Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dell U2713H?

M Halder

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Dell U2713H?

I am in the market to update my monitor and this looks promising. Its only been out for a month so I havent been able to find much in the way of user feedback/reviews. Just curious if anyone here has put eyes on this monitor

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:28 AM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #2 · Dell U2713H?

Haven't found any reviews either, but I see Dell just discounted it until the 9th. Looking forward to some reviews. Apparently we'll see the 30" version of the same specs in March.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:06 AM
acktdi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Dell U2713H?

Costco had it for 650$, tax not included. The monitor is highly rated on tech site http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:56 PM
beavens
• •
p.1 #4 · Dell U2713H?

I was going look here as well and see how the color performance was for this monitor.

Just picked up a lens recently, so not sure if this is in the budget.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:41 PM
durianisgood

p.1 #5 · Dell U2713H?

Another good U2713HM review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm
Thread discussing U2713HM: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23479482#post23479482

Dell has free return shipping and no restocking fee, although apparently only for a limited time, so it doesn't hurt to try a U2713H while it is discounted to $850. I returned a U2412M to Dell for free and without hassle.

I've been looking for a replacement as well for my 2405FPW, which now has severe image retention and backlight issues that make photo editing a bit painful (sometimes I can't tell if the sky has actual clouds, or it's my monitor). I bought 2 U2412M monitors last month and returned them, then bought two U2713HM monitors which I have now, and have two U2713H monitors arriving this Thursday. No, I do not intend to keep all of them.

First my background: I'm an amateur photographer who occasionally does prints, but I'm probably nowhere near as attuned to colors as some of the people on this forum. I do a lot of software development, however, and stare at text for most of my day.

Overall the U2713HM monitors are great. The image quality looks excellent and the 2560x1440 resolution is amazing for photo editing and software development. On a black screen I notice some uneven backlighting that manifests itself as a yellowish tint in the lower-left quadrant. There's a picture on the overclockers thread that depicts the problem, although it's not as bad for me and in practice not an issue since most of the time I'm staring at content instead of a black screen. After calibration with my Spyder3 Pro I was able to produce prints on my Canon Pro9000 Mark II that pretty much matched the screen. That is good enough for me.

What bothers me more is an uneven "glow" that is apparently common with IPS displays. If the screen is entirely black, the "shininess" of the black depends on how I position my head relative to the monitor. I don't recall my 2405FPW having this problem, but I saw it on both the U2412M monitors I returned, as well as the two U2412M monitors I have at work. It took a while to get used to but now it doesn't bother me as much, plus it's only really obvious in a completely dark room.

So why am I thinking of returning my U2713HM monitors? By far the biggest problemm I have is this buzzing sound that consistently manifests itself on text-heavy pages. This happens with both U2713HM monitors that I have, and is commonly reported by others. I see it most often with Wikipedia, but have experienced it on other sites as well as during coding. The easiest way to repro is to open Notepad and fill it with #######.

I don't need wide-gamut support, and given the amount of non-photographic work I do I'd actually rather have a cheaper non-wide gamut monitor like the U2713HM. But the buzzing sound is a killer, so I'm going to give the U2713H monitors a try. If they buzz as well then I'll probably go back to dual U2412M monitors until Dell can release non-buzzing 27" monitors, or maybe I'll go with another manufacturer.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M Halder

p.1 #6 · Dell U2713H?

I pulled the trigger on the new monitor ... Thanks again for the feedback. I think it's going to be a strong upgrade from my old 2407.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:03 PM
durianisgood

p.1 #7 · Dell U2713H?

My U2713H monitors arrived today. First quick impression: I hate that the buttons are now touch buttons. They're unresponsive half the time. It also buzzes as loud as my U2713HM when I fill Notepad with ####.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:15 AM
efgm

p.1 #8 · Dell U2713H?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm

TFT central review for the U2713H. Don't confuse it with the lesser specced model U2713HM. Poor naming by Dell.

Straight out of the box it doesn't look like a significant performance upgrade from the U2711, but now theres hardware calibration and USB 3.0.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:33 AM
durianisgood

p.1 #9 · Dell U2713H?

Thanks for that link. I decided to return the U2713H and keep my U2713HM monitors due to the buzzing. The U2713HM buzzes at the same level, but since I don't need wide gamut support I can save some money sticking with that.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:20 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Dell U2713H?

For those who have the U2713H (not U2713HM) how do you like it? Which revision are you on right now?

Does your unit emit a buzzing sound? Can you use a 3rd party hardware calibrator like a Spyder3Pro on it?

If you came from a U2711 how does it compare? I am interested with the U2713H's ability to pivot and USB 3.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password