Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Any luck sending in your d600?

recdaco

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Any luck sending in your d600?

Hi,

I'm one of the many who jumped on the D600 + 24-85 deal. When I got the camera, I put a 50mm 1.8 on and reeled off about 200 shots. Comparing the first shot to the last, the number of dust spots jump from 3 to 30. When I called Nikon the representative was very nice, but wouldn't say for sure if they could actually fix the issue or just clean the sensor.

So, I'm wondering what the FMers results with sending in their D600s were. Did they just clean your sensor? Or did they actually fix the root cause of the issue?

Thanks!

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.1 #2 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I would clean it and keep shooting and repeat. Several people report it goes away.

While others don't report any issues from the start.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Any luck sending in your d600?

check this from NR website

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/84/d600-dustoillubrican

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:16 AM
T-D-S

p.1 #4 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I've written a few blog posts about my D600 problems. Crazy! I'll be writing a 4th soon. Mine was sent in to Nikon just a few days ago so we'll see what they do.

http://toddphotos.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/my-nikon-nightmare-the-d600/

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:48 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #5 · Any luck sending in your d600?

T-D-S wrote:
I've written a few blog posts about my D600 problems. Crazy! I'll be writing a 4th soon. Mine was sent in to Nikon just a few days ago so we'll see what they do.

http://toddphotos.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/my-nikon-nightmare-the-d600/

I just read through all 3 of your blog posts. I am sorry you are having so many problems, but I would say stop getting new cameras! I think you should just assume that ALL D600's (or at least all that are going through Bedfords) have the problem. Every time you get a new camera, you are just starting from scratch.

Most people who have put a few thousand shots and then cleaned the sensor don't seem to have the problem anymore. Like there is a certain amount of "dust" or paint or oil, or whatever it is, and once it is all shaken free, the spots don't tend to show up any longer.

In the meantime, I would say shoot at wider apertures. I doubt you would notice any spots at f4 or so. Even with the spots, it should be a perfectly useable camera.

Good luck.

Dylan

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:18 AM
microsnook
• •
p.1 #6 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I finally started seeing some dust on my sensor as well. It came used with about 46 clicks and I have well over a few hundred now with a few spots I havent really spent time assessing damage.

If we have the receipt and warranty cards, do they clean it all for free or what? Unfortunately I dont have a cleaning kit and am nervous about doing it myself...

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:59 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #7 · Any luck sending in your d600?

My experience has been that the dust /debris or whatever it is returns no matter how many times you clean it.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:07 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #8 · Any luck sending in your d600?

@ Dylan

I had put a few thousand pics on my original camera and the spots kept coming. The arrangement I have with Nikon right now is that they're sending me a loaner D600 while they try to fix and return mine. This works for me as it'll now be the same camera and we may finally make some progress. I'll keep sending it back until they fix it (assuming they figure out how to do so!).

Yes, I could shoot at wider apertures, but this isn't always possible when you're shooting landscapes and going for a particular look. Landscapes often require F11 or even F22 when you're going for that star flare pattern.

I am truly amazed at how big and serious this problem is. I've been pleased with the efforts made by Nikon employees I've met, but this problem should have never happened and Nikon continues to try and sweep this under the rug.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #9 · Any luck sending in your d600?

It's almost like the sensor gets static electricity and pulls dust towards it whether you change the lens or not.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #10 · Any luck sending in your d600?

Did you get the deal from Costco? They are very good with returns. I know people returned a 1 year old camera to Costco without problems!

Of course like anything from Costco you would have to buy 1 dozen of D600 at once.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Any luck sending in your d600?

microsnook wrote:
I finally started seeing some dust on my sensor as well. It came used with about 46 clicks and I have well over a few hundred now with a few spots I havent really spent time assessing damage.

If we have the receipt and warranty cards, do they clean it all for free or what? Unfortunately I dont have a cleaning kit and am nervous about doing it myself...

After all the anticipation and dread of cleaning a sensor the first time, once you swipe-swipe and are done, it's kind of a let down how easy and fast it goes. Copperhill has a really good tutorial on their site for 'how to'.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:31 PM
recdaco

p.1 #12 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I decided to send the camera back to Nikon and hope that they actually fix the root cause, not just a sensor clean. I'll report back when I see the camera again. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:33 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Any luck sending in your d600?

The root cause is most likely excess oil used during assembly. Either poor quality control or an assembly line mistake. Somehow it's throwing spots on the sensor, or oil laden dust that won't puff off. It will just take a while and some cleanings to get it right. I had oil in my D700, still get a spot once in a while on the D800e, and just bought a D600. Will see how it goes. I cleaned both immaculately yesterday and will see what happens in the next week or two. It's a race.

The unfortunate thing is that not everyone is adept at this type of "precision" cleaning. I know my dad would not be. So it will be a huge letdown for people that expected perfection and can't / won't solve the problem themselves. Even with all the tutorials available on-line. Just a guess and I could be wrong but the higher pixel count is making it far more noticable too.

Also be sure that sensor cleaning is turned on for the camera. Both at startup and shutdown. My D600 had it off as the default.

Counting on Nikon... no no no no....

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:40 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #14 · Any luck sending in your d600?

@ckcarr, I hope it works for you. I had my sensor cleaned by a pro at the camera shop I purchased from. I immediately walked across the street, snapped 55 shots, and took a blue sky shot. I ended up with 27 new sensor spots. After 65 more shots the next day (and NEVER changing lenses along the way) I had 13 new identifiable spots.

The key is that the spots must end at some point. I've not reached that point yet.

Personally, I'm thinking the paint theory makes sense based on what I've seen and read.

ckcarr wrote:
The root cause is most likely excess oil used during assembly. Either poor quality control or an assembly line mistake. Somehow it's throwing spots on the sensor, or oil laden dust that won't puff off. It will just take a while and some cleanings to get it right. I had oil in my D700, still get a spot once in a while on the D800e, and just bought a D600. Will see how it goes. I cleaned both immaculately yesterday and will see what happens in the next week or two. It's a race.

The unfortunate thing is that not everyone
...Show more

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:43 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #15 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I stumbled upon some D7000 reviews of owners in amazon.com having the same issues. Oil leak when shooting burst due to heat. I wonder if this is the same case if you shoot burst.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:39 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #16 · Any luck sending in your d600?

This is unlike anything before and I doubt they have a fix, it's made offshore (not in Japan). Turning on the cleaning system well that's a joke, it takes multiple heavy wet cleans which last for a bit then once you add some mileage check your sky and be amazed.

A guy on DPR has over 12,000 clicks on his, with multiple cleans and it just comes back....has a video on You Tube, pretty sad. It may be the final push I need to move on from this company.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:14 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · Any luck sending in your d600?

My D600 is a week old and full of spots. The newer D600's still have the problem. I had a D800 last year and it had the exact same issue.

thedruid wrote:
This is unlike anything before and I doubt they have a fix, it's made offshore (not in Japan). Turning on the cleaning system well that's a joke, it takes multiple heavy wet cleans which last for a bit then once you add some mileage check your sky and be amazed.

A guy on DPR has over 12,000 clicks on his, with multiple cleans and it just comes back....has a video on You Tube, pretty sad. It may be the final push I need to move on from this company.

My D800 had 20K actuation's and it still happened frequently.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:38 PM
recdaco

p.1 #18 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I just got my D600 back from Nikon service. I made sure to ask them on the phone to make sure the camera got fixed, and not just cleaned. In additional I included a letter in the box asking the same thing. Anybody want to guess what they did? Yup, they cleaned the sensor and fired off 750 shots.

I took it out, retested it, and of course, the same dust spots come right back. There's a good chance this was a final straw for me after trying out a few D800s that all had focusing issues, and I may, sadly, have to move to Canon. It's disappointing to learn that not only their manufacturing control is sub-par, but also their repair centers.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:14 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.1 #19 · Any luck sending in your d600?

I took the plunge in Nov. and purchased the D600 with the 16-35G and 501.8G. I shoot with a 5Dm2 but was amazed at the DR of the D600/D800 sensor for my landscape photography. The D600 had spot issues and the 16-35 gave me red streaks when doing long exposures. Needless to say, I was pretty dissapointed with Nikon QC. Sent it all back for a refund and decided I'd either shoot with the 5D and put up with the older tech or just wait for a good deal on a D800.

I'm still amazed at the image quality from the D600 though (once the spots get cloned out). Holy cow.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #20 · Any luck sending in your d600?

VinnieJ wrote:
My D600 is a week old and full of spots. The newer D600's still have the problem. I had a D800 last year and it had the exact same issue.

My D800 had 20K actuation's and it still happened frequently.

I'm just under 1,000 shots on my D600 and have yet to *notice* any spots in my pictures. What are the conditions people are seeing these so frequently, stopped down and on a white background? I'll have to give it a try, but so far it has not effected my work... Crossing my fingers!

Chris C.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password