FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rise to the Stars

Milan Hutera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rise to the Stars

I hope everyone's having a great new year. I took this on january 1st during the trip with my friends. It's a photo I had in my mind for a while (at least 6 or 7 years, but it only came back to me 6 months ago . It was taken in a long abandoned iron-melting furnace. I also put together a few thoughts about it in a short article on my website: http://milanhutera.com/bats-furnaces-and-flashlights/

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/rise-to-the-stars.jpg
Tech: Canon 1D IV, Canon 24-70L, cable release, flashlights, 2 exposures (light painting - 4 minutes at iso 400, f8, stars - 15 seconds at iso 3200, f2,8)

I also have a photo of the entrance to the furnace. Sadly, some early visitors left the tracks in the snow, so it isn't as neat as I hoped for.
http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/entrance.jpg
Tech: Canon 1D IV, Canon 24-70L, cable release, f8, 2 minutes single exposure, 3 flashlights (it actually took 3 people to do this )

Any C&C appreciated. Thanks

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:11 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rise to the Stars

I really like these - a bit different but not just for the sake of it and give you a real sense of the cold. The footprints don't detract for me. Nice work! Lizzie

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:03 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rise to the Stars

that first is pretty trippy! at first i thought the brick was actually some spinning stars. really cant tell its brick till you see the very edge bricks.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rise to the Stars

Wonderful set. These are outstanding, love the processing on them. Nicely seen and shot. Rick

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rise to the Stars

Lizzie, Snowman and Rick - thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed my first photos of 2013. Perhaps the subject itself doesn't feel like nature, but it's set in the heart of the woods. Next time I'm there, I'll take a photo showing it in its natural surroundings.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:23 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rise to the Stars

Very creative images.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rise to the Stars

Both images are outstanding, with #1 being the strogest of the two. Nice to see something different and "fresh" for change.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:37 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rise to the Stars

Hey Milan,

Man... #1 is incredibly sweet! What a great job lighting that up too. It's very evenly lit, which I would not think was too easy. I really like it!

#2 is cool too, for me, I wish the foot prints weren't in the snow, or if there were any foot prints, it was just one set going in... that would have been cool. I have done that on a few shots before, where I had set up my camera to take some shots and the snow was untouched, and after taking some untouched shots, I walked down through the snow to create a single path, and then had to carefully walk backwards in my previous foot prints to get back out to my camera to take the shot... It was fun..

Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:25 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rise to the Stars

Amaji, Jim and Jim - thanks for your comments, glad you liked them.

Jim Fox - I acually needed only 3 attempts to light it and all were good, I just liked this one best. I used my rather powerful flashlight and my friend added his slightly more blue headlamp light. Sadly, there were several sets of tracks present (somebody probably went to see the furnace during the day) so there was nothing we could do about them

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.