New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tripod for Markins Q10

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod for Markins Q10

I know this is somehow reversed since most start with a tripod and inquire about a compatible ball head, but I heard a lot about the Markins Q10 and I jumped on a deal for one.

My experience in tripod systems is very limited and only with cheap tripods that have built in heads and release plates. I am looking for a light weight tripod for my heaviest setup (D600 + Grip + Nikon 105 2.8VR, Nikon 70-300VR or Nikon 16-35 f/4) which is compatible with the Q10 ball head. I also don't want to break the bank so I was looking at a couple of used options and my research led me to the Gitzo G1028, Gitzo GT0531 and Feisol 3442 which are all within my budget ($200-$300). However, I am not sure if the Q10 base size fits onto these models.

The other thing that really confuses me is release plates and their compatibility with the ball head's clamp and the camera itself. I am not sure which clamp mine comes with but it has a knob and I believe it's called QR 48. How can I mount the D600 on the Q10? And how can I mount the ball head on the tripod? I noticed that some use an extra base that sits between the tripod and the head, is this necessary? There's also different release plate models and techniques with different branding and that confuses the hell out of me, excuse my ignorance

I mainly shoot landscape, macro and a little wildlife. I appreciate your help!

Hussain

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod for Markins Q10

first things first. the clamp assy used on most ballheads is known as an arca swiss type clamp. originally designed by the arca swiss camera maker. they build setups (ballheads rails and such) that were originally designed for view/ large format type cameras. around 1990 a small company call RRS in California decided that this was the optimum idea and started to essentially custom manufacture camera and lens adapter plates for the SLR market on exactly fit per camera design and shape. I started using them in 1991. then along came Kirk and then there are a few others around too.

the QR-48 is a screw closure type clamp and should fit any reasonably well manufactured AS type plate due to it wide range of jaw movement. essentially if it fits in the open you and has the proper matching lip it will fit. just be careful and visually and physically it is properly in the throat and locked down before letting go.

the QL-48 will fit any plate out there in that it is adjustable on a per plate basis. now this can be a 2 bladed sword. if you are like some and buy plate from different makers you may spend time adjusting for the proper tension each time you change out. this is rather counterproductive in the idea of a lever lock. as is advised on the Markins and RRS website when using a lever type clamp it would be in your best interest to stick with one plate maker so to maintain the level of repeatability in the plates dimensions so you do not need to readjust for the nominal differences in manufacturing dimension. in the case of RRS and Wimberley the are identical.

now you have a choice of base plates. either a standard or an L type. the L give the advantage of repositioning from landscape to portrait with minimal recomposing when using the camera body on the head. most larger lenses have their own mounts that are easily adapted to use with a arca swiss type clamp. there are hundreds of designs and they also have other attachments for accessories and lighting.
the most mature and complete is currently RRS.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:59 AM
godfather
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod for Markins Q10

Congrats on your new head!

sjms has already commented on the arca swiss plate design. There are many universal plates and custom fit (for cameras and lenses) from kirkphoto, really right stuff, markins, and other companies. I would look on ebay for used models to save some money.

For your tripod I would look at a full size model. IMO the gitzo 0 and 1 series are great for a second pod but I would not suggest for your first main pod. Do a search on this forum and please let us know what your budget is. The attachment on any quality full size pod will be a 3/8 inch stud that will thread into the Q10. The extra base is not normally required between the tripod and the head.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:42 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod for Markins Q10

I use a Feisol 3442 & Acratech leveling base w/ my Markins M10 (predecessor of the Q10). Good and light combination. Can *almost* reverse the legs over the ballhead but the pan base knob gets partially in the way (dont know if they modified that in the Q series).

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM
anakha
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod for Markins Q10

I use a Gitzo 3542LS with my Q10 - love the combination - so stable!

Anakha

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:20 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod for Markins Q10

Sjms & godfather thanks a lot for the very detailed and informative replies! Then I think I will stick to L-brackets and a more sturdy tripod than th one I mentioned. How about the GT2541? Does anyone have experience with it? Weight and size is really an issue for me because I travel a lot, or should I stick with the 1542T?

Thanks again

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:58 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod for Markins Q10

howardm4 wrote:
I use a Feisol 3442 & Acratech leveling base w/ my Markins M10 (predecessor of the Q10). Good and light combination. Can *almost* reverse the legs over the ballhead but the pan base knob gets partially in the way (dont know if they modified that in the Q series).

I'll second the recommendation for the Feisol 3442. Lovely tripod. Light, compact yet nice and steady. I've used mine with a 7d and 70-200 lens with no issues at all. Been through many miles both strapped to my pack and inside my suitcase without any problems.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod for Markins Q10

hijazist wrote:
Sjms & godfather thanks a lot for the very detailed and informative replies! Then I think I will stick to L-brackets and a more sturdy tripod than th one I mentioned. How about the GT2541? Does anyone have experience with it? Weight and size is really an issue for me because I travel a lot, or should I stick with the 1542T?

Thanks again

If weight and size is an issue for you. And you also think about the travel tripod. Then the Markins Q3 & Q3T would be better

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:06 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod for Markins Q10

hijazist wrote:
How about the GT2541?

The Q10 is a great match for a 2-series Gitzo rather than a 1-series. The Q3 is a better match for a 1-series Gitzo.

Also check out the 2-series RRS tripods, the price difference between Gitzo & RRS isn't that great these days.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:18 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod for Markins Q10

sjms wrote:
around 1990 a small company call RRS in California decided that this was the optimum idea and started to essentially custom manufacture camera and lens adapter plates for the SLR market on exactly fit per camera design and shape. I started using them in 1991. then along came Kirk and then there are a few others around too.

OT but I recently ran across a thread that had something of a different story and I'm curious to know what you think of it. Have you heard this story before? Just read the first two or three posts to get the gist. Later on in either in this thread or another one there was an amusing post that Geyer demanded a refund from Kirk after sending the plates back!

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod for Markins Q10

a lot of interesting "web based" info there. it would be nice to have references.
Geyers daughter still works at RRS.
Joan is Filipino/Chinese lived in the Philippines to begin with

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:41 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod for Markins Q10

sjms, do you have any recommendation on which to choose between 1541 or 2541? As I mentioned my heaviest setup is a D600 and a Nikon 105 2.8VR so does the 1541 work as a main tripod? I won't be buying two separate tripods for travel and main use so I need one to fill both uses.

Thanks again
Hussain

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod for Markins Q10

if I were to get a gitzo it would be the 2541. I have a 2540 explorer that used to have an M10 on top. I am not a fan of Gitzos lowest leg section on the 1 series. for travel and light weight I use a RRS TQC14 which is close to a 2 series gitzo. not the best combo for a Q10 though but considerably better built.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.