Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

taylorman22
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

What type of lens would you prefer if you were shooting candid shots of your kids outside in say the backyard or at a park? Would you prefer something like the Canon 15-85 or a zoom like the 70-200 f4L or maybe a 70-300? Zoom lens or more wide angle? These are the types of shots I'm doing, but I'm still learning about how different focal lengths affect the shot. For example, a 50mm shot framed the same way as one at 200mm will look different.

Also, as I've been reviewing lenses, it just seems like most shots I see from the 15-85 are landscapes or buildings and most with the 70-200/70-300 are people. I'm wondering if keeping the kit 18-55 IS II for WA and getting a good zoom for the family is the best.

Just curious.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:46 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

Do you want to be near to your family and friends while shooting, or do you want to be at a distance?

What you like will determine which lens you should use.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:18 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #3 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

For me, I shoot between 28mm and 40mm (full frame) for most of my family stuff. In addition, a decent amount of it is more wide open that the 15-85 can provide. If I were in your position (I'm assuming you're on a crop body from the 15-85 reference) I'd think about the canon 17-55/2.8, the tamron 17-50/2.8, the canon 35/2, or the sigma 30/1.4.

But, it really depends on personal preference (and the size of your backyard). For head and shoulders portraits, something in the 85mm and up range gives a very a pleasing look. Look at any of Bob Dein's posts, he probably shoots in that range and does a good job isolating his subject and producing headshots that compress features and favor the subject. At the other end of the spectrum you have a number of folks here (canerino, neighborboy, zalmyb, etc.) that shoot candid photos of their family and very commonly shoot wide angle (28-35mm on full frame) to capture more context and be able to get in close to the subject.

I'd look at whose work I like and think about the lighting situations that you will need for proper exposure.

Dave

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:30 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

I will say that for my preferences, I like up-close, wide shots. I like the intimacy and breadth that you get from shooting close and wide. It brings you into the picture rather than being an observer from far away. It's a perspective that speaks to me.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:43 AM

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

I usually use my 17-40 at the park with my kids, but I have a 135L that comes along in case I want to do portraits where I really blow the backgrounds.

I usually am right in the action with them so the wide angle is a must. i dont want to have to move back to get a shot. the other problem with shooting from a distance is that you look like a pervert

if you're on a crop body get like a 10-20mm for environmental/wide and an 85 1.8 for portraits

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:20 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

really wide angles are also great for shoving into tunnel slides and play houses and other constricted play areas. you get some cool perspectives

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:21 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

actually if you're on a crop body the samyang 8mm fisheye is fantastic for playgrounds and very good for the price. it's also not quite as fishy as a 180 degree fisheye on a full frame.

its all manual so you just set it and forget it. only lens I miss having moved to full frame...

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:31 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Wide angle or Zoom lens for candid family shots?

taylorman22 wrote:
What type of lens would you prefer if you were shooting candid shots of your kids outside in say the backyard or at a park? Would you prefer something like the Canon 15-85 or a zoom like the 70-200 f4L or maybe a 70-300? Zoom lens or more wide angle? These are the types of shots I'm doing, but I'm still learning about how different focal lengths affect the shot. For example, a 50mm shot framed the same way as one at 200mm will look different.

Also, as I've been reviewing lenses, it just seems like most shots I see from
...Show more

if you don't have one get a good telephoto zoom for candid shots, sports, etc.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password