Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo'g folks on the street....

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo'g folks on the street....

I though I'd post this link FWIW to folks here who might be considering to venture into taking pictures of people on the streets. I found it very helpful.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.ca/2011/05/approval-tacit-approval-implied.html

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo'g folks on the street....

Well-written piece that contains a lot of that common sense that often isn't so common. I'm bookmarking it. Thanks.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:34 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo'g folks on the street....

You're welcome

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:22 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo'g folks on the street....

Two thumbs up!

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:05 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo'g folks on the street....

FWIW, I today went down to Philly Photographics to pick up my last 4 rolls of film. As I left I saw a gentleman across the street, maybe homeless, or, at least, down on his luck. He had a beautiful face. I reached into my pocket and found 5$. I crossed the street and said, "Sir, you have such a beautiful face, may I take a picture of you, and as I said that I handed him the crumpled bills. He never looked at what I gave him, stuffing them into his jacket pocket. He said, "why of course, where would you like to do that?" I said "you just set up anywhere you want, and you don't have to do anything, just be yourself." With that, he took up a position; I took his picture and asked if I could do one more, and he moved his head so that I got what I recall as a profile shot. At the end of that contact he said: "My name is Ron. I grew up in this neighborhood an used to live right up the street at ......... It isn't there any more." I told him how much I appreciated his having helped me out. He said "well, you have made my day. Thank you so much." I thanked him as well, and told him that I will get prints made of the pictures and bring them back to him when I get them developed. He said that would be really special. It was a very moving encounter I can tell ya. I used my Contax G2 with a 90/2.8 and Fuji 400H. I'm just learning how to use that setup, so I hope the pictures turn out well. FWIW, I've never ever before done something like this.

Thanks, Bob

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:30 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo'g folks on the street....

anthonysemone wrote:
FWIW, I today went down to Philly Photographics to pick up my last 4 rolls of film. As I left I saw a gentleman across the street, maybe homeless, or, at least, down on his luck. He had a beautiful face. I reached into my pocket and found 5$. I crossed the street and said, "Sir, you have such a beautiful face, may I take a picture of you, and as I said that I handed him the crumpled bills. He never looked at what I gave him, stuffing them into his jacket pocket. He said, "why of course, where
...Show more

Awesome story and lesson on how to catch a street shot without being sneaky or obnixious.
I'm certain it makes for a better photo, too, than either of the other methods.
-T

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:53 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo'g folks on the street....

_T,

I've spent my entire professional life respecting the boundaries between others and me, clearly recognizing personal space territory, as it were. I just have never been comfortable with a long lens and indeed have felt like a private detective, spy, etc, so I quit doing that. I then moved to shooting from the hip/chest, and got two or three pretty good photos of folks doing that, but somehow felt not much different, despite having those pretty decent candids.

Today I had the absolute benefit of making personal contact with a gentleman whose facade may have put off others; I know it did me the first time I saw him as I drove by. But, I found that when I commented on something that was absolutely true in my experience, that he had a beautiful face, I could tell the truth, and ask him for his assistance. Had he said "no" I would have given him the few dollars anyway.

Now I gotta get the role developed so I can see if it turned out okay.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo'g folks on the street....

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of this gentleman. Thanks for sharing your great experience.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:36 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo'g folks on the street....

Well, here's my first attempt at photo'g a person up close and with his permission. This is RB. What a delightful man. I'm excited to get the prints back to give them to him. Taken on Fuji 400H Pro with my Contax G2 and 90/2.8, Shutter on A, Aperture probably at f8. C&C most welcome

RB

RB

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:45 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo'g folks on the street....

Wow, great job! Love the eyes. But most of all, you photographed him in a humanistic way. He looks proud and you have displayed his dignity.

I am usually a bit reluctant to shoot low to high. More light comes from above, so the eyes are sometimes deprived. But these catchlights are terrific!

Your experience mirrors mine in that most folks in this situation are grateful for the attention (and $5, of course . They suffer from the pain of exclusion (from society) and appreciate human contact.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:13 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo'g folks on the street....

Bob,

thank you so kindly for your feedback He was quite a tall person, and I'm only 5'7" sopping wet, so I didn't know what to do about that. In retrospect I think the money was more to assuage my feelings for intruding upon him. It is true however that he seemed genuinely to appreciate the opportunity. Prints are on their way back, and I'll be on the lookout for him when I go back down to have more film developed. He indeed had a quality of dignity that I hoped to have gotten. Thanks again, Bob.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.