key switches. Just spraying the outside just makes for poor penetration, creates a mess and wastes expensive cleaner. I was surprised at how many hairs, cookie crumbs and dried coffee got down there...

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:15 PM
macquesta

p.1 #11 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Thanks to all. Mike

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:38 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #12 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Hey, I had this same problem with my 40D and fixed it myself using the video in the description shown here. It requires a tear-down, so it's not for the faint of heart, but it was fun to do it myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shippelt/3099140135/

Here's the service manual that helps greatly with taking the camera apart.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36932157/Canon-Eos-40D-Service-Manual-Repair-Guide

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #13 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Hi Mike,

I've had this happen twice on my 40D. I almost tried the alcohol trick, then read further in a post that there were difficulties from that 'fix' later on. I send mine into Canon both times for a repair cost of about $180 the first time and $210 the second time. Both times it came back working like new and I loved it all over again! Had I seen the YouTube above I may have attempted it but that extra screw would have driven me nuts!

Oh yes - when you send it in, they tell you the cost of repair before you commit, they may also offer you a 'loyalty' upgrade price - but you can have it sent back without repair.

Best wishes - let us know the end result!
Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:22 AM
macquesta

p.1 #14 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Jim,

Are the instructions to send the 40D to Canon on the Canon website? Can you direct me to the instructions? Thanks.

MIke

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #15 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Are you a CPS member? If not, now may be an excellent time to join. 30% off on labor and free return shipping plus other benefits like loaners.

CPS

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:42 AM
jek-wy
• •
p.1 #16 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Mike, I went through the Canon site and found a support number. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_40d#ServiceAndSupport
If that link doesn't work, the United States Toll Free number for Canon Customer Support is: 1-800-652-2666
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. EST,
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., excluding holidays

They directed me from there and sent email with instruction if I recall. If you need more info, I can try to dig up my old correspondence.

Jim

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:38 AM
bauerman
• • •
p.1 #17 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Have easily corrected my issue with a q-tip soaked with electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack and then just work it in and around the shutter button - then repeatedly press and release and twist the shutter button to work it in where it needs to go. No dis-assembly needed at all and great results.

Has been fine ever since and I didn't spend $200 bucks and/or pack my camera up and ship it off.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:14 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Shutter Release Problem Canon 40D

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Do a search on YouTube for the alcohol fix. (Search 50D alcohol fix I think)

right, (or search on POTN) easily fixes those shutter release problems

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password