Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Red horizontal lines on some photos, canon 5d mark II

keegan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Red horizontal lines on some photos, canon 5d mark II

Hi all. I have been using my 1 year old 5d mark 2 for time lapses and astrophotogrpahy. I have noticed in the past two months, during very cold conditions (below 40F or so) I sometime see red lines on my images. See the example below:

I haven't tested this in warmer temperatures, since I first noticed this, but none of the photos I have taken in the past have had this issue. I have done time lapses in the summer with this camera during the day with no issues. I do believe this is related to the temperature.

Has anyone seen this before? It didn't start until 1 hour in to shooting consecutive 20 second exposures. It starts off every 10 photos or so, then by the end of the second hour, it was nearing every other photo.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:38 PM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Red horizontal lines on some photos, canon 5d mark II

Just had a similar issue with a MkIV and it needed a whole new CMOS assembly.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1155008/0#11019556

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Red horizontal lines on some photos, canon 5d mark II

It could be a wonky solder connection on or from the sensor such that cold makes it contract and intermittently disconnect at crucial moments.

40 def F cold? Try below zero. You can also simulate colder conditions and get better astrophotography (absent this fault) by strapping a frozen gel-pack to the back of the camera. Go out on a coldish night and wait until the condition starts appearing. Then strap on the freezer pack and see if the condition gets worse faster.

Or strap it on first thing and see if the condition starts up sooner and develops faster.

Usually cold packs are used to reduce the heat of electronics to eliminate "amp glow" (purple glows due to accumulated infrared photons creeping in from warm electronics in long time exposures).

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password