New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · External HD crashed

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · External HD crashed

Well, my 2TB WD external HD has crashed but is still under warranty. They are shipping a box with an RMA# and then I'll get a new one. Thankfully, I have several externals so everything is backed up!!! Phew!!!

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:32 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · External HD crashed

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 10:55 AM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:53 AM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · External HD crashed

Fred moved it - thanks, Fred. My bad for putting it in the Canon forum but my brain wasn't working well this a.m. and I couldn't think where else to put it. Now it's in General Gear-Talk.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:55 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · External HD crashed

:-)

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:56 AM
durianisgood

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · External HD crashed

I have a WD 2 TB that is dying (corrupted files all over the place and sometimes the computer won't recognize it). Unfortunately, it's no longer under warranty. Fortunately, I've been paranoid about backups so nothing is lost

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · External HD crashed

durianisgood wrote:
I have a WD 2 TB that is dying (corrupted files all over the place and sometimes the computer won't recognize it). Unfortunately, it's no longer under warranty. Fortunately, I've been paranoid about backups so nothing is lost

this is the reason you buy a good HD and place it in a good case. warranty is generally longer and you can swap out as you needs arise within the limits of the case.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:32 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · External HD crashed

sjms wrote:
this is the reason you buy a good HD and place it in a good case. warranty is generally longer and you can swap out as you needs arise within the limits of the case.

sjms, recommend a good case. Been looking at these and a little confused with the choices.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · External HD crashed

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347025

open system type: i have something similar that goes into my box ad is a direct connect to sata on the board. I have no issue using these. I currently have a 1TB drive for BU sitting in the slot for 2 years now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%2050011449&IsNodeId=1&name=Aluratek

just remember, buy cheap you get cheap.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:43 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · External HD crashed

sjms wrote:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347025

open system type: i have something similar that goes into my box ad is a direct connect to sata on the board. I have no issue using these. I currently have a 1TB drive for BU sitting in the slot for 2 years now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%2050011449&IsNodeId=1&name=Aluratek

just remember, buy cheap you get cheap.

As always thank you. That drive duplicator looks good

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:28 AM
durianisgood

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · External HD crashed

I didn't realize that cases like that were available. In any case, the drives were only used for vacation storage but ended up being incredibly bulky to pack, so in the future I'll probably figure out a more compact solution. At home I have a backup system that assumes hard drives will fail.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · External HD crashed

I use 2.5 drives and they are quite compact. see the OWC Express cases at about $26 for USB3 and just drop in a drive format and run.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · External HD crashed

The noisy spiky levels from low quality PSUs more often found in the cheaper drive cabinets will kill a drive faster than the better ones.

For external rotational media I would want to use Enterprise class drives - especially for photographers where data loss can affect your income and reputation. The 2.5" Seagate hybrid drives of 500GB at about $100ea. seem nice and safer.

USB 3.0 is nice and fast but I wouldn't use it too often myself where the data is meaningful at all. The connectors are noisy and either spikes or accidental disconnects could spell big trouble for the volume. Also I would recommend keeping a pretty close eye on your S.M.A.R.T. loggings and S.M.A.R.T. isn't supported over USB or Firewire - at least on a Mac (haven't tried on Win or Linux yet but I assume the same). If you can, try and select a drive cabinet which also has a eSATA connection. Even if you can't use that connection with all of your devices you can occasionally connect it to a machine that does and check the S.M.A.R.T. data. That will very often let you know when there is trouble ahead - before anything catastrophic happens - usually giving you months of advance notice to replace the failing part.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · External HD crashed

13 reallocated?

End is near.. (but it depends how much it has spare).

Well, dont worry, continue buying cheap WDs. I will pass..

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · External HD crashed

Well in this case the Hitachi drive has been in actual use powered ON, for 21,897 hours or the equivalent of 912.375 days when that screen shot was taken a few hours ago. So it's paid for itself and held up pretty well. It's part of a RAID0 stripe tho so I'll need to replace it pretty soon I guess.

WD makes a good server class drive I hear but their desktop drives are pretty weak - I agree! Samsung is worse tho!

The accumulated data on IBM drives showed their DT class units to be very good. And this followed for a bit longer after Hitachi bought that department. I don't know how Hitachi is doing currently. Seagate's Barracuda line currently sits statistically at the top of the reliability heap I've read.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · External HD crashed

Today everything for "regular" customer su*k pretty much same. I missed it was Hitachi. Its some server edition? Quite impressive for 3 years.

Hitachi was bought by WD and Samsung by Seagate (just HDD part). Recently I dealed with Hitachi - WD drives in netbooks, terrible pieces. Its most likely some WD Blue variant or what, dies like flies..

Cant speak which ones are most reliable but so far best experience was Seagate Constellation ES. Bit expensive, but fast and it seems quite reliable. And as coincidence my longest surviving HDD was 10 years old Seagate.

Tho regular Barracudas.. not much. Particulary one series (I think 7200.11 and early 7200.12) was quite crappy.

Yea and I have IBM branded highspeed Seagate. Seems pretty good too, just bit noisy and hot. (10k variant)

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · External HD crashed

Wow! So it went: IBM --> Hitachi --> Western Digital? I didn't know about that last change-over there. Heh! Dang! Makes it hard to know now who's tech is in which models.

About when did Seagate buy the Samsung drive biz? Great, now I'm going to have to start being weary of Seagate drives. Samsung drives were the total pits - both their green and their normal DT class units. Performance wasn't bad but just watch the block errors start piling up immediately after installation. Garrr. They're the only brand I've seen do like that too. One of my (very part time) jobs is to maintain VOD for a company over several sites so I get to see a nice variety of drive models and see how they perform etc.

I've never had interest or opportunity to check out the 2.5" scene so I dunno anything there. Only that the new Seagate SSHD tech is specing very high and is affordable. I would imagine they are vastly more reliable too as I think most of the trouble in the 2.5" world comes from getting jostled during R/W ops. If the SSD part of them acts as a huge buffer and only offloads occasionally that will narrow the {time | distribution} of R/W ops so the chances of bumps and vibrations happening during such would be (should be) cut by several orders of magnitude.

Oh, the specs for the failing IBM/Hitachi are HERE on page 2. It's just a DT class drive but I was told by some Reps that these were good (at the time) in low power VOD arrays. And they were too. Keep in mind that's 3 years of up-time. Pretty much ever drive in the case did well.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · External HD crashed

Samsung HDD part was bought by Seagate December 2011. Samsung wasnt doing exactly great and Seagate wanted mainly SSD part of business for their own hybrids and SSD. So probably no need to worry about regular HDDs.

How those hybrids work in real life, no idea.. never saw even one. My system consists of SSD for OS and regular HDDs for data. Tho as you said, in theory that SSHD tech could work really good in 2.5" portables. But it will probably end as just temporary (1-3 years) solution, until SSDs will be big enough and whats most important, cheap enough.

3 years of uptime is certainly a lot. And when its in server use then its usually really working, not like in my PC where its nearly 24/7 powered on, but doing pretty much nothing most of the time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · External HD crashed

I use the momentus XT hybrids in my main and laptop as boot drives. quick (though not as an SSD) and reliable so far. less pricey. have experienced less then satisfactory results with SSDs but they are getting more reliable. the "wear factor" is of concern but maybe overstated. when a 512GB falls below $200 i'll give it a serious go. I do have a 256GB to play with for now.

my laptop is mSATA drive capable too.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · External HD crashed

Well, They have been selling for right around or under $150 for awhile now and just very recently they've come down to around $75. The newer 750gb SSHD drives are out and they're hitting at around $120 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Solid-Hybrid-ST95005620AS/dp/B003NSBF32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358041202&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+512gb+sshd

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST750LX003/dp/B00691WMJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358043383&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+750gb+sshd

So whip out the wallet bro!

I wanna get like 8 of them and put them in a RAID0 array.
Of course going for the record would be hard now

but 8 of them is doable on my bus and prolly fast enopugh.

I guess the laptop market is to blame for the better (falling) prices. I recently when down and purchased a Dell XPS 12 (Flip Tablet/Notebook) and there was not a single laptop in the entire mega-store that didn't come standard with one of Seagate's SSHD drives.

Oh, and if you wanna know basically HOW they work you can put it together from this: http://www.epageflip.net/t/26941/5 32 page e-doc though you'll have to skip through a lot of marketing blurbs to get there - but it is there.

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · External HD crashed

maybe you didn't read my first line. please review. that is exactly the Hybrid drives I have been using. you will note the similar name that I used as in "Momentus XT".
(2) 750 and (1) 500. the 500 is a first gen and runs a little warm. currently using as a external drive. been working them for a few years now.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.