Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Eyvind Ness wrote:
Because I am totally spoiled by the AF system of the 5DmkIII :-) Also, I do not like the ergonomics of the smaller Canon DSLRs (i.e. smaller than 5D-size bodies) and I much prefer CF cards to SD cards.

+1

I am perfectly happy with 5d3 + 7d/17-55is combo

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

vchowdhary wrote:
Like the 5d mark II
D600
D700.

Hmmm......Owned 2 of the 3 (mark II and D700) and if I only go by what I read don't know if I agree. Banding in the 5D MK II shadows bugged the shit out of me along with the outer AF points. D700, Liked it did not love it enough to keep. D600 is very intriguing not sure it is leaps and bounds ahead of the 6D enough to get me to jump ship. At the current price of a used MK II it does tempt me to get another one they are pretty cheap on the used market right now.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:15 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

No doubt the 6D is better than a 5D2, but at present prices I can't see enough of a benefit to upgrade. My 5D2 delivers stunning print performance and I have a nasty feeling that if I upgrade to the 6D the money spent won't actually result in better prints.

I could be wrong of course, but that's the way my mind is going.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:18 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

David Baldwin wrote:
No doubt the 6D is better than a 5D2, but at present prices I can't see enough of a benefit to upgrade. My 5D2 delivers stunning print performance and I have a nasty feeling that if I upgrade to the 6D the money spent won't actually result in better prints.

I could be wrong of course, but that's the way my mind is going.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't feel the end result, prints, will show any difference at all. At a cost of about $900 to upgrade, I just don't see enough benefits to justify.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

timbop wrote:
I am perfectly happy with 5d3 + 7d/17-55is combo

I've got the 5D3/7D combo, and to be honest with you, I've rarely used the 7 at all since I got the Mk III. It truly is a "do-it-all-fairly-well" body. The 7D is also, but it doesn't do it all quite as well as the 5.

I might even sell the 7D. Something to ponder, I guess...

(sorry for swaying a little off topic - I guess I probably won't get a 6D because I have a 5D3).

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:21 PM
danb121
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Michaelparris wrote:
Isn't the sensor the most important factor?

+1, I stated this earlier in the thread, the 7D may do some things better than the 6D but the IQ is surely the most important aspect. I have same sensor in my 550D and the IQ over 400 ISO just isn't good enough!

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

chez wrote:
Exactly my thoughts. I don't feel the end result, prints, will show any difference at all. At a cost of about $900 to upgrade, I just don't see enough benefits to justify.

For me I got a new Ipad for Christmas and it needs a friend to play with....I have plenty of justification right there.

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:33 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I'm one of the 1% who dislike the 5DIII AF, or more specifically the LCD overlay. I have trouble seeing the damn focus points and feel like I spend half my shooting time screwing around with the focusing system.

I see that the 6D has a 5DII-style AF system, but with improved sensitivity. As far as I'm concerned, that's a step toward sanity. I'd trade my 5DIII for a 6D if it weren't for the "consumer ergonomics" on the 6D.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:13 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Michaelparris wrote:
For me I got a new Ipad for Christmas and it needs a friend to play with....I have plenty of justification right there.

I would think a 6D would be mandatory then, perhaps even a moral imperative to purchase immediately, mustn't let your iPad get lonely...I can hear your iPad, it's sad, as there can be no justification for such prolonged torture

To answer your OQ MP, medical bills are postponing my 6D purchase, otherwise in spring it will/would join my 40D in harmony, sharing all but a 10-22mm bit of glass.

On another note, I thought the 5D3 was the 5D2's upgrade, at least that was what all the whining of high price was about. The 6D is simply an entry level body for those that want one, I don't see it as an upgrade from any former 5D body; all before were premium entries, the 5Dc being the 1st consumer level FF, the 5D2 blowing everyone away with it's near double MP/ISO specs and it's fantastic never before seen serious FF movie mode.

The 6D is a vertical move for the 60D, xxD and Rebel users, IMHO it wasn't targeted at the 5D2 owner, the 5D3 was...the lighter/smaller mag/polycarb body should be a small hint don't ya think

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

The 6D really needed dual card slots and flash to trigger remote units. Them not including them two features really lost "value" for me personally.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timbop
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Tom_W wrote:
I've got the 5D3/7D combo, and to be honest with you, I've rarely used the 7 at all since I got the Mk III. It truly is a "do-it-all-fairly-well" body. The 7D is also, but it doesn't do it all quite as well as the 5.

I might even sell the 7D. Something to ponder, I guess...

(sorry for swaying a little off topic - I guess I probably won't get a 6D because I have a 5D3).

Completely understand, but I use 2 bodies when doing weddings (1 WA and 1 telezoom) so I actually do use the 7d quite a bit. I can't see trading in 19 AF points for 1 again. I loved the IQ of my 5d2, but frankly it's pretty cheesy for canon to pull that "one good point" crap again. Seriously, if it had 9 cross points it still wouldn't take away from 5dmark3 sales; probably get more people to spend the extra cash over the 60d/7d instead

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:34 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

6d is a huge disappointment for me. I was hoping at the minimal a 7d-AF system. In this days and age why give us a single1 X-type AF point in a camera that is $2000?! The insult goes deeper with the max Tv is limited to 1/4000th. That's Rebel territory. Well if Canon wants a FF Rebel atleast try and put a pop up flash for CLS.

Just when I thought Canon began to listen to its customers by offering the 1dx and 5d3, they lapsed back into an arrogant stance by tossing together a parts-bin special - the EOS 6d.
It's the love child of a 5d2, 60d, Rebel Ménage à trois.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:20 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I already had a good centre AF point camera and was crying out loud for good AF.

5D classic that is, went 5DIII, looked back just for selling the classic.

I'm not sure I like the SD card thing either.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I had to sell my 1DsII to help finance a 1DIV purchase. My sports shooting and reporting go much further to paying the bills than sales of landscape/art prints. I'm currently without a FF camera and need one. What I want is an updated 1DsIII but at Canon's current madness that will be about $10K. (In this savagely poor region, buying a camera that is worth more than my pickup just isn't possible.) Have looked carefully at the 6D specs and now some pix. I think this camera is capable of beautiful still images even in poor light. Its small form factor will likely be attractive to those who need/want a smaller and lighter camera.

Truthfully, I can't decide just who the Canon marketing droids think will buy this camera. Certainly no one with a 5DIII or a 1DsIII (maybe even 1DsII). Questionable if even 5DII owners will be all that interested. Can Canon convince enough xxxD and XXD owners that a FF camera will increase their sex appeal?

To the OP, I suspect your hesitation (there is no info in your profile as to what you have and what you shoot) is the lurking sense that this is not Canon's finest effort and that it is likely to be a short-term answer to the Nikon D600. For me, I won't get it because it is about the same price as a nice used 1DsIII - and wifi and GPS just aren't useful.

Of course I'm so out of contact with what the "real" world wants that this could be a run away best seller

Robert

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:21 PM
blooninja

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I own a 60D and briefly considered the 6D until I heard about the AF system.

I think I'll wait for the 5D4 in a couple years then get the 5D3.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

OntheRez wrote:
I had to sell my 1DsII to help finance a 1DIV purchase. My sports shooting and reporting go much further to paying the bills than sales of landscape/art prints. I'm currently without a FF camera and need one. What I want is an updated 1DsIII but at Canon's current madness that will be about $10K. (In this savagely poor region, buying a camera that is worth more than my pickup just isn't possible.) Have looked carefully at the 6D specs and now some pix. I think this camera is capable of beautiful still images even in poor light. Its small
...Show more

I am a 5D II owner and I will purchase the 6D despite the fact that Canon crippled it in conserving the joystick. In everything else except 1/8000 (What I have no use/need for) the 6D looks better to me, than my 5D II. I guess I have to share a bit of my own sex appeal with it to make it more attractive for women.

The question of 1Ds III for me was already answered with 5D II because of higher ISO and better IQ. And here in germany a new one is still twice as expensive as a 6D. Only heavily used ones are available at 6Ds price but without any warranty.

Ralph

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:44 PM
walnutroof

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

15Bit wrote:
And i have a 5Dc that i'm quite satisfied with anyway.

this one!

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:53 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I considered adding a 6D as a second body and backup to my 5D III. However, the low Christmas prices convinced me to pick up another 5D II for this purpose. I don't see the 6D as being much of an upgrade from the 5D II, but I do see the appeal to this camera especially those moving up from a Rebel or 60D series.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:30 PM
danb121
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

jrscls wrote:
I considered adding a 6D as a second body and backup to my 5D III. However, the low Christmas prices convinced me to pick up another 5D II for this purpose. I don't see the 6D as being much of an upgrade from the 5D II, but I do see the appeal to this camera especially those moving up from a Rebel or 60D series.

Well that's who it's aimed at Rebel/**D users and the odd 5D2 user like Ralph

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

chez wrote:

You owe it to yourself to try a 6D, and make a few prints.

I use a Z3100ps GP wide-format printer, and in my opinion, prints from the 6D look better. Now, I should add that I just calibrated and profiled a new high gloss paper I haven't used before, so I might be seeing more from the paper..... but even working with the 6D files seems better. I've never been able to push and pull a file like a 6D produces. Maybe they're actually doing something with the extra 2-bits in the 14-bit files they weren't able to do on a 5D2.

There is something about the 6D sensor and the files the camera produces that I can't put my finger on - it's more than just a subtle difference. I kind of wish I had a 5D2 again just so I could take similar shots on both cameras so I could definitively say one way or the other.

I suppose it's entirely possible it's just a love affair I'm having with the 6D coloring my opinion. But I don't think that's the case. I suspect I'd be saying the same if I had a 5D3 or a 1DX.

But the 6D is using a new sensor. Maybe it all boils down to that.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:03 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password