Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit ...

austriker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

Howdy,

So I think this is overdue.. replacing the not very comfortable nikon stock strap for my d700 (that seems to shout, steal me).. I have heard good things about the black rapid strap (for quick access; photoj etc) and then when looking at competitors I found the Joby UltraFit Sling, which has some good reviews..

Has anyone had any experience with one or either of these? I like how the joby has the extra strap but think it might get in the way sometimes.. And its also cheaper by about $20 (but I shouldnt skimp securing my considerably more expensive dslr huh )

Are there other alternatives I should consider? I am honestly a bit terrified to secure my d700 via just one stress point (tripod mount) but sounds like its pretty secure. I did some searching and some people were recommending the "carry speed" (which seems to 'hold' on more to the camera) over the br. So my question evolves I guess to see if anyone has any experience coming the newcomer 'joby' to these?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

You should never secure your camera using one point as the manufacturers would have you believe; use a lanyard of some type. A cord or short secondary strap should act as a redundancy for when a BlackRapid fails.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:14 PM
JOBYian

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

Hi austriker, I work over here at JOBY and saw this thread. If you have a specific question about ours, I can try to answer it the best I can with hopefully a minimum of marketing speak.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

I found the Black Rapid to be very well made but very awkward, it just about requires you to keep a hand on your camera at all times. A neck strap will allow you to let the camera hang for a while.
Good luck, Steve

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:50 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

I use the Optech sling strap as an alternative to the Black Rapid system for my Canon 5D3. It works very well even with an EF 400mm f/5.6L lens attached. It has two attachment points instead of 1 so imho more secure. A friend is using the Optech on his Nikon D4. We both love this strap...I keep telling everyone it's the best $20 I ever spent but I'm using it not because of the price.

I take very long walks while taking bird pictures and this strap works great. When I'm not moving, the camera rests hands free against the hip/thigh without any perceived weight. When I move about, I need to lightly put my hand on it to avoid excessive movement.

I also use a peak design gadget that I mount on the strap of my backpack. I can clip my camera on it securely and run around hands free when I need to. Removing it for occasional picture taking is no problem with this setup. This is for the long hike back to the car at the end of the day...

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

neilvan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

Steve Torelli wrote:
I found the Black Rapid to be very well made but very awkward, it just about requires you to keep a hand on your camera at all times. A neck strap will allow you to let the camera hang for a while.
Good luck, Steve

That's strange, I have used a Black Rapid RS-7 strap for years and love it for walking around with my DSLR's as the camera just stays on my hip, in fact, I often forget it's there. If I am hiking in more strenuous conditions I will add the 'Brad' strap to assist the camera staying in place.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/brad

You might want to check how you have your strap set-up because something doesn't sound right.

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:42 PM
homer99

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

I have been using the Cinch Strap. It also connects using two points. I have one end connected to the camera and the other connected to a RRS tripod plate. That leaves the camera in a more comfortable angle when it is hanging. It's really comfortable with a 400mm lens. It is slightly bulky when I am using a tripod though and I am hoping they will come up with a quick release option.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:33 AM
austriker
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

Thanks for the tips all. I ordered the carry speed cs-1 after reading other posts and such. However being that I dont shoot photoj really much anymore I found it sort of awkward for the camera to dangle there. I think for now I prefer the stock strap where the camera doesnt slide and stays at my side while I dont use it.. Interesting, I feel like I went full circle..

I might check out the other recommendations

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM
moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking to replace stock nikon strap.. new Joby UltraFit Sling vs others

I recommend you check out the UPstrap if you are still looking for a good traditional. It will not slip off your shoulder at all and if the length not real short, you can swing up and shoot as quickly... It obviously takes a bit longer after shooting to get it back on the shoulder for walking.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password