Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Chris Geiger
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I purchased a pair of 5DIII's in March of 2012. I shot 35 weddings along with other shoots with the pair last year. I have very few marks on the bodies. I think the damage to your bodies is a result of how you are handling and carrying your camera's. I've see many a photographers that use straps and have their camera's just dangle, free to knock into each other as they move and walk.

Personally I have been using the spider mounting hardware on a thinktank belt system. Both of my bodies are still in good condition with few scratches. I used to use rapid straps, but switched to the spider system a couple of years ago.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:04 PM
joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Chris Geiger wrote:
I purchased a pair of 5DIII's in March of 2012. I shot 35 weddings along with other shoots with the pair last year. I have very few marks on the bodies. I think the damage to your bodies is a result of how you are handling and carrying your camera's. I've see many a photographers that use straps and have their camera's just dangle, free to knock into each other as they move and walk.

*sigh*

For the fourth or fifth time...I have been handling my cameras the exact same way at weddings for around 8 years. This is the ONLY camera I have that does not look virtually brand new. They all have been treated the exact same. Well, that is not exactly true...the 5d3 in question has never been taken to Europe or on any extensive travel holiday...unlike most of my other cameras.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:08 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Joel,

Here's something that hasn't been suggested that you might want to look into, though I do suggest you contact CPS regardless...

Yeah so I'm thinking that maybe you should think about how you are handling and carrying your camera. You're probably one of those photographers who uses straps and you dongle and knock into ... shit I can're read the rest.

The good news is that the camera is so screwed up that in a few years you can pass it on to junior without worrying that s/he will scratch it up!

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:26 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

UPDATE:

I finally got around to sending my worn down 5d3 into Canon for repair. I shipped it just before we left the country for our vacation (about 10 days ago), and i just received email confirmation that they are repairing the camera at no charge under warranty. I had included a detailed letter going over the info that I posted at various times in this thread. On the confirmation sheet, they list "paint wearing off" as the defect. I will not know what all they do to it before they send it back, but those of you in a similar situation, you should act before your warranty expires.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:39 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
UPDATE:

I finally got around to sending my worn down 5d3 into Canon for repair. I shipped it just before we left the country for our vacation (about 10 days ago), and i just received email confirmation that they are repairing the camera at no charge under warranty. I had included a detailed letter going over the info that I posted at various times in this thread. On the confirmation sheet, they list "paint wearing off" as the defect. I will not know what all they do to it before they send it back, but those of you in a similar
...Show more

RIGHT ON! I betcha they just send you a new one.

Keith

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:11 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
UPDATE:

I finally got around to sending my worn down 5d3 into Canon for repair. I shipped it just before we left the country for our vacation (about 10 days ago), and i just received email confirmation that they are repairing the camera at no charge under warranty. I had included a detailed letter going over the info that I posted at various times in this thread. On the confirmation sheet, they list "paint wearing off" as the defect. I will not know what all they do to it before they send it back, but those of you in a similar
...Show more

Very interested to see how they handle this.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:06 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

My guess is they knew about this. I'd bet there was a bad batch of paint somewhere along the line. It's not like Canon actually makes its own paint. Probably a bad batch from the supplier. I just picked up a second 5D3 body in mint condition....I gaffer taped the crap out of it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rmric0
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Is it just a finish paint or will rust devour everything from the inside if the shiny parts are left exposed?

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:52 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

rmric0 wrote:
Is it just a finish paint or will rust devour everything from the inside if the shiny parts are left exposed?

I would not expect it to rust with the finish worn off.

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:09 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

rmric0 wrote:

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Bah... The mode dial face (A, AV, M...) just came off.

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:10 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Robin Usagani wrote:
Bah... The mode dial face (A, AV, M...) just came off.

DAMN! That sucks.

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:26 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Just got the camera returned to me. They did not send me a new camera (darn), but they did replace every part of the shell that had any wear damage (which was pretty much everything except for the rubbery bits). So, apart from a few rubbery sections that have a bit of gaff tape residue, the thing looks brand new. Thank you, Canon

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:38 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password