FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Death Valley duo

kscott_99
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death Valley duo

I took my first trip out to the racetrack playa. I didn't leave at 2am like Fred. Didn't get the great shot that Fred got by leaving at 2am. Experienced lots of wind, dust, and waiting for people to finally clear the shot walking in front of your shot or climbing on the island rocks. With all that said, I enjoyed my time there even having not spent more than a couple of hours at the location due to the fact I didn't want to drive back in the dark. Next time I'll brave the dark and early hours.

1. seven image pano

http://kscott.smugmug.com/Landscapes/southwest-winter-2012/i-jndN4wr/0/XL/racetrack%20pano-XL.jpg

2. the only rock that seemed to have a trail. Apparently there was a rain and dust storm 2 days earlier.

http://kscott.smugmug.com/Landscapes/southwest-winter-2012/i-NfXHr9W/0/XL/leading%20the%20way-XL.jpg

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death Valley duo

I enjoyed your Racetrack photos here.
Q: How long did it take you there and with what kind of car?
And the road you took?
I am planning to be there in February primarily to visit the Racetrack.
-Kee

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:14 PM
kscott_99
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death Valley duo

rhee, I took the racetrack road from Scotty's castle road. you can also visit the volcano along the way in or out it's a spectacular sight as well. The amount of time was about 3 hrs from Furnace Creek ranch. I suppose some can make it faster. I preferred to dodge the rocks that looked like pointed missiles. I rented a Jeep Liberty, but would have preferred a Jeep wrangler or cherokee as the tires are a bit more rugged. My son and I saw several vans with doughnut tires from flats, we also saw a Ford Mustang dragging something underneath the carriage. The next time I will leave about 2am to make sure I'm not out there with the masses trying to take a few nice pics.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death Valley duo

THanks for the valuable information as to the road/direction and the rental car choice. Yup. Jeep wrangler or cherokee! I am considering of going to the Racetrack right after checking the sand dunes in the morning. So.. I can photograph sunset scene of the racetrack, night photography, then stay at a camp site perhaps car-camping, then go back to shoot the sunrise at the Racetrack... all depending to the weather condition I guess. I will check the volcano sight as well. Thanks again. -Kee

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:55 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death Valley duo

If you don't want to damage your own car, just rent one of the pink jeeps right across the street from the furnance creek inn. It's $179 a day. I took one out on my first trip to racetrack and it was fine. Driving a night is pretty creepy. I shot the racetrack at sunset and by the time i finished and starting driving back it was pitch black. Go slow and your fine. It's more of the mental thing and spooking yourself out. You start to see "eyes" in the dark. haha.

Jason

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death Valley duo

I like your #2 shot the best here. I am out traveling so I am viewing this on a smaller screen, but it looks like your were shooting at the Grandstand, not at the Racetrack proper. Which would account for the lack of rock trails. There aren't very many in the Grandstand area. The rock trails can't be blown away, and they survive the rains too. Sometimes people stop too soon when going to the Racetrack, maybe you did too?

Jim

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death Valley duo

I'm jealous of your clouds (I made it out there at sunset a few days ago). The Grandstand shot is lovely, and I'm sure it would look lovely printed large

Tim

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:45 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death Valley duo

I like the second one best.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death Valley duo

Nice take aways, and good info. in the thread. We make compromises all the time in our shooting decisions, some we regret, some work out. Lives roads, the important part is you got out onto the road and have great memories and beautiful proof to show for it. Like the shots. Rick

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.