Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Well I am back from Orlando and family fun and enjoying being home in minus 18 weather. I don't know why I leave. I alway do much better taking pictures at home.

Dan Heitman bought a new 14-24 for his D800 so we returned to a easy safe spot to try it out. I got a TS24 to complement my TS17. Hopefully he will post his pictures soon. The best of canon technology (5diii/24TS) vs the best of nikon technology (d800/14-24).

Here are my best pictures of the day.

1-4 of 4

1 of 4 - Down the river looking East - with the TS17

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/11.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4 - On the shore under the bridge looking East

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/11.0    1/13s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4 - In the River Looking East

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/11.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 of 4 - Not Castle but Emerald Lake with Lodges looking West

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/11.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jan 06, 2013 at 06:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

And an extra shot of Dan.

Dan - working the new 14-24 in the River at -18 degrees

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    24mm    f/11.0    1/40s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Aree those bare hands at -18F. You guys are studs or lost all feeling in your extremities. I don't envy the dedication you guys have to function in that climate, BTW nice shots. Rick

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:09 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Wow... makes me feel cold just watching those pictures. No. 3 gets my vote.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Rick Shump: Bare hands only to switch lens and adjust stuff. I prefer to think - studs rather than stupid Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

AMajl: Glad you like 3. It was warmer than the previous visit when Dan brought the wrong boots and got wet. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:37 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

The first shot is my favorite

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:54 AM
ramdisk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Scott great series, 3 is my fav

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:32 AM
jcw1982
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Excellent series! I really like the last with Dan standing out in the river.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:39 AM
ingemar
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Great.The first might be my favorite because of the leaning trees. 3rd and 4th are close behind.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

thw2: The first one is my favorite as well. We found it after the good light went away. But the next time should be great. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ramdisk: Glad you like 3. It was a great morning. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

jcw1982: Next time I will have to take a better model Glad you like it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ingemar: Glad you like them. I really liked the view in first but the light was not as exciting at this point. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jaharris129
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

a wonderful series !! Learning a little about the TS lens'.. pretty incredible

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:59 PM
austriker
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

fantastic- love the shot of dan too.. Has he posted his results yet? (Sorry Im new to the landscape section so Im not sure who he is). I love number 3 and its light on the right

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Nice shots Scott. Would you believe that we were just up Hwy 93 climbing Mount Haffner above that cloud bank in t-shirts to the summit?! You gotta love inversions...

http://verndewit.com/img/s2/v72/p1367661046-5.jpg

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

jaharris129: Glad you like them. The Tilt/shift is the best bar none, except for night shooting, when you are near moutains or trees. After you use it (shift more than tilt) and get used to having no perspective fix (that results from not having shift) you won't want to use even the zeiss 21 (except to the beach because iq does not matter when the picture is distorted). Buy the ts17 first (it takes the 1.4x to 24mm) and is more vasatile. Scott

austriker: I have yet to see Dan Heitman's shots. I don't think he had posted them yet. Likely because they are better than mine and he does not like to show me up. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the forum. Much appreciated. Scott

Vern Dewit: Wow - T-shirts. It was minus 19 or so at the river. Great picture. Your pictures always make me want to be younger (able to climb). Thanks for the feedback and the picture. Much appreciated. Scott

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:39 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Number 1 and 3 for me Scott, though I like them all. Darwin has an opening this weekend but no way am I getting out in those kind of temperatures. It is in the 50s here in Houston and that is cool enough for me.

Those rocks by the bridge seemed slippery to me in the summer; I cannot imagine getting out in that stream in the middle of winter. I hope you had Yaktrax or something similar. Would have to be a cold plunge if you fell.

Thanks for sharing. My Calgary friends are headed back up there tomorrow. Back into the freezer!
Don

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

dwa652: Glad you like them. Actually it was not particularly slippery in the river but very slippery on the edges. Dan went through the ice and fell and I made the right choice to grab his camera and tripod rather than Dan Don't worry he survived, just a little wetter. But we don't have to worry about the bears sneaking up on us. You should visit in the winter - provided you dress well, its great. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Nice pictures Scott, I like them all and in particular the last shot you'll have to email me one of those.
Dan

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:04 AM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Great set. I like #1 the most for the nice light on the mountain and the trees leaning out over the lake add interest to the composition.

Wayne

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:08 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Scott,

Really like the set, especially the first one. -18 that is bone chilling cold!

Jason

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Castle Mountain - Banff National Park

Dan Heitman: The last shot would have been pretty if the model was better, but I will send it to you Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

wbrad: Number 1 was my favorite as well. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

roguecoolman: Minus 18 is not bone chilling - that's minus 40 with a wind. Its only California cold. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password