Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100s!

neilvan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Fuji X100s!

Spyro P. wrote:
sorry but it has to be said
fuji kicks *ss

In my experience with Fuji, I would be more inclined to say they suck ass.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.3 #2 · Fuji X100s!

well yeah they do a little bit
but at least they have the balls to try something different rather than warm up another slr or rangefinder design from 100 years ago

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:25 AM
jeremymeier
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Fuji X100s!

One thing to note as well on the newer hybrid AF design, when I had the NEX-7, the NEX-6 came out with a similar hybrid system and it didn't appear to be noticeably faster or more precise in most respects... Certainly nothing like a DSLR would perform... I hope Fuji's rendition of this system is a bit better than Sonys was...

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Sagar
• • •
p.3 #4 · Fuji X100s!

Only if Fuji could do something like Nikon One which has hybrid AF and is freaking fast...

jeremymeier wrote:
One thing to note as well on the newer hybrid AF design, when I had the NEX-7, the NEX-6 came out with a similar hybrid system and it didn't appear to be noticeably faster or more precise in most respects... Certainly nothing like a DSLR would perform... I hope Fuji's rendition of this system is a bit better than Sonys was...

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:46 AM
ayler
• •
p.3 #5 · Fuji X100s!

justruss wrote:
I'll preface this by saying i) I'd rather not let this thread dissolve into a religious debate on X-Trans (there are plenty of other places for that), and ii) we don't really know what THIS sensor is going to produce along with EXR II processor until it gets out into the wild.

That said, short answer: No, JPEGs from my X-E1 are not perfect. Nor are RAWs. Neither are the same from my 5D2 (for comparison), but for other reasons.

Longer answer: Expecting perfection is a losing game. And I love my X-E1 as I do my 5D2. The OOC
...Show more

No I don't want this to turn into a religious debate either.

I know, I know, no sensor is perfect, but I'm referring specifically to the colour and pattern artefacts that are quite common in the RAWs. I understand that some will be more 'sensitive' to other sensor traits, and hence will live happily with the X Trans, but this is quite important to me - so much so that I'm going to trade a Nikon D600 for something else, because, compared to what I've owned before, it's a bloody moire machine. My bar on this is the Sony A900, whose sensor, although noisier at high ISO and worse performing than this generation on the measuring lab, is as close to an artefact free sensor as it gets, IMHO - little colour and pattern moire, no perceptible jaggies, no edge moire. I prefer noise to artefacts and a slightly 'thicker' AA to what I get in the D600, for instance, which is designed for resolution at the expense of some moire (too much for my taste).

Would you say that OOC JPEGs are still better than what can be achieved from RAW or are they now on a par?

What I like in the X100s is its size and simplicity (fixed lens, physical dials and rings for everything that's important and straightforward operation with no 3D sweep nonsense and whatnot) allied to the fact that most 1st generation complaints have been addressed. I would happily live with the 12MP sensor for this type of cam, but I like the 'operational' improvements in X100s.

Edited on Jan 07, 2013 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:54 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Fuji X100s!

I haven't done an in-depth comparison, Ayler, but my gut feeling is that you probably won't be happy with the X-Trans at this point. Your best bet is definitely skipping the current (1st) generation, and see what the X100s brings to the table once others start posting examples.

If you're returning the D600 (which I haven't shot with) because of moire/patterning, I can't imagine the AA-less, X-trans funky XPro/XE are going to be an improvement for you-- probably worse.

That's doubly so since you're all about low ISO cleanliness instead of high ISO performance. In my opinion-- X Trans is clearly optimized for low light/high iso.

Why not go to the A900. My understanding is that at low iso it still isn't really beat. And I imagine you can get one for a song.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:06 PM
nycandre

p.3 #7 · Fuji X100s!

The issue will clearly be resolved over time. Looks like Phase One* will be the first ex Fuji to properly support that sensor. Fuji's X Trans is in for the long run. It really seems a simple matter now to use LR for most photos and only use Silkypix for probematic images. Most users probably will need the extra retouching in less than 1% of their shots.
For an informative discussion (with solutions) on the current status see
http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji-x-pro1/discuss/72157631913173508/

(*) http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12990&p=62562#p62562

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:22 PM
ayler
• •
p.3 #8 · Fuji X100s!

justruss wrote:
I haven't done an in-depth comparison, Ayler, but my gut feeling is that you probably won't be happy with the X-Trans at this point. Your best bet is definitely skipping the current (1st) generation, and see what the X100s brings to the table once others start posting examples.

If you're returning the D600 (which I haven't shot with) because of moire/patterning, I can't imagine the AA-less, X-trans funky XPro/XE are going to be an improvement for you-- probably worse.

That's doubly so since you're all about low ISO cleanliness instead of high ISO performance. In my opinion-- X Trans is clearly
...Show more

I'm going D800, but would consider Sony if they'd kept the optical viewfinder and not gone all gadgety. I've compared output from the D600 and the D800, and the latter's combination of increased resolving power and, possibly, a different AA filter architecture, results in much less moire in similar situations. It's a shame really, because the D600's sensor is, in every other respect, absolutely phenomenal.

Back on topic, I'll still watch the X100s closely, as the form factor is so appealing and, who knows, Fuji may have improved processing to the point where one can relax about whether output will display this type of artefact.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:25 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Fuji X100s!

@ayler: I can relate as my work horses are a900 & a850. From my POV, such defects are what you'd related to old sensor, from 5-6-7 years ago. Perhaps that's harsh, but in my simple mind sensors just 'worked' today, with the battle towards higher ISO being the main one, with incremental improvements in DR, tonality etc. Probably a strange view, but the a900 sensor just works as you'd expect it to. No defects from my experience, just more noise as you go up the ISO.

I really do hope there are improvements in the sensor and processor re: x-trans. I guess I could do DNG conversions, but I'd much prefer just to be able to open them in ACR and work on them normally.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:23 PM
jeremymeier
• •
p.3 #10 · Fuji X100s!

Sagar wrote:
Only if Fuji could do something like Nikon One which has hybrid AF and is freaking fast...

One of the biggest reasons that Nikon's 1 series AF is so fast is due to the very small sensor size... Less data to analyze and process. You start getting into larger sensors, and it slows down....

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Fuji X100s!

jeremymeier wrote:
One of the biggest reasons that Nikon's 1 series AF is so fast is due to the very small sensor size... Less data to analyze and process.

also more dof to cover up AF inaccuracy.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.3 #12 · Fuji X100s!

sebboh wrote:
also more dof to cover up AF inaccuracy.

Also less glass to move.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:07 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Fuji X100s!

The split image focusing in action:
http://www.fujirumors.com/split-image-in-action/

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:28 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Fuji X100s!

On that subject. Even without phase detect add on (I think) the rx100 is very fast to focus.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Dawud
• •
p.3 #15 · Fuji X100s!

LightShow wrote:

Cool! It's like my old OM10. Love that!

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:33 PM
ceder
• •
p.3 #16 · Fuji X100s!

LightShow wrote:

Yes, this is more like SLR focusing. So not overlay as I first thought... Hope it is effective in low light!

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:41 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Fuji X100s!

Evf only ?

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:25 PM
_julian_
• •
p.3 #18 · Fuji X100s!

Wow! On a high quality EVF that should be amazing! Focus by wire is not much fun, but this will be great for manual lenses when the technology finds its way into an ILS camera.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.3 #19 · Fuji X100s!

X100s - $1300
X20 - $600

They are to be expected at the end of March.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:51 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Fuji X100s!

ricardovaste wrote:
Ah, very good point re: software. I only use ACR. Can't be arsed faffing with a new workflow for casual snaps. That might tilt me towards the "original" in fact, but will have to see how things pan out.

If they are "casual snaps" then why not use the Fuji jpegs ?

The Fuji JPEG engine delivers what many consider to be the best color rendition and sharpening of darn near any camera out there. I

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:54 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password