New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Would say this is Fair?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would say this is Fair?

I have a Canon 70-200 f/4 non IS and I've been looking to upgrade. I contacted someone with a 70-200 f/2.8 non IS on craigslist listed for $850. I offered him a trade for my lens and $300 cash. He said maybe and a day later he txted me back saying no. He said that because he did "research" and said that his lens sells for >$1000 and I would be lucky to get $500. He also said it wasn't worth it since mine is $700 new and his is $1400 new. To that I said I'm looking at the used value and that is a fair deal. I told him I could probably get $550 If I wanted to and that he had his lens listed for $850 not $1000 so it wasn't even a valid argument in my eyes. He just kept saying no and that I was trying to rip him off. This seems like a fair trade to me, Is there something I'm missing. I have mine in flawless condition with only scuffs on the hood. I even have the original box!

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:22 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would say this is Fair?

I would t waste more time with this person. Why do you want to upgrade? The 70-200 f4 is one of the sharpest lenses ever made and can be shot wide open with little concern. IMHO the 70-200 f2.8 would be at best a sidewards step as its not terribly sharp wide open and you'd find yourself stopping down to f4.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:32 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would say this is Fair?

If he doesn't want to do the deal then move on. As far as values unless his lens is in poor condition it does indeed sell at $975 to $1200 while yours is available in plentiful quantities in excellent condition at your asking price. He obviously valued his lens for a quick cash sale and not a trade, I personally would not do the deal either at those numbers. Move on or increase your cash/trade offer.

Dave

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would say this is Fair?

Well..., current average selling prices for these two lenses on eBay are:

70-200/4L
$468 [E to E+]
$538 [M- to LN]

70-200/2.8L
$904 [E to E+]
$1039 [M- to LN]

Average difference, $485

P.S. if somebody " just kept saying no", then it's time to walk away.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:44 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would say this is Fair?

Just to clarify, I tried to convince him for a little bit then I did give up. I would like the f/2.8 version because of it's better low light capability, with the f/4 I find myself pushing the ISO to 5000 to get a decent shot at 1/500(For sports). On my 7D it gets really noisy, so I put the ISO reduction on but that's not ideal for sports as I can only get 4 shots off before lag.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:48 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would say this is Fair?

jcolwell is dead on. Normally around a $450 difference between the two. Can't blame the seller...he did some research and wanted a fair deal on the trade. Put your lens up for sale and purchase a like new 2.8...you might be able to find desperate to unload a 2.8 and another individual desperate in the opposite direction.

2.8 not sharp...sideways trade...need to stop down...? I guess I've been using mine the wrong way over the past 8 years

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:00 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would say this is Fair?

If I were trying to get rid of a lens, I certainly wouldn't trade for one I didn't want unless it was very much to my advantage. In my mind, you should offer him the price difference plus a little more to compensate for his time of selling an extra lens (and you not having to work to sell yours).

Also, the 2.8 non-IS is pretty dang good at 2.8. Not sure where these rumors started that it's not.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would say this is Fair?

leftymgp wrote:
...Also, the 2.8 non-IS is pretty dang good at 2.8. Not sure where these rumors started that it's not.

It might be in this thread. Maybe the OP is thinking about the IS Mk I.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:10 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would say this is Fair?

gome1122 wrote:
Just to clarify, I tried to convince him for a little bit then I did give up. I would like the f/2.8 version because of it's better low light capability, with the f/4 I find myself pushing the ISO to 5000 to get a decent shot at 1/500(For sports). On my 7D it gets really noisy, so I put the ISO reduction on but that's not ideal for sports as I can only get 4 shots off before lag.

That's a good example of where the difference between f/4 and f/2.8 can be the difference between getting the shot or going home.

What sports are you shooting? If ice hockey, I saw you replied to that series of ice hockey shots on the sports thread - the 7D is capable of ISO4000 shots like that - mine is. If you are really noisy at ISO5000, you may still be underexposed. Properly exposed they should be useable.

If you're shooting basketball, I would recommend an 85mm f/1.8. Much cheaper than the 70-200, over a stop faster, and should be fine for action at one end if you can station yourself along the baseline or on the corner.

If you set your in-camera noise reduction to Standard instead of Strong, you'll get your buffer back. Use a separate NR software after capture if you need it. That's what I used to do shooting jpg.

But now I shoot ice hockey in RAW. I get much better colors, and process batches of RAW files with ACR noise reduction (Luminance at 40, Color at 80). Pretty happy with the results.

Mark

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:41 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would say this is Fair?

The seller you contacted considered, then refused your offer and your counteroffer was to repeat the same proposal (though with added rationalization)? He/she/it (we are talking Craigslist, here) surely felt needled. I would.

"No" can infer a few things, like "offer me more" or "lower your price" or "I don't want to trade anything" or even "I'd consider a trade but certainly not for *that* but I"m too polite to say so" but I have yet to see "no" mean "offer me the same thing again, but dicker with me some more".

I say this to help you save time. If something is perceived as a fair value, you will get some responses.

If priced what is considered inappropriately, you will either get ignored or denied. Appropriate versus inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder.

And like Lefty says - they might just really want to sell the thing [get cash, then go buy some Rémy Martin, cocaine and watch their stash of blue movies] You never know...

Jim tracks the overall market well and his data is factual. Your region of NY might be different, but probably not that different.

Good luck to you, in any respect. Keep mining, you'll find something eventually. It's Craigslist!

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would say this is Fair?

My lens drawers have socks in them.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:53 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would say this is Fair?

Touché on the juxtaposition

I now just throw clean shirts over my morass of stuff, on the couch, the nightstand, the dresser. Damned adaptability of the EOS system!!!

jcolwell wrote:
My lens drawers have socks in them.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would say this is Fair?

jcolwell wrote:
P.S. if somebody " just kept saying no", then it's time to walk away.

Exactly, let it go.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:56 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would say this is Fair?

I've shot both lenses, and the 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS is absolutely sharp wide open. It's a fair bit sharper than the first IS generation and not too far behind the 2nd IS version.

As far as the deal, sell yours and then use cash to shop around. You probably won't get 550 for yours...but it's worth a try. You'll always be able to get a better deal with cash.

robbymack wrote:
I would t waste more time with this person. Why do you want to upgrade? The 70-200 f4 is one of the sharpest lenses ever made and can be shot wide open with little concern. IMHO the 70-200 f2.8 would be at best a sidewards step as its not terribly sharp wide open and you'd find yourself stopping down to f4.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would say this is Fair?

jasonpatrick wrote:
I've shot both lenses, and the 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS is absolutely sharp wide open. It's a fair bit sharper than the first IS generation and not too far behind the 2nd IS version.

As far as the deal, sell yours and then use cash to shop around. You probably won't get 550 for yours...but it's worth a try. You'll always be able to get a better deal with cash.

I've been chewing myself up over this because currently the non-IS is half the price of the IS II and trying to judge via the Internet is so difficult, as is asking to borrow lenses from a shop to properly test them.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:32 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would say this is Fair?

I am most likely going to return the mkII IS version because it doesn't seem as good as everyone
raves about. My non-IS is very good, especially at less than half the cost.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would say this is Fair?

trumpet_guy wrote:
I am most likely going to return the mkII IS version because it doesn't seem as good as everyone
raves about. My non-IS is very good, especially at less than half the cost.

Maybe you should get it "tuned up".

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:40 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would say this is Fair?

Thought of that, but would rather bail out or get an exchange.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.