Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Perhaps a 6D owner can help with this question. Some Canon dSLRs like the 5D Mark II will take a long exposure and then allow you to immediately open the shutter again, even with Long Exposure Noise Reduction (LENR) turned on. After your next shot is done, the LENR will run.

I do a lot of long exposure work and I'm considering the addition of a 6D to my arsenal. Can someone confirm whether this camera buffers LENR?

To test: Turn Long Exposure Noise Reduction to ON. Take a 10-15 second shot. The noise reduction will run at the end of the shot. Hit the shutter again during this time and see if the camera is locked, or will shoot again.

Thanks!!!

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 01:12 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

5d2 doesnt do this does it?

LENR requires a same length exposure for dark field subtraction, thats how it works...

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Yes, LENR takes the same amount of time to run as the original exposure.

But -- you can open the shutter again on the 5D2 and 5D, and the camera will buffer the LENR until the next exposure is done.

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Luta13
• •
p.1 #4 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

I shot some long exposures today on the 6D and noticed no wait. Used to piss me off with my NEX-7 shooting at night. I did not have my LENR on though. I have done a bunch of long exposure stuff over last few weeks and haven't noticed any need to have it on. Files are clean and can be polished in post without LENR.

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 04:48 AM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Luta13
• •
p.1 #5 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Here is a long exposure day shot from today...

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Luta13
• •
p.1 #6 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

and a night shot....

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:47 AM
Mashuto

p.1 #7 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Mr Joe, yes I believe it does buffer them, I just took a couple 30 second test photos with LENR on, and although the camera didn't give any direct indication of what it was doing, it did allow me to shoot again before 30 seconds then appeared to resume the LENR afterwards.

I am not super familiar with LENR though as I was always concerned about that on my older cameras plus I guess I was never sure it worked with raw... Best to leave on auto?

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:12 AM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #8 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

5D2 does have its limits though. I've had it lock up after just 3 or 4 shots. Have to wait for the buffer to clear. I don't exactly know what its limits are but they are there. Can't help with a 6D though, sorry.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Does the 6D buffer long exposure noise reduction?

Mashuto - Thanks for the info!

BennyR - You are correct that the buffer fills up eventually - it's a slippery slope.

I typically leave LENR set to Auto unless I'm shooting long exposures when it's warm out - then it definitely needs to be set to On. I'm talking about 5-8 minute long night shots with temperatures above 65-70 degrees.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password