Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yosemite After Storm

HawkJody
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Yosemite After Storm

Yosemite bathed in a blanket of snow is magical to see, often difficult to capture, i tried.

Classic Tunnel View Yosemtie National Park

El Capitan

Yosemite Church

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:19 AM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · Yosemite After Storm

Very beautiful...
Lonnie

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:41 AM
brockwhittaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Yosemite After Storm

IMO they look a bit overprocessed, but the scenes and compositions are great!

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:49 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Yosemite After Storm

Hey Jody,

The scenes in each of these is great, but for me the HDR processing takes away from the beauty. The over processed looking sky, with the dark centers and light sides, just doesn't look real. I am guessing you used HDR because the shadows were too deep if the sky wasn't blowing out? If using layer masks is an issue, you still would have been better off just recovering the shadow detail in ACR. Especially the later versions of ACR allow one to really recover quit a bit of detail without destroying the shadow areas. And if you just wanted your shots to have that little extra punch to them, just increase the saturation a bit.

Anyway, just some thoughts for you as each of these scenes are so well composed, you want to get the best from each.

Jim

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Yosemite After Storm

I agree with Jim on this one. These are some very beautiful scenes, but the HDR processing really distracts. It's a bit like viewing a wonderful scene out a window through a window screen. The processing gives some strange color casts, and halos. Since you have a bracketed series, I would consider doing a manual blend which will give a more more natural presentation.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:44 AM
HawkJody
• •
p.1 #6 · Yosemite After Storm

Thanks for the comments. I must confess i like the "over processed look" i also appreciate many do not. This was a three exposure HDR (-2,0+2) blended with Photomatix. One thing i can agree is the sky and El Cap appear too warm.

I have taken the middle exposure alone, what do you think about this one? I do appreciate the feed back.

jody

Yosemite Tunnel View 2

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:45 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Yosemite After Storm

are you using lr4? did you shoot raw?
if using lr4 or acr
take the middle shot. Pull back highlights to -80, push shadows to 30-40, pull back blacks to -12, push the whits to 5, increase clarity to 20, increase vibrance to 15, and saturation to 5. adjust contrast between 5 and 20 for the desire effect. you may have to slide the exposure slider a little bit . If you exposed correctly and did not blow the highlights completely, this will give you a pretty good starting point. if that works, please post.
Oh yeah, the images are amazing, except for the rather obvious hdr processing.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · Yosemite After Storm

I like the processing on the second image. Second view of first shot looks better, but too "cool" to my eyes. Maybe it's because I've finally calibrated my monitor and my eyes haven't adjusted yet. Third shot looks pretty good to me, with the exception of the church looking just a tad bit orange for me. But I realize this has to do with the lighting from the sun. Everything else in it looks great to me.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:56 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Yosemite After Storm

Great vistas... Yosemite never fails to impress and wow. I too am not a fan of the HDRish looks.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:36 PM
azbill
• •
p.1 #10 · Yosemite After Storm

Beautiful images.
They have a very "Thomas Kinkade" look to them, especially the church.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:18 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Yosemite After Storm

Personally I like the vibrant colors, if only you can make the blue sky looking more uniform.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:43 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #12 · Yosemite After Storm

Really like the last two and your re-edit! The blue trees in the foreground were a bit odd to me. I hope to get out west to the parks at some point in my life!

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #13 · Yosemite After Storm

I agree wil aal about the overprocessing. That said, I like #2 & #3 a bunch. #3 is my favorite, but it needs the stray branch cloned out in the top of the frame. Do that and you have next year's Christmas card!

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:32 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Yosemite After Storm

Hey Jody,

Your Middle exposure of #1 looks better, though it looks like you had the polarizer set too strong so you got that darker blue area in the sky. Using a layer mask to get the snow on the ground not quite so blue would help that too.

But in the end, it's the look you like best that matters. But I know you must know that in general, most of us here do not care for the overly processed HDR look. So if you enjoy that it's great, but you should preface your thread with that comment, so that when we first view your shots, we know that your intention was towards a more vibrant HDR look. That way many of us can tailor our comments with that in mind.

Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:21 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password