Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 50L on 1d3 for indoor sports action?

kapytalyst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50L on 1d3 for indoor sports action?

Hello,

I am interested to hear from those who have used the 50L on a 1d3 or other aps-h body for indoor sports action. My home gym for basketball is pretty dark and has me shooting at 3,200 f/2 (trying to stay about 1/400). Sitting on the baseline and shooting in portrait I can get a nice full body shot and part of the net/rim, which will be the primary purpose of this lens. I'm currently using the 50 1.4 and, while it is OK, I think the images could be sharper and perhaps have more contrast to them. I'm wondering if the 50L will offer any improvement(s)?

The lens will secondarily function as a general purpose lens, probably shot below f/2.8 95% of the time.

Thanks!

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:47 PM
lite25e
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50L on 1d3 for indoor sports action?

I can't remember if I ever shot basketball with my 1D3 and the 50 1.2, but I do it a lot with the 1D4 and 50 1.2. It is fantastic. I find that f1.4 or f1.6 works, as a balance between wanting as much light as possible and not wanting way too shallow a depth of field. I'm typically shooting in very poor lighting, right at the edge of the court, shooting young kids.

I owned the 50 1.4, and perhaps it was just my copy, but the autofocus was unreliable for moving action. My keeper rate with the 50 1.2 is MUCH higher.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:30 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50L on 1d3 for indoor sports action?

I haven't used it, but I've heard that it functions well from an autofocus speed perspective. I'd worry about trying to shoot action sports faster than f/2 though. Even at f/2, you are going to struggle to get the whole subject in focus. It should be capable, and better than the 50 1.4, but wasn't clear if you were trying to just get a sharper/quicker outcome at the same f/stop, or if you were trying to do more. My 1D3 did a great job at 3200 f/2.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:35 PM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50L on 1d3 for indoor sports action?

lite25e wrote:
I can't remember if I ever shot basketball with my 1D3 and the 50 1.2, but I do it a lot with the 1D4 and 50 1.2. It is fantastic. I find that f1.4 or f1.6 works, as a balance between wanting as much light as possible and not wanting way too shallow a depth of field. I'm typically shooting in very poor lighting, right at the edge of the court, shooting young kids.

I owned the 50 1.4, and perhaps it was just my copy, but the autofocus was unreliable for moving action. My keeper rate with the 50
...Show more

Took your advice and bought a 50L. Shot a game tonight and I am very impressed with the results. I'm getting way more keepers, but the color and contrast at f/2 are even more impressive. It seems considerably better than I was getting with my old 50 f/1.4.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password