Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Please pick your choice

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Please pick your choice

I have these 4 images. The debate in my house has been on concerning the best of these four:
---1--artistically.
---2--photographic technic.
---3--expression, in here is mother&child.: the tenderness.

Please feel free to critique. I hope to get a lot of you guys/girls to participate.

© nugeny 2012

Nr 1

NIKON D3    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

© nugeny 2012

nr 2

NIKON D3    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    900 ISO    0.0 EV  

© nugeny 2012

nr3

NIKON D3    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

© nugeny 2012

nr 4

NIKON D3    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #2 · Please pick your choice

I’m just shooting from the hip here because I have no experience shooting wildlife in their natural habitat.

#1, The sharp baby’s face is great with the curled up trunk and twig. Mom is out of focus and baby’s feet are cut off. Were you shooting wide open, with a fixed focal length.

#2, Its a nice mom/baby portrait with the baby's trunk just right, but again, mom is out of focus.

#3, I like this one and #4 best. Mom and baby’s feet and trunks are “natural” looking. I would suggest cloning out the yellow twig under mom’s eye, and carefully burn in a little more of mom’s tusk. Also, maybe bring up the shadow area a tad more.

#4, There looks to be an out-of-focus trig in front of baby’s face, and its trunk looks “truncated”. Also, baby’s feet are cut off ... but, mom’s expression is priceless.

If I were force to pick, it would be #4.

Just my two cents worth.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Please pick your choice

+1 @ 3 & 4.

Diggin' the symmetry of #3 and the fact that mom is shielding junior

#4 @ watchful eye (colors might use some tweaking)

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:34 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Please pick your choice

Bert DeMars wrote:
I’m just shooting from the hip here because I have no experience shooting wildlife in their natural habitat.

#1, The sharp baby’s face is great with the curled up trunk and twig. Mom is out of focus and baby’s feet are cut off. Were you shooting wide open, with a fixed focal length.

#2, Its a nice mom/baby portrait with the baby's trunk just right, but again, mom is out of focus.

#3, I like this one and #4 best. Mom and baby’s feet and trunks are “natural” looking. I would suggest cloning out the yellow twig under mom’s eye, and
...Show more

Thanks,
When I just came home and picked the winners. But then, in the last few days I revisited and discovered some new winners, in this case the new winners are Nr 3 and 4 and you noticed right away their strength, specially the nr 4 as you spot on observed: the mother's expresion!
Please compare with these winners of lions and cheetahs.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1161653/0#11079516

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #5 · Please pick your choice

Great family shots on the other thread, especially the baby elephant. Interesting fluctuation in ISOs and shutter speeds. Were you shooting wide open to drop the foreground grass.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Please pick your choice

OK Robert, Where have you been? I want to go there!
I am pretty much with the feedback above.
#3 for me Correct DOF, sharpness, separation of the trunks with a nice parallel com front/back, mother/child. Not sure if I would change anything, except perhaps dodge the baby a bit?
I love the expression in #4. It's a close second, a fine image, but does have the issues with "truncation" of the trunk and legs as mentioned.

Scott

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:48 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Please pick your choice

Bert DeMars wrote:
Great family shots on the other thread, especially the baby elephant. Interesting fluctuation in ISOs and shutter speeds. Were you shooting wide open to drop the foreground grass.

you are right. I shot as open as i could to blur the front and back grass.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:28 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Please pick your choice

sbeme wrote:
OK Robert, Where have you been? I want to go there!
I am pretty much with the feedback above.
#3 for me Correct DOF, sharpness, separation of the trunks with a nice parallel com front/back, mother/child. Not sure if I would change anything, except perhaps dodge the baby a bit?
I love the expression in #4. It's a close second, a fine image, but does have the issues with "truncation" of the trunk and legs as mentioned.

Scott

Scott,
It was the second time in ten years. The first time with Mrs and slides (provia and velvia). this time with a group of photographers, biggest lenses and all digital.
Maasai Mara, Kenya. I would go back there any time.
About the pictures. Photographically nr 3 is the winner. But I picked nr 4 to print big for the frame 20x24" for the "human"expression of the mother. It is so tender and caring. If you click on the link above you would see the lioness and cub, the mother 's expression is so exquisite. It has been my best seller in the last 3 months as soon as I came home from the trip.
Bob

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:35 PM
mikereid27

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Please pick your choice

Second one fore sure. The mother is framing the baby, the others are cute in that they are candid but I like that one the most.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:37 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Please pick your choice

mikereid27 wrote:
Second one fore sure. The mother is framing the baby, the others are cute in that they are candid but I like that one the most.

talking about framing, what about nr 3. that is really framing.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:27 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password