Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

iseeq4life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

Well it just went up $100 in price to $2099 but last week (boxing week) it was at $2,000 CDN.

I thought that was an amazing price for a brand new lens with warranty from a reputable dealer, Henry's.

I don't think I have ever seen it that low, brand new. Have you?

http://www.henrys.com/858-NIKON-AF-S-70-200-F2-8-VR-II-LENS.aspx

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:00 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

Yeah, I got one for $1995 when they 1st came out (before the SHTF with the Yen)

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:05 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

$1950 to $1995 seems to be the going rate...

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02955/Nikon-AF-S-Zoom-Nikkor-70-200mm-f2.8-G-VR-II-price.html

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:30 PM
allan3089

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

Not sure where you are in Canada, but Broadway Camera has had them on for $1949 Canadian for a few weeks now.

http://www.bccamera.com/Nikon-70-200mm-f-2.8G-AF-S-IF-ED-VR-II-Nikkor.html

Al

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:52 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

regardless..... I've hardly ever paid the sticker price for anything Nikon. And Henry's is one of the worst places to buy gear.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:05 AM
m_appeal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

lxdesign wrote:
And Henry's is one of the worst places to buy gear.

Why?

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:07 AM
paul weston
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

lxdesign wrote:
regardless..... I've hardly ever paid the sticker price for anything Nikon. And Henry's is one of the worst places to buy gear.

That would be the truth.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:55 AM
iseeq4life

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

BH Photovideo still has it for $2400.

For the first time something cheaper in Canada than the US.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Red G8R
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

lxdesign wrote:

I've had the opposite experience with Henry's. I deal with the manager at my local Henry's and I always get great service and always at a better price than listed. When I want something all I have to do is give him a call. My last two bodies, the D4 and D600, I got them on the first shipment.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:51 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

iseeq4life wrote:
BH Photovideo still has it for $2400.

For the first time something cheaper in Canada than the US.

Almost all Nikon gear is cheaper in Canada, and has been for some time now.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:19 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

If you buy camera gear in Canada, you need to know this site.

http://www.photoprice.ca

Besides current-price comparison, it very clearly shows (as a graph, over time) the price history of almost all current Nikon gear.

Molson is correct. And our friends down-south are starting to realize this too.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:35 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

my 500VR was $1000 cheaper in Canada ...

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:42 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

harvey steeves wrote:
my 500VR was $1000 cheaper in Canada ...

I saved about the same amount on my 200-400 VR, plus I got a valid Nikon warranty (which you don't get buying from the USA).

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:35 PM
jurgvonschmurg

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

m_appeal wrote:
Why?

The Henry's locations I've been to (in the GTA) unabashedly hard sell you on everything on every visit. I've walked in asking to check out a specific lens/camera, and when they didn't have the desired item have persisted in asking if I'd like to try out something complete different, even after clearly explaining that I am only interested in a specific model. A visit never ends without a "shall I cash you out," even if I have come in with my body/memory card, and clearly explained that I'd like to take some test shots for review (at home in lightroom). Many of their salespeople are relatively unfamiliar with the finer (or even more significant) differences between products, yet will still try to guide you in a certain direction "as an expert." There is always a heavy "are you going to buy it or not" attitude. By the shear number of Henry's locations compared to other shops, it is clear that their business model is shifting towards mass retail. Some locations might be better than others, but I've never happened across one I've liked.

By contrast, I've found the Vistek locations I've visited (Downtown Toronto & Mississauga; the latter being my favourite even though I live downtown) to cater much more to the enthusiast. If I ask to try out a specific lens and they don't have it, they just say, "Sorry, we don't have one at the moment." If you come in with a body/memory card to try something out, they understand that you are not interested in purchasing it then and there, and give you their business card. Their staff (for the most part) are enthusiasts themselves and understand the finer points and won't try to sell you on something you're not looking for. I've even had staff suggest things like, "It sounds like you really ought to try to buy a used D700." They'll also deduct the rental fee from a new lens if you want to rent it for a weekend to try it out. I've heard Vistek can be sort of intimidating for people new to photography, but I see that as motivation to learn more before buying new gear.

Aden seems to compete solely on price. They are usually bottom dollar, but don't seem to keen to have people trying out lenses and whatnot. I've also heard they're pretty hard on any sort of returns/warranty stuff, though I don't think I have ever had to return a lens anywhere. Downtown Camera is a nice medium. It often has significantly better prices than Henry's or Vistek, and the staff I have dealt with are nice, helpful and not at all pushy. I haven't had any experience with online retailers; I like being able to physically go somewhere if there's a problem.

If the price difference is relatively small (say $50 or less on a $750 and up lens/body), I'll usually give Vistek my business. I've gotten some great deals from Downtown Camera, and would do it again. I'd buy from Aden if they had a killer price on something that I knew I wanted and wasn't going to have issues with. I'd only buy from Henry's if there were serious price/availability benefits over Downtown or Aden, which is highly unlikely.

Just my two cents; I'm sure others have had different experiences with the different stores.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:16 PM
thePond

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · $2,000 CDN New 70-200mm VRII

Vistek is fine as long as you understand you are not getting anywhere near the lowest price.

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password