Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Sarah Dickerso
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

With my 5D2, I figured it was an issue with the jeans I shot in a lot (not at weddings, but at portrait sessions). My camera seemed to hit right where the metal buttons were on the pockets, etc. I also don't use a battery grip. So with the 5D3 I did an experiment and adjusted the shoulder strap REALLY high so it couldn't hit anything, and carried my bag on my other shoulder, always. Maybe I got careless later in the season, but it really looks beaten up. Yet the screen, which has no protective cover over it, is pristine with no scratches.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

LivLif wrote:
WOW! That's pretty insane! Only downside is resale value drops to nothing when cameras look like that.

exactly...that's the only reason why I care.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
exactly...that's the only reason why I care.

I know exactly how you feel. I returned a Black Rapid because it started scuffing the bottom of my D3S.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:13 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Black marker does wonders for refinishing dark colored objects.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:14 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

LivLif wrote:
I know exactly how you feel. I returned a Black Rapid because it started scuffing the bottom of my D3S.

Actually, the BRS was the first thing that caused wear on the camera that I noticed (after the very first time shooting with it), and this is what led to putting tape all on the bottom

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Yep. I sold my 5D2 for a ridiculously cheap price because it was so cosmetically ugly. Joel, I'm glad you mentioned the BRS causing wear, because I was about to purchase one to try in hopes it would help. Guess not.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

just keep at it then resell it as a unique silver body model.

Thats pretty bloody bad though, tried warranty?

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:51 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

M Lucca wrote:
Black marker does wonders for refinishing dark colored objects.

Makes resell value even worse.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:50 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
Actually, the BRS was the first thing that caused wear on the camera that I noticed (after the very first time shooting with it), and this is what led to putting tape all on the bottom

Yeah. I gave up on it after a couple hours shooting with one. Back to using a TT Lens Changer and a standard strap.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I shot 32 weddings this year with my 5DIII. Still looks brand new. No taping, no nothing.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LivLif
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Inku Yo wrote:
I shot 32 weddings this year with my 5DIII. Still looks brand new. No taping, no nothing.

Thats because your Inku.

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:11 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I shot 26 with mine (I have 2, so the wear gets split), but they still look nearly new. I didn't gaff tape them. And I
really don't baby them. Weird.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:18 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

That's insane.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:23 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

jprezant wrote:
I shot 26 with mine (I have 2, so the wear gets split), but they still look nearly new. I didn't gaff tape them. And I
really don't baby them. Weird.

Have you tried the Sof test?

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

What's that?

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:10 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

That's a LOT of wear on the 5D3. Looks like the 5D3 was dragged in several places. Normally wear happens around the doors, the shutter, and the grips first. Was any protective gear used? I've only seen wear like that on a body in 6 months if there was virtually nothing to carry the camera except for a body strap. I use a SpiderPro and mine hardly sees scrapes like the wear that was shown.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:04 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

holy crap... ours look nothing like that and we've had them since release day. Ours still look like new... and we've never taped.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Joel, not calling you a liar, but that's just a crazy amount of wear. Are your clothes made out of steel wool?

Do you use straps? Rapid straps or a holster type thing? Or even a plain old camera strap? Anything where the camera hangs or dangles? How is it rubbing against your clothes?

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:45 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Inku Yo wrote:
Joel, not calling you a liar, but that's just a crazy amount of wear. Are your clothes made out of steel wool?

Do you use straps? Rapid straps or a holster type thing? Or even a plain old camera strap? Anything where the camera hangs or dangles? How is it rubbing against your clothes?

Only wear steel clothes on my days off or when reenacting medieval battles. Ok, not really. I am usually wearing either sweaters or a button up cotton shirt. I do not wear any kind of harsh fabrics whatsoever.

The camera is on a black rapid strap 95% of the time. The other 5% it's on a tripod. So, yes it does dangle and rest against my side, but so has every other camera I have ever used. I have always slung cameras across me rather than around my neck. As I said, I have had a 5D II for years...even bought it used. It has been used in probably nat at least 80 weddings, and there is NO wear on it similar to this The only marks on it are a few dings that were clearly from being bumped or scratched

I have researched via Google, and apparently there are a number of people who have had similar issues (such as Sarah posted earlier in this thread). But, it seems to be very isolated...which leads me to believe there was a batch that got a bad paint job or something. Here is a photo that someone posted that is having similar issues...and this was when the camera was only 5 months old:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9936.0;attach=24670;image

I am convinced that had I not taped the thing to hell and back after the first time using it, I would be in the exact same (or likely worse) situation.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner wrote:
Only wear steel clothes on my days off or when reenacting medieval battles. Ok, not really. I am usually wearing either sweaters or a button up cotton shirt. I do not wear any kind of harsh fabrics whatsoever.

The camera is on a black rapid strap 95% of the time. The other 5% it's on a tripod. So, yes it does dangle and rest against my side, but so has every other camera I have ever used. I have always slung cameras across me rather than around my neck. As I said, I have had a 5D II for years...even bought
...Show more

Yeah, has to be a bad batch. Either that or the chain mail shirts you wear.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:23 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password