Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I hate large group shots (>6 ppl) so much

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I hate large group shots (>6 ppl) so much

I hate large group shots, so much. I never know how to make them interesting. (Small groups I deal with pretty well.) For some reason eventgoers always love >6 people in a shot. What good is the picture if your face is only as small as a thumbnail? It's really hard to do long and fast that way, or do proper strobism.

I wouldn't mind the occasional large group shots, but they want *so* many. And I hate unnatural poses, I prefer to capture intimate and natural interactions between people. I suppose it's one of the things that you have to grudgingly do, or I guess this is where you get a second body with the wide-angle zoom to shoot these things, so you don't have to change lenses all the time to get back to the artistic shots.

Or can someone tell me how to do artistic large group shots? I work well up to 5-6 people.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:43 AM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · I hate large group shots (>6 ppl) so much

I cluster them into smaller groups.

I just did a family portrait of 11 grandchildren ages 6 months to 9 years (imagine that challenge) and essentially created three groups in close proximity. They looked like three little conversations going on but it was completely harmonious and coherent. What added to it was I had one of the boys in the center group touch the shoulder of his cousin in the camera-right group.

The same technique is often used of Vanity Fair-type shoots of large numbers of celebrities.

Hope this helps.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:30 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password