Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature ne...

austriker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature newbie

Howdy Folks,

So my photography history has been mostly a wide array of various types (sports, photoj, some portrait, urban and life) although nature photography is where I think Im weakest. Compositionally I am never all that satisfied. Thus I decided this fall to try and get out on the weekends to shoot (practice, practice..) as photography is not my day gig.

Anywho I had acquired some ND filters a few weeks before taking this shot on a saturday when I adventured to 3 different waterfalls. This was my favorite. I was using my tokina 11-16 on my (at the time) recently acquired D700 (yum) with a 10 stop nd filter..

Any comments and critique is always appreciate. Thanks!

NIKON D700    11.0-16.0 mm f/2.8 lens    16mm    f/7.1    30s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:25 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature newbie

Composition is pretty good, but might have been a little better if a bit more of the right segment of the falls was in the frame, or maybe backing off just a bot so the path the water takes as it flows through those later rocks at the bottom is more pronounced. I feel like it's a little bit too dark too, maybe ease up on the vignetting a bit. Using the 10-stop ND is a bit overkill though. A rough way to estimate your exposure for waterfalls is 1-second for ever 100 feet the water falls, that will get you a good smooth blur while still generally retaining enough detail in the water that it doesn't just look like a white smear. This doesn't always hold true though, so ultimately the key is just to shoot a lot and experiment.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:37 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature newbie

I am not a fan of B and W but if you are looking a particular style, this image captures a dark mood, foreboding, ominous. What does the colour image look like and did you shoot without the 10-stop ND filter? If so, would love to see them too.

Alan

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:41 AM
austriker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature newbie

Thanks.

Bryan, your flickr stream is very impressive. It was a bit tricky to compose it as there was a large pool at the foot of the falls and this shot was taken from a overlooking rock on the side. Thus if I had packed up a bit to include the foreground (which I tried) it showed the rock I was on in the foreground. Thanks for the tip on estimating how long to use nd filters.

Angel, yea thats really the mood I was going for. Color-wise it was real drab as it was late fall. Lots of ugly brown and not much else thus I wanted to turn the falls into a foreboding type shot and test out the 10 stop filter. I will try and find some shots of what it looked like in color and the the foreground with which I was working.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:46 PM
gempixel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Late fall day - Waterfall from a self described nature newbie

I love this shot! Nice shooting.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password