Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Admit it!

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:28 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Ha! I knew it was a strap. Black Rapid straps have stripped a lot of paint over the years. It's why I don't use them anymore. Another possibility to the wear pattern is that you may have more stuff on your person now and that can cause a lot of wear from just stuff clanking around. The 5D3 is also much thinner in terms of material than you may think. CPS returned my 5D3 after I had a slight run in with a bad tripod. I had some of the wear marks from the tumble. The entire exterior of the 5D3 is quite thin and the paint can get scratched decently easily. Overall, the 5D3 is a much more delicate camera compared to the 5D2. Oh and just so people know, don't ding the camera near the battery door.

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:05 AM
joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Eh....maybe. I have used BRS with our 5DII, and there is none of the same type of wear.

I am convinced that there is something wrong with mine now after hearing how many of yours are still in perfect condition. I had assumed until a few weeks ago that this was normal...just now realizing that is not the case.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:45 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

What's your serial #? Wonder if it's only a few hundred or so that have this problem.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:43 AM
klee.007
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Have you contacted CPS yet? Mine don't have nearly has much wear as you do but I use a grip on both bodies.

Keith

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:50 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

klee.007 wrote:
Have you contacted CPS yet? Mine don't have nearly has much wear as you do but I use a grip on both bodies.

Keith

No, still have not...I am going to try and get around to it this week.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Definitely seems like they goofed on the paint. I would think that if there were a batch of these and enough people complained they would recall them or do something

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:30 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I have two 5DIII bodies which are getting excessive finish wear around the base of the camera, similar to what you have shown.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I'm late to the party. That's incredible damage.
So much for BR straps.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:40 AM
escandon23

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

that camera has character! I am so scared mine will do that now : (

keep us posted if you call them or send it in?

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Tom Dix wrote:
I'm late to the party. That's incredible damage.
So much for BR straps.

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the strap. I have a 5d2 on a BRS, and it does not have any wear like this.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:43 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the strap. I have a 5d2 on a BRS, and it does not have any wear like this.

When did you get your 5DmkIII? care to post serial number? I'm thinking that perhaps a run of them got bad paint and are therefore showing this excessive wear. Neither of mine look like this and they're on straps and sliding in and out of a thinktank bag all the time.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Crazy! Put my 5D3 through the ringer this season and there is not a mark on it, no tape or anything... And I treat my camera gear about how I treat my hammer and screwdriver!

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:12 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Crazy! Put my 5D3 through the ringer this season and there is not a mark on it, no tape or anything... And I treat my camera gear about how I treat my hammer and screwdriver!

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:12 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

RichardLavigne wrote:
When did you get your 5DmkIII? care to post serial number? I'm thinking that perhaps a run of them got bad paint and are therefore showing this excessive wear. Neither of mine look like this and they're on straps and sliding in and out of a thinktank bag all the time.

Got it right at release...had it in my hands the day before the technical release date. serial code is 022031003XXX

I am too thinking that is what happened. The issue seems very isolated, but those who have the issue REALLY have the issue.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 05:41 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:30 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Mine is slightly earlier....022021000XXX.

As I mentioned earlier, it's been taped from Day 1 so there's not much wear. The parts that aren't taped do show some paint loss but it's minor. Given how much I use the camera there really shouldn't be any.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:22 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Woah this is crazy. Your camera will have no resale or very less resale value for that matter.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I think, this is depends on the bag you're using(?) marks looks like from sliding the body against some other hard surface(?) What bag do you use?

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:00 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

CMB Photo wrote:
I think, this is depends on the bag you're using(?) marks looks like from sliding the body against some other hard surface(?) What bag do you use?

Thinktank suitcase. And it occasionally goes into a crumpler bag.

One thing I should mention now...I have no doubts at all that this is an issue of a bad batch or something like that. I bought a second 5D3 just before the new year. I have used it in a wedding, 6 or so sessions, and taken it on two trips. It does not show a single bit of damage or wear. My first 5D3 showed such clear signs of wear so early on that I taped it up so much after the first time really using it. So, it is not my clothes, bag, strap, way I am using it, etc...the second camera has had the exact same type of use and storage, and it is spotless.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:26 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

well, that explains the mystery then.. i wish canon replaces the body/frame whatever and admits defective process. Please post updates on their resolution to this issue.
(It's like you bought a nice car, drove it for three month, and then the paint started to piling off form the roof)...

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:38 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password