FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

ucphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

On a lark, I took my first visit to Big Basin State Park today. I hit a bit of drizzle, but that was fine, as I was going to shoot Sempervirens Falls.

Unfortunately, the SF Bay Area seems to be really short on waterfalls. So, while this would be a quite modest waterfall anywhere else, it is one of the few that I can actually drive to. Though driving there involves about 15-20 miles of driving on a twisty two lane road that is really only wide enough for about 1.8 cars side by side, not 2.

http://davehoward.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v69/p1366146558-3.jpg

Tamron 17-50mm @ 17mm, 0.6sec, f/5.6

C&C welcome.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:16 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

I haven't been there in many years. Used to live in Half Moon Bay with a good friend in Santa Cruz. If I had been you I would have gotten closer (or zoomed) for a tighter perspective of the falls and not so much of the peripheral surroundings in this case. Just a thought.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:01 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

Thanks. The position for taking photos is limited to a railed deck area, so this is as close as I could get physically. I did zoom in for a tighter shot or two. I didn't like it as much, but I don't remember why now. Maybe I'll revisit that...

Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

I've been there too... Sempervirens is a really cool waterfall but unfortunately very hard to compose for... so much walkways and railings, etc. If you have time to hike the Berry Creek Trail (also in Big Basin), it has some better falls, including Berry Creek Falls, Silver Falls, and Golden Cascade Falls.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:25 AM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

Matt, It looks like it might have been different in the past, but currently, there's a deck and the primary composition choices are move left or right less than 10 feet and zoom. As you move back, trees and underbrush obscure most lines of sight.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I grew up in Southern California, so my knowledge of the environment in the Bay Area is pretty limited. I'll check into those.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:31 AM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sempervirens Falls, Big Basin State Park, CA

@traveler: Thanks for your suggestion. I went back and indeed had an image with a tighter zoom. What I like about it is the contrast of the whiter water against the dark stone.

http://davehoward.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v79/p1367494702-3.jpg

Tamron 17-50mm @ 34mm, 1sec, f/5.6

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.