New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · narcissus

hypotyposis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · narcissus

Suggestions on how to compose this photo differently, etc.? I'm not sure what to do with the stem either, as that's bothering me. Thanks!

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · narcissus

Not a flower guy here, but I'd like to see the stem be a leading line from the foreground (bottom left portion of frame) and maybe something to prop under the flower to lift/rotate it toward the camera a bit more.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · narcissus

Try cropping in tighter. There is too much background and not enough flower.

Focus seems to be an issue. I don't know your f stop but I think you needed to shoot with a much higher f stop.

These flowers seem to be lying down on the job. Shooting with a vertical orientation would have helped.

The background is close and has hue and value similar to that of the flowers. I would suggest a different background especially darker and further away.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:23 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · narcissus

I agree with Jim's points.
Here is a re-work to illustrate several potential improvements.
First, I rotated the image 90 degrees for a vertical orientation. Then I rotated the flowers as much as I could to get a bit of a diagonal flow across the image from bottom l to top right to add some dynamism. This was limited by the crop.
I then set black and white points, which essentially adds contrast, improves some of the flatness of the original image. I bumped vibrance. I reduced clarity, consistent with the soft look you already had and the flowers as subject. I added some aggressive sharpening.
Finally I added a negative vignette to fade the background away from the flowers, continue the soft look, and diminish the stem.
Done in LR.
Lastly I cycled through Fred's mats/frames. Not really happy with any of them here, but I chose one anyhow to formalize the presentation.

Scott

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:40 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · narcissus

Very nice job Scott.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · narcissus

Scott, really nice rework. I would not have thought that much improvement was possible without reshooting.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · narcissus

+1 @ Nicely done.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:11 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · narcissus

sbeme wrote:
I agree with Jim's points.
Here is a re-work to illustrate several potential improvements.
First, I rotated the image 90 degrees for a vertical orientation. Then I rotated the flowers as much as I could to get a bit of a diagonal flow across the image from bottom l to top right to add some dynamism. This was limited by the crop.
I then set black and white points, which essentially adds contrast, improves some of the flatness of the original image. I bumped vibrance. I reduced clarity, consistent with the soft look you already had and the flowers as subject. I added
...Show more

Thanks, Scott! These were helpful changes that made the photo really gets away from the flatness.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:26 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · narcissus

Ben, Kent, Jim
Glad it worked well.

Scott

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:18 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · narcissus

Thanks Priscilla.
Glad it helped.
Scott

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:18 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.