Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Posted this on the gear forum...since many here do not wander much, thought I would post it here since most of our cameras see VERY heavy use. Wondering who has had the same issue.

I did a search but did not come up with anything.

I have experienced a massive amount of wear on my 5D3. The thing looks ancient now from all of the finish wearing on it. Even though we used it in 32 weddings last year, I have never had a camera that shows this amount of wear. Heck, all of the other digital cameras I have ever owned (10d, 20d, 40d, 5d, 5dII) never showed 10% of this amount of wear. My 5DII has been used in probably over 100 weddings, and it still looks almost new.

I did start putting gaff tape all over the thing to protect it more, and where I did, it is fine. Where I did not, though...that's another story.

My question is...is this something that would be covered under warranty? If so, what would they do about it?

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Pics?

- trr

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:30 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

can you post a photo joel? i gaffered the hell out of mine since wedding #2 with it when i got a small scuff.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:30 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Body wear = you are using the camera as a tool. Which might also means... you are busy in your business.

You should watch this dude's reference 5d2 @ the 8:20 mark.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">5d3 vs d800 video

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:36 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

The pictures do not really do it justice. Keep in mind. I have had tape covering most of the camera since it was less than 1-month old.

http://www.conner-photography.com/images/5d3wear.jpg

(guest starring the amazing sigma 35mm 1.4 in a background supporting role )

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

wtf that's crazy. That thing belongs in a museum. What were you doing to cause this? I can't imagine this is just from handholding.

My first 5D3 should be arriving today, so this is a good heads up. By the way, thanks for the helpful red circles hahaha, wouldn't know where to look without them.
-Lincoln

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:25 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

That looks bad. I have a couple of d3 bodies that were cameras at the Olympics, and then went through about 4 seasons of travel weddings. We're not easy on our gear and none of our cameras look that bad. I'd bring it up with CPS, not that I'd expect a remedy but it is worth a shot.

- trr

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

I taped mine BEFORE I even charged the batteries. Just by the look and feel of the finish I could tell right away that it wasn't going to hold up very well.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:30 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Bartlett Pair wrote:
wtf that's crazy. That thing belongs in a museum. What were you doing to cause this? I can't imagine this is just from handholding.

My first 5D3 should be arriving today, so this is a good heads up. By the way, thanks for the helpful red circles hahaha, wouldn't know where to look without them.
-Lincoln

Yes...handholding. Pay special attention to the area by the lock switch. I can attest that the wear there is 100% from rubbing against my hand/clothes. The only area that has anything to do with bumping/setting down is the area on the front left bottom (by where the battery goes in)

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

That's awful. I used my 5D3 in 14 weddings last year and I don't think it has a single scuff. I taped it after about 5 weddings

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Wow... that's worst than my old 5dc!

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Marici Photo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

That looks terrible.. 35 weddings is a lot but I still wouldnt expect that much damage. My 5DC and 5D2 both look better than that.

And.... you guys are putting tape on your bodies? Never considered doing that.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Hi Joel, mine doesn't look as bad on the sides, but the bottom of mine looks just as bad (34 weddings, probably 100 portrait sessions? Purchased new the day Canon released it). Incidentally, my 5D2 looked bad too when I sold it (dirt cheap because it looked like crap) - but it took 2 years to get that bad (heavy shooting) instead of one.

I try to take good care of my gear. I do shoot a lot. I tried gaffer's tape on it right away but my tape was pulling the finish off! (when I'd have to replace a strip over time I'd notice this!) So those of you using tape, be careful. I purchased mine through Adorama (the tape, that is) and the roll was brand new when I applied it to the camera.

Sarah

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

The whole bottom backside of my 5D3 is silver. The sides still look good for the most part.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:08 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Yikes! Maybe Otterbox needs to start marking a case for DLSRs.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

If they did - I'd buy one.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Wow...It looks like one of those 1,000 wedding 5D classics on ebay.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:42 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Sarah,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1AR0K08707&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

No first hand experience with that but I knew it was out there so I googled it and found this..

I have cameras that are 3-4 years old that still look new...guess I'm not working them hard enough. Needs more gaffer tape.

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 03:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:49 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

Ours have a few small scuff/wear marks on the bottom, but nothing like that at all. That's gnarly! But I think I'll throw some gaffers on ours now to keep them looking good.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:52 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OT: 5D3 Body Wear....

WOW! That's pretty insane! Only downside is resale value drops to nothing when cameras look like that.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.